Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Buenos Aires - MERGED THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buenos Aires - MERGED THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:55 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Glad this thread came up now, because I've just started thinking about the trip I have booked to EZE next January/February. (All I have now are the tickets, which I got free through the AANYC promotion).

I'll be there for a total of 8 nights, which I figure is too long to stay just in EZE, so I'm trying to decide where else to go.

Is there much gay going on in Mar del Plata? Is it worth flying down there for a couple of nights? Can I get around in the town itself without a car -- or is everything spread out?

I also figure I might head to Uruguay for a day or two. Does anyone have any recommendations for Montevideo?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:44 pm

Montevideo is a nice day trip, from what I have been told.

With 8 days in EZE, I'd either take a short trip to Mendoza for wine tasting or to Iguazu Falls (both the Brasilian and Argentine sides). Aerolineas Argentinas has a city office in BsAs where you can book these flights. You may want to try and pre-book.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Mariott, SPG - Now if only I was travelling more...
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
I also figure I might head to Uruguay for a day or two. Does anyone have any recommendations for Montevideo?
You might want to check re: visas for Canadians. Back when I was living in BsAs back in the late 90s, Canada and Uruguay were sniping at each other and, as a result, Canadians couldn't get tourist visas on a while you wait basis, unlike Argentinians and Americans.

As for BsAs, I never spent any time exlporing the Gay spots when I was there, though I did read NX.

Cheers,

Mike
Old Aug 24, 2004, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by BuddyBoy
You might want to check re: visas for Canadians. Back when I was living in BsAs back in the late 90s, Canada and Uruguay were sniping at each other and, as a result, Canadians couldn't get tourist visas on a while you wait basis, unlike Argentinians and Americans.
Thanks for the warning. (Although I just Googled, and it looks like the Canada/Uruguay snit is over, and no visa is required)
Old Aug 25, 2004, 1:30 am

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
I took a day trip from BsAs to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay using the Buquebus hydrofoil that took about an hour. I think the boat to Montevideo is just under 3 hours.

http://www.buquebus.com/argentina/home.htm

The pricing was great when I went (3.3 AR$ = 1USD, now 3:1) and so everything was cheap in perspective. I went and toured Casa Rosada (the President's house), but you need to stop by the museum under the house and ask to get on the list -- they have to take a few hours to clear you through Interpol or something similar.

I didn't get to the gay spots, but I'd love to go back. I got a UA long weekend special at the last minute for ~$450 after taxes, but haven't seen that price again since then.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:24 am

Why not spend a couple of days with the bronzed and beautiful at Punta del Este?

I had three great nights there which I booked through a travel agent in BSAS, including flights from AEP to Punta. Send me a PM if you want their details.

We stayed in the Conrad which is supposed to be the best hotel in Punta. It was very American, but very very nice. We also spent two nights in Casapueblo, which was quite an experience, and only twenty minutes in a taxi from Punta itself.

http://www.aluruguay.com/Ehotelcasapueblo.htm

The beaches around Punta del Este are amazing. It was quite a nice contrast to the fast pace of life (and pollution) in BSAS.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Platinum
it looks like i'm going to have wait for a better airfare.. I called expedia and no flights on their packages to EZE get miles! We were ready to go, but i also want to ensure i keep my status this year too.

I'm going to keep an eye out for esavers.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by catwood
it looks like i'm going to have wait for a better airfare.. I called expedia and no flights on their packages to EZE get miles! We were ready to go, but i also want to ensure i keep my status this year too.

I'm going to keep an eye out for esavers.
The expedia packages offer the best prices by far now. Even with hotels that are cheaper than the published airfare. However, expedia CSRs are completely clueless about fare basis codes and mileage earning.

Since all paid UA flights earn miles on UA i think the agent was mistaken. (although if you are trying to credit to US i habe no idea what those rules are)

However finding out what the fare basis code is so you can see if the fare is upgradeable is next to pulling teeth. You would think it was a state secret!

rich
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:40 am

Programs: A shadow of my former self
Iguaçu Falls!

Hi there! If you're in BA for a week+, I strongly second the recommendation to go to Iguaçu Falls. It's the single-most beautiful natural site I've ever visited... a true wonder of the natural world. There's not just one falls -- there are thousands of them, spread over hundreds of acres. Endless wooden boardwalks allow you to walk in and out among the lush vegetation with colorful tropical birds flying overhead and rainbows from the spray in every direction. [Obligatory GLBT content: The rainbows resemble the famous gay pride symbol. ]

Getting there and back can be dicey (when we were there, our Varig flight out flew right by, not even stopping at IGU because there were no available seats) but it's worth every moment.

