Wiki Posts
Search

Shanghai advice

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, A3 *G
Shanghai advice

Couldn't find any recent discussion on Shanghai...so hopefully someone can help.

I'll be visiting the city for 3 days in early September for the first time. I'm trying to work out where to locate myself to maximise the experience/make it easy to do the touristy stuff. I'd ideally like to be near a gay friendly gym (California Fitness?) too.

Any recommendations on the best area and any nice hotel options (4* type property) would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any tips!
Old May 11, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'd stay on the Puxi side of the river. While Pudong certainly is eye-popping and has a number of luxury hotels, Puxi ultimately is more convenient to more things without having to cross the river which can be challenging at rush hour in a taxi.

It's also more walkable than Pudong - the scale is much more human. But either way you're going to love it. Our last stay was at Les Suites Orient

http://www.lessuitesorient.com/default-en.html

Not 100% convenient, but the views across the river were stunning and the room included a lovely breakfast.

Only thing is you'll become very aware of how little we invest in infrastructure in this country. Have a great time, China can be a lot of fun.

Last edited by MDWCommuter; May 11, 2015 at 8:28 pm
Old May 18, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: AZ FA+, BA & UA Gold
For 3 days and an adherence to a more traditional itinerary, I think the Xintiandi or People's Square areas can do you pretty well. Both areas have multiple subway lines to access, are rather upscale, but not too far from the more unique parts of town.

Don't really know where your budget's at, but hotels in China are priced rather affordable to their star rating (which is inflated by itself, so I do recommend spending that bit extra if possible).

XTD: Ascott / Langham / Andaz (5*). Personal thumbs up for the Andaz. Mr and Mrs Fitness and Will's are a short walk down the road.

PS: Le Royal Meridien / JW Marriott Tomorrow Square (5*) and the Radisson Blu are here. Physical is situated in Raffles City (really close to LRM), and I think it's a few notches beyond just "gay-friendly"
Old May 19, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
I know it doesn't necessarily fit the criteria exactly, but my husband and I stayed at the Astor House Hotel, which is right at the northern end of the Bund, and we REALLY enjoyed it. Coincidentally, I watched a Chinese film on the plane from PVG to HKG, and the evening ball scene was filmed in this hotel's breakfast room...
Old May 26, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: Frantic Hilton/Marriott runs
Enhancements has it covered. Puxi is much more accessible than Pu-Jersey. I found the hotel gyms in some of the 5 stars (ahem.. JW Marriott) way too friendly with the lingering gazes. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.