Search

First time in Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 7:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
How was Dubai?
Did you like it? Would you recommend it as a worthy tourist destination in general?
I think it's worth seeing once to see what the hype is all about but I think it doesn't warrant multiple visits.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mcbg1
I think it's worth seeing once to see what the hype is all about but I think it doesn't warrant multiple visits.
Dubai is amazing, I would assume one goes to Dubai to visit not pick up men but to each their own.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Dubai is amazing, I would assume one goes to Dubai to visit not pick up men but to each their own.
If closeted expats (including those who identify as "straight") is your thing, you'll find plenty in DXB.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by daniellam
If closeted expats (including those who identify as "straight") is your thing, you'll find plenty in DXB.
No doubt, however, if you are going on vacation and wanting sex there are other places better then Dubai.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
I know that QR do not allow people of the opposie sex in the cabin crew accommodation in DOH after a certain time.

Obviously less of an issue if your guest is of the same gender but probably unwise anyway, especially as the accommodation is shared.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
QR also seperates couple who are not married, as my nephew and his bride found out on their honeymoon.

As the tickets were still in her maiden name to match her passport - they had to sit apart all the way from MEL to LHR and return.

Airline policy and they would not budge
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by adampenrith
QR also seperates couple who are not married, as my nephew and his bride found out on their honeymoon.

As the tickets were still in her maiden name to match her passport - they had to sit apart all the way from MEL to LHR and return.

Airline policy and they would not budge
Was he sitting next to only other men and she other women? I find this story incredulous.
What's the policing the airline does on this?
Old Sep 16, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Was he sitting next to only other men and she other women? I find this story incredulous.
What's the policing the airline does on this?
Agreed, hard to fathom something so ridiculous
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:22 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Not sure if the seating was segregated.

My new neice in law just complained that she had to sit apart from her husband for all the flights - she asked to be seated together but was told it was airline policy to seperate singles travelling together.

As her ticket and passport where still in her maiden name - there was not opportunity to change

QR is very pedantic with how they monitor air crew.

Flight attendants live in company provided apartments, with security. The security guards are moved every 3 months so no one gets too familiar, and all crew are expected to be in their apartments by 2200. If anyone is out later than that or does not come home for the night - they are reported to the company,

it normally results in a dismissal, their bank accounts frozen, and deportation. They are then also denied reentry to the country.

While QR may be a great airline to fly with, I would not due to their inhumane attitudes
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by adampenrith
My new neice in law just complained that she had to sit apart from her husband for all the flights - she asked to be seated together but was told it was airline policy to seperate singles travelling together.
I do believe that they could not sit together.
I can also believe that someone may have told them that "singles traveling together" have to sit apart.

However, I find hard to believe that that's what actually happened. The reasons why they got separate seats could have been numerous.

While QR may have intrusive policies towards their employees, they definitely do not transfer to its revenue generating pax.

That is as ridiculous as saying that QR does not serve alcohol on board or at lounges (which they graciously do and abundantly) or prohibits non-Muslim women to wear what they wish. I've flown QR many times this year and that's not the case.

It would have to be in their COC, which is not. Your relatives probably encountered an agent that decided to make up the rules or just assumed that that's what happened. Hard to tell in this hearsay story.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Gold.
I've booked a trip to Dubai in order to take my daughter on holiday. I'm trans and went full time 6 months ago. My passport is in my correct name and gender is correct (female). I'm very passable with just a little more work needing done on my voice. Someone has raised doubts about the wisdom of going to Dubai. As my daughter is only 11yo we will just be doing the tourist stuff and will not be going to nightclubs etc.

Can anyone advise if we will encounter any difficulties?

TIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.