Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

need help deciding - BKK or MNL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

So I'm trying to decide on my vacation for next Spring. I"m undecided between Bangkok or Manila. I'll either go in March or April of 2015. Gay American male here traveling solo (I always travel solo) so any recommendations on which might be the better choice. I'd like not to spend a TON on hotel (less than US$200 a night is good.) In terms of "likes" I ALWAYS tend to vacation in cities but beach is cool too. I don't plan on leaving either Metro area. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:55 pm

Go to BKK. Enjoy!
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:26 am

Another vote for BKK - better food, better nightlife, easier to get around (vs. Manila traffic), and you should be able to get great hotels for under $200 USD a night.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:15 am

BKK for sure! Lots to do, eat, and shop, and you can avoid traffic (for the most part) by using the Skytrain and subway. You can get good 4-star hotels for under $100 and deluxe 5-star ones for under $200.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
In BKK you can get good hotels for less than US$75 and in the city. HI Express at USD$50 per noght in Siam Sq. So look carefully and you can get a good deal. There are local hotels for $35.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Executive Plat previous CO / UA Premier Gold
go to MNL! everyone speaks English, navigating is much easier. Visit El Nido, Palawan and Boracay
Old Aug 2, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
Originally Posted by flynew
go to MNL! everyone speaks English, navigating is much easier. Visit El Nido, Palawan and Boracay
and also Amanpulo :-)
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Haha I like that the Manila recommendations above actually have you NOT in Manila but on islands hundreds of miles from MNL.
I would say if you have never been to either, Bangkok is much easier in terms of getting around, public transit, and actual things to see and do. Amazing food too. Great nightlife, mostly centered in the Saladaeng/Silom/Sathorn areas, at least the nightlife that foreigners are interested in. Wonderful shopping, people speak decent enough English in the tourist areas. Amazing gay sauna called Babylon, though after a few times some people start to complain--it's a beautiful building that's showing its age but has a nicely landscaped swimming pool, functioning gym, nice restaurant, and plenty of Thai guys (and foreigners, mostly aged 40+) to play with.
As for Manila, I actually love it. It's dirty, chaotic, horrible traffic, etc. Very few "must-see" sites. Terrible public transit. Filipino food ain't so good--heavy and fried mostly, though I can always find something good to eat.

Why do I like it? Because I like places that tourists don't. You get a more "real" place vs. the place that is full of touts and people looking to make $$ off of tourists. I hate Ko Samui, probably as much as I'd hate Boracay, literally the ONLY place in the Philippines that even any Filipino could imagine a foreigner visiting. If you are looking to meet locals for drinks or going out, you'll have so many messages on Gay Romeo/Grindr etc that you'll have to turn off your account. I'm not kidding.
3 years ago I visited Dumaguete, Siquijor, and Bohol, and had an amazing time. Friendly locals. Very friendly Great beaches, decent food, plenty of things to see and do.
Also just a relaxed, wonderful vibe. I'd go again in a heartbeat.
So for a city vacation I'd recommend BKK, but for adventure MNL.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
BKK!!!!
You can probably find a nice room at The Banyan Tree for that and it's an easy walk/tuk tuk to the gay bars in Silom.

Also I am normally always a solo traveler...but, in BKK you may have to put up with a few of those looks. Those looks being the "look at this perv here for a sexcation".
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:52 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by flynew
I am not a Thailand lover, but the main reason for BKK is that it is by far safer than MNL, especially if you use common sense. Remember: Nothing is free in Thailand and your status as a foreigner makes that you are expected to be generous.

From BKK it is also an easy ride to Hua Hin or Pattaya should you against your intentions become boring in the metro area.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:28 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Since the OP is considering April, a word must be put in for Songkran-- the water-splashing festival of Thai New Year, April 13-15. One of the best street parties in the world-- like Mardi Gras, Carnival, Oktoberfest, etc. Lots of fun to be had and an incomparable experience. Plus, the weekend before has major gay dance parties that attract gays from all over Asia (tons of Japanese, Chinese, Taiwanese, Singaporeans, twinks and bears alike).

Songkran aside, I'd definitely still recommend Bangkok. Food, people, culture, everything.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Manila, risky and dangerous.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:06 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
I'd say BKK, however I'm not really sure what it's like at the moment. I haven't been there since the latest coup and the subsequent curfew, so I'm not really sure if it's like it normally is.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Was in BKK 2 weeks last month. Everything that tourists care about are back to normal. Hotel occupancy is still low so some good deals can be found.

In Silom Soi 2 and 4 everything seem to be back to normal - although fewer visitors. But by no means deserted. Actually, now you are able to move around downstairs at DJ Station on a Friday or Saturday night ^
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: Variety of rectangular cards with my name on it
I would only do MNL if your planning on hopping out of there to go to a beach island. The city itself isn't at all a great tourist city unless you have some sort of family/business there. Traffic is nonstop. Practically no public transit that is friendly to tourists. I wouldn't say that the city is unsafe, but you should be smart on where you're going or what you're doing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.