Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Gay activist traveling to Dubai

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gay activist traveling to Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by traveler0909
It is only when the manager hinted at the nature of my profession...
What did the manager write?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
I travel to Dubai quite often as my sister lives there, and have yet to have any problems. The gay scene is quite active and have sampled the local culture many times without incident. I do stay at large, anonymous hotels, and am discreet in public. Once you're there I think you'll see it really is a non issue.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL SkyClub, DL AmEx Plat, SPG +, Hilton Silver, Hertz, Thrifty BlueChip, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by david4455
Interesting discussion.

I present two thoughts..... all personal.

1. I would never willingly spend my tourist $$ in a country or State ( I live in the US) that discriminates, or worse, finds illegal, my sexual orientation. ( Even though you live in such a country you are familiar with how to traverse it's laws) The fact that your cousin choose Dubai to celebrate a birthday w/o consideration of your risks would be enough to decline the invitation.

2. The fact that you are already worried and a bit paranoid about possible consequences on your arrival is a pretty lousy way to start a happy celebration. If it was me, I would cancel, take the financial loss, and tell my cousin I will celebrate with them on more friendly and familiar lands.
My personal opinion - as an American - I won't go to such countries. My own sister tried to plan her wedding in a Caribbean country that is not welcoming and has mild to moderate penalties for being gay. By most reports, simply police harassment. I told her I was not going to go and spend my money in that country. She researched, apologized for having had the thought (never was my plan to fight her and/or get an apology), but she then moved it because she wanted me there. Just my two cents. Stay safe if you go. Wishing you all the best.

I, personally, don't care if you 'can' get away with it. You shouldn't have to and I won't go where I'm not wanted. My money spends very well in other places!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by justforfun
I travel to Dubai quite often as my sister lives there, and have yet to have any problems. The gay scene is quite active
Isn't the above kind of misleading??
How do you define a gay scene "quite active".

For me a "quite active" gay scene would be a place where there is always something going on. A happening restaurant full of gays, a beach full of gays, lots of bars and clubs to hang out with similar homos without having to search for too much or having to go underground
Berlin, London and Los Angeles come to my mind.

That there are 10 pages of thumbnails of nearby gays on Grindr or Scruff or that I get 20 different "woofs" or "hi's" in 20 mins (or 500 in 30 secs) does not mean a quite active gay scene for me. It is just a quite active Grindr or Scruff scene (which not always leads to actual hook ups).
Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Active but on the down lo!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.