David
Old Aug 26, 2004, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Catwood,

I am familiar with all the hotels you listed except the Argenta Towers. I would recommend the Wilton. I wouldn't exactly say it's in Recoleta but it's close, and anyway staying in Recoleta really isn't that big of a deal. The Wilton is in a good location that will allow you to walk to the bars and almost all destinations in the city you will want to visit will be a short taxi ride away (and a cheap one).

That said, if you prefer luxury over a convenient location, the Sheraton is pretty nice. It's no 5-star hotel but it's nice. The only true 5 stars in EZE are the Alvear Palace and the Four Seasons, though neither are worth the money. The NH City often has good rates and is nice but I'm not a big fan of the other NH hotels.

One of my good friends is a travel agent in Buenos Aires. If you (or anyone) would like her info I can pass that along; send me a PM. She's great for booking hotels or apartments (cheaper, often nicer, and in great locations), she's trustworthy, and she speaks fluent English.

Toronto,

MVD is b-o-r-i-n-g!! I made my partner, who is Argentine and lives in Bs As, take me to MVD in June. Every time we told his friends we were going they all got a puzzled look and asked why we were bothering. That should've been my first clue. Anyway it's not *bad* there, it's just boring. Instead go to Punta del Este which is really fun. Lots of gorgeous people, especially in the summer. (Actually it's pretty empty in the winter.) You can get there easily from Buenos Aires by taking Buquebus as some of the others have commented. There are also several daily short hop flights on Pluna and AeroVIP from AEP, which is right in the city unlike EZE, to Punta del Este. Splurge and stay at the Conrad.

Mar del Plata (MDQ) is really crowded in the summer but not too much going on. It's a nice beach town where the Argentine middle class traditionally goes for summer holidays. There are some bars but no gay ones (that I saw, anyway). If you do go, I suggest staying either at the Sheraton or the Costa Galana. But I strongly recommend going to Punta del Este instead, or if you want to stay in Argentina try one of the nicer beach towns like Pinamar. It's smaller with even less going on than MDQ but with a nicer beach.

If I can help anyone with any other info please feel free to shoot me a PM. All of this has made me wish I was down there right now!! Oh well. Have to hang in there till a bit later this year!

Justin
Old Aug 31, 2004, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Marriott Gold
Friendly Apartments in BA

A friend and I have a 10-day trip to Rio and BA planned in February (using US miles for two FC tickets on Varig). We came across a great site called Friendly Apartments: http://www.friendlyapartments.com/apart.htm.

As you'll see, they have places available that sleep 2-6 people starting at just $250 per WEEK! All are right near the gay area and offer extras such as local guides, etc. From our experiences, the staff has been quite friendly. Definitely worth a look.

-Greg
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:07 pm

Not LGBT related, but be sure not to miss the great EZE discussion thread here (I just stumbled across it a few days ago):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=310939&page=1
Old Sep 14, 2004, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by Toronto1970
Not LGBT related, but be sure not to miss the great EZE discussion thread here (I just stumbled across it a few days ago):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...=310939&page=1
WOW!!!There sure is a lot of interest in BA!I am really looking forward to it next year.
My plan is for 5 nights in BA,1 night in Igacieo,and 3 nights in Rio.
I think I can do LAX/BA ns on United-but I will have to Varig it back from Rio ,saving up the miles for biz or F for this LLLLLOOOOONNNNG flight!
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, Southwest Airlines Preferred Plus
My partner and I are going to EZE the week of Thanksgiving (one way to get out of tedious family obligations!). We are staying at the Four Seasons (which I understand used to be the Park Hyatt). First trip there for both of us. What are the highlights of the gay scene? Any specific advice as to the names of bars, types of crowds there etc would be helpful. Thanks also for the comments on Montevideo and other day excursions.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 5:46 pm

Buenos Aires is the BEST city with one of the best gay night lifes ever. check out www.thegayguide.com.ar for a good selection of nightlife listings. my favorite was Sitges, and Palacio is supposed to be incredible. feel free to e-mail me if you have any further questions

Originally Posted by BNAFlyer
My partner and I are going to EZE the week of Thanksgiving (one way to get out of tedious family obligations!). We are staying at the Four Seasons (which I understand used to be the Park Hyatt). First trip there for both of us. What are the highlights of the gay scene? Any specific advice as to the names of bars, types of crowds there etc would be helpful. Thanks also for the comments on Montevideo and other day excursions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.