Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest & Prague

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Budapest & Prague

I have 5 days to spend between the two. Which would you give 3 days and which would you give 2?

Edit: it'll be the spring around mid-May.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:29 pm
Suspended

What are you looking for? I liked Budapest much better than Prague: friendlier people, better value for money, great swimming pools and baths. Not as over-crowed.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 7:59 am

Any recommendations on baths? I hear there is not a "gay" one per se. Places where LGBT people hang ? heading there for tksgiving. thanks
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
What are you looking for? I liked Budapest much better than Prague: friendlier people, better value for money, great swimming pools and baths. Not as over-crowed.
Really open for whatever, I actually think given what you said I will do 3 nights in BUD and 2 in PRG so I can do a Friday in one and Sat in the other instead of what would be Fri/Sat/Sun all in PRG.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Agree with the above. I preferred Budapest. I spent 5 days in each city. Prague is a fascinating city with a lot of history, but it reminded me of Barcelona or Lisbon, in that it's become a tourist factory and doesn't seem to function as an actual city. Budapest seems to be off the beaten path and there's alot to discover.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by davidliu
Any recommendations on baths? I hear there is not a "gay" one per se. Places where LGBT people hang ? heading there for tksgiving. thanks
I loved the Rudas baths. It is probably the most homo erotic thing I have ever done. They give you a loin cloth to wear, and once inside it is fun to watch how people wear them. Some people ask for 2, and wear them front and back. Other people carry them in their hand. It is a large complex, with layered steam and sauna, where each one gets a little hotter. While not "Gay", there is plenty to look at, and a little action in the shower area. Add to that the architecture, and your eyes wont quit moving . Kiraly was the gay bath, but it was closed last time I was there, and don't think it has reopened yet, or if it ever will. To me, it was kind of icky. All of the bathhouses are worth a visit for different reasons, just Rudas was by far my favorite, and the most gay. I stayed a month, and went almost every day.

I also much prefer Budapest over Prague. Budapest is a working city, with all its flaws on full display. Prague felt like a Disneyland to me, with just tourist junk everywhere. You should see both though.... Some people prefer Prague for that exact reason... I just felt it was phony.

Last edited by tatterdema; Nov 17, 2014 at 10:38 am
Old Nov 21, 2014, 2:06 am

Programs: HH Silver
BTW, Conde Nast just named Budapest #2 and Prague #3 of the 10 best cities in Europe...
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went to the Gellert baths in Budapest. Not gay at all - mostly men in their 60s+ - but a very cool experience in a gorgeous setting.

I liked both Budapest and Prague, but went to Prague 10+ years ago so I'm sure it's changed.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:33 pm

I would give Budapest 3 days and Prague 2.
Budapest has the baths and more affordable.

We stayed at art'otel Budapest and were in a room with a gorgeous view of the Parliament Building outside our balcony.

Enjoy!
Old May 12, 2015, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

So I'm there next week for 3 nights BUD & 2 nights PRG.

Anything in terms of bars, clubs, etc to be on the look for? Or more anything to AVOID? Am I going to walk in and find a Hire A Bel-Ami Boy night?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat/Star Gold
Headed to Budapest next week - any updates since the last post here? Baths? Bars? Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:22 pm

Headed there at the end of a River Cruise for four days....hope you will come back redreusam and update!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:15 pm

I'd say Budapest. Great baths but not many gay venues. Gay nightlife in Budapest is more event based, so I recommend checking out www.qalendar.hu for gay and lesbian parties. I think the selection of music is better in Budapest. You get lot of pop stuff but also proper techno parties with nice people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.