Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moscow/Russia trip

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Smile Moscow/Russia trip

If you'd like to have a gay-friendly companion / guide in Moscow - please write me on fb (same nickname) or check our site lileumoscowguide ) We will be glad to get acquainted))
Old Aug 23, 2017, 5:26 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
Sounds like a trap!

I'm sort of joking.
tatterdema and rhivolution like this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only sort of.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Hope you are) Cuz people are still so afraid to visit Russia.. so we'd like to convince them in the opposite))
And despite that we've just started - we have good references already, as we became friends with people we met (Switzerland, Canada, Columbia etc.)
Moscow is cool for real) As is Saint Petersburg You just need right acquaintance here and a little help

Last edited by lileumike; Aug 23, 2017 at 9:37 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
I was in USSR in 1986 and it was ok except for communism, now I will never visit Russia because of discrimination and blatant gay rights violations!
Old Sep 3, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Sad to hear that, @djjaguar64
We encourage people to look at changes here (Moscow exactly is different from Russia) or get to know to the city/country at least once per life))
And of course support local gay community by visit, because it is still important for people to feel support.
Old Sep 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lileumike
Sad to hear that, @djjaguar64
We encourage people to look at changes here (Moscow exactly is different from Russia) or get to know to the city/country at least once per life))
And of course support local gay community by visit, because it is still important for people to feel support.

I love travel, and I wanted to visit again but after the Gay rights violations we changed our minds. So sorry for the gay people of Russia to be humiliated by their government. Sad. One day I will come back.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Will be going later in the year to Moscow and St Petersburg - first time since 1985. Have been unsure about it - purely from the point of view of not wanting to actually support a regime that has turned a blind eye to what has happened in Chechnya and has an appalling track record on gay rights. However, decided to bite the bullet and make the trip now, fearing that after the eyes are off Russia post the 2018 World Cup that things could take a turn for the worse.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
I'd love a guide there. Although I read that the group Erasure would not perform there on their latest tour because of the questions they ask on the visa. Did anyone else encounter this form of discrimination in the visa process? I also read on a blog from a gay frequent traveler that it is a complicated process.

Good point on things turning for the worse after the World Cup. Now may be the best time to support the gay community there.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:02 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Use a Visa Agency to get the Russian visa.
It is not complicated at all (not more complicated than getting any other visa - Brazil, China, etc)

Another option is to go on a cruise with a stop in St. Petersburg. No VISA needed if you go on a tour organized by the cruise line.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 11:10 pm

sounds interesting
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
I've done one better - I moved to Moscow where my Russian husband is from and lived peacefully here for the last 2.5 years.

Russia is not exactly dangerous nor is it that bad to be gay in either. Too much media hype.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by ilcannone
I've done one better - I moved to Moscow where my Russian husband is from and lived peacefully here for the last 2.5 years.

Russia is not exactly dangerous nor is it that bad to be gay in either. Too much media hype.
Do you know if gay kids are bullied in high school?
Can you openly talk to any doctor about gay men health issues? (STDs, anal intercourse related issues, etc?)
How is HIV in Russia? How do HIV+ gay men manage in Russia? Are there medicines? Can they openly talk about their HIV+ status with health providers without constant fear?
Are you and your husband out at work?
Do you have the option of putting your husband under your insurance if you needed to?
How does a 21 year old have fun and have sex/ date? Is it easy? Is there an all male party you can go to?
Can you file taxes together and get the corresponding benefits as a couple?
Do workplaces usually have anti discrimination protection rules/laws?
Can you take your husband to the company annual holiday party?
Could you adopt if you wanted to?

Of course, you and your husband have adjusted to your life in Moscow.
And I am sure you will say a lot of the questions above don't apply to YOU. Of course. YOU.
Or perhaps you live happy as long as you keep your gayness to yourself?

I am sure my husband and I could probably adapt and have a happy life in Russia. Based on this, I am not going to generalize and say that gay life is great in Russia or not that bad.
IMO, it sucks to be in the closet.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jan 25, 2018 at 1:57 pm
Old Jan 26, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Do you know if gay kids are bullied in high school? - pretty sure this will happen anywhere in the world.

Can you openly talk to any doctor about gay men health issues? (STDs, anal intercourse related issues, etc?) - even straight people here fear doing that...and as a country which relies on recommendations etc, there's always a way to find the best solution to it.

How is HIV in Russia? - increasingly worse which relates to the above point

How do HIV+ gay men manage in Russia? Are there medicines? - medicines are there for sure and even free of charge from what I understand, so medicines and even HIV centres exist, albeit I am almost sure this applies to only Moscow/St P, doubt it would outside these two places.

Can they openly talk about their HIV+ status with health providers without constant fear? - as per an earlier point, straight and gay people alike fear this.

Are you and your husband out at work? - me, no, but I have no need to disclose such information in my field, nor does he, although some people in both our cases are aware. Honestly, most people don't really care that much, to be honest. They just don't wanna talk about it.

Do you have the option of putting your husband under your insurance if you needed to? - I'm not American.

How does a 21 year old have fun and have sex/ date? Is it easy? Is there an all male party you can go to? - VERY easy in Moscow and St P, both have plenty of places, harder outside the two but still possible. Well, except the all-male parties, depending on what you define as that.

Can you file taxes together and get the corresponding benefits as a couple? - My taxes are sorted separately anyway so it's not necessary. Again, not American here.

Do workplaces usually have anti discrimination protection rules/laws? - this is Russia...but seriously, I'm sure there are SOME, but not many. Even if there were, I doubt many would be enforced. I'm self-employed anyway so whatever.

Can you take your husband to the company annual holiday party? - again, self-employed, so this doesn't apply, and even if it did, I wouldn't even go myself.

Could you adopt if you wanted to? - I wouldn't adopt anyway. So whatever.

Or perhaps you live happy as long as you keep your gayness to yourself? - I keep it to myself even in Ireland/UK or visiting places like Germany, USA, etc. I don't feel the need to make a deal of it.

The amazing thing is that there are actually a LOT of couples in Moscow at least who have been together for years and years, some of whom have even married and stayed in the country regardless. Of course, some have left either through marriage, work, asylum etc, but quite honestly, I've had more issues with homophobia in New York, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, London and San Francisco than anywhere else in the world despite acting EXACTLY the same everywhere else. Christ, even Saudi Arabia didn't even pose any problems bar some locals driving up to me asking for a 'ride' (i.e. sexytime)
Old Jan 26, 2018, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by ilcannone
Do you know if gay kids are bullied in high school? - pretty sure this will happen anywhere in the world.
No it doesn't.
Your answer about "keeping to yourself" says a lot.
Live in Russia? Based on what you said in your recent posts, no thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.