Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Starwood - LGBT Guests Exist Too!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood - LGBT Guests Exist Too!

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
It's really sad that society has come to the point where political correctness has gone into such overdrive that greetings are now supposed to be neutral because of some fear of offence when no offence was even intended.

Starwood associates greeting customers warmly, with a smile and a "hello Mr and Mrs such and such" are NOT looking to make a political statement. They're just saying "hello".

Starwood associates writing out welcome cards to warmly greet "Mr and Mrs such and such" are NOT trying to denigrate gay marriage or uphold traditional marriages. They just thought they were being nice by arranging a personal greeting and maybe even an amenity.

Perhaps the solution to all this silliness is what Oberlin College in Ohio has now proposed which is that trigger warnings be added to any of their student's reading material.

So maybe, in the hospitality industry's case, every reservation should come with the following trigger warning or disclaimer (it has been adapted from Oberlin's own warnings to make it more relevant to hotel guests):

"We are aware of racism, classism, sexism, heterosexism, cissexism, ableism and other issues of privilege and oppression. We realize that all forms of violence and discrimination, whether intended or not, are traumatic, and that our guests have lives before and outside your property, experiences we may not fully expect or understand. We therefore apologize sincerely and profusely in advance for any and all offence that can and/or will be caused by any or all of our actions or those of our associates or their associates, whether they are intentional or unintentional, real or perceived. We wish you a pleasant stay at our property but please do not take any offence if for some reason you would have preferred an unpleasant stay."
Old May 25, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IluvSQ

The hotel is almost certainly not aware of your sexual preferences,
I read through the entire thread with great interest (esp. several posters explaining how they were educating hotels slowly and gently) yet did not see any part that relates to any guest´s sexual preferences here. That having been said. I am guessing that you are correct, however. Few if any hotels would be aware of one´s sexual preferences
Old May 25, 2014, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Canada101
It's really sad that society has come to the point where political correctness has gone into such overdrive that greetings are now supposed to be neutral because of some fear of offence when no offence was even intended.

Starwood associates greeting customers warmly, with a smile and a "hello Mr and Mrs such and such" are NOT looking to make a political statement. They're just saying "hello".
There is a general trend towards neutrality in many areas. Look at holiday exhibits and greetings. I am Jewish yet not offended if someone says Happy Christmas. It´s not like he is wishing me an Unhappy Chanukah along with it or anything.

We wish you a pleasant stay at our property but please do not take any offence if for some reason you would have preferred an unpleasant stay."[/I]
Picking myself up from the floor after reading that one. ^^^ Perhaps also nominating it for the post of the month.
Old May 25, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist

Starwood associates writing out welcome cards to warmly greet "Mr and Mrs such and such" are NOT trying to denigrate gay marriage or uphold traditional marriages. They just thought they were being nice by arranging a personal greeting and maybe even an amenity.

Perhaps the solution to all this silliness is what Oberlin College in Ohio has now proposed which is that trigger warnings be added to any of their student's reading material. Yes, the academic elites' fear of offending anyone. I would hate to be attending college these days
Political correctness gone amuck.

Starwood does not have information on SPG member marital status, whether single, straight married or gay married or otherwise. If you want a hotel to know for sure you're a gay couple, then tell them when you check in. If not, don't assume they can figure out on their own.
Old May 25, 2014, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by CPRich
Is there an LGBT "master list" somewhere that SPG is supposed to consult?
Ouch. Sorry, but I think that that comment is uncalled for.

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
The hotel is almost certainly not aware of your sexual preferences, ....
I believe that it's "orientation," since people do not choose to be gay/lesbian. They're born that way.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That is certainly heartening to hear. Thought it's not totally surprising for the Middle East, since these hotels tend to be staffed with non-Muslims from Europe, Philippines and other parts of Asia. The Gulfies in particular have gotten leery about hiring Muslims from other countries.

Don't let this lull you into a false sense of security when outside hotels: the Islamic take on homosexuality varies from tolerant indifference to extremely harsh persecution. Outsiders will have a very hard time guessing which to expect.

Yeah it is not like I am making a declaration, but the more closeted/strict the country the less likely they are to have a clue.
Old May 25, 2014, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Political correctness gone amuck.

Starwood does not have information on SPG member marital status, whether single, straight married or gay married or otherwise. If you want a hotel to know for sure you're a gay couple, then tell them when you check in. If not, don't assume they can figure out on their own.
So, arguing against myself here. If they don't have this info, why the hetero-normative assumptions?
Old May 25, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I guess the SPG.com mobile site is extremely offensive to some, eh? In their attempt at being gender ambiguous (or perhaps gender inclusive), are they are designating us as transgender clients?

Old May 25, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
I'm offended. How dare they not be able to distinguish my gender!!
Old May 25, 2014, 3:38 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by porciuscato
That is certainly heartening to hear. Thought it's not totally surprising for the Middle East, since these hotels tend to be staffed with non-Muslims from Europe, Philippines and other parts of Asia. The Gulfies in particular have gotten leery about hiring Muslims from other countries.

Don't let this lull you into a false sense of security when outside hotels: the Islamic take on homosexuality varies from tolerant indifference to extremely harsh persecution. Outsiders will have a very hard time guessing which to expect.
Ironically this is the racist and ignorant comment.

Homophobia is only avoided because of non Muslim employees? All Muslims are homophobic?

As *wood recognises, the actions of a state are not the same as the views of the citizens.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Ironically this is the racist and ignorant comment.

Homophobia is only avoided because of non Muslim employees? All Muslims are homophobic?

As *wood recognises, the actions of a state are not the same as the views of the citizens.
I don't think it's as much racist as a sweeping broad generalization.

However, this discussion is veering heavily into OMNI territory so I suggest it move back on track before it gets moved.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Ouch. Sorry, but I think that that comment is uncalled for.
Why? Saying that SPG should know without being told - how else are they to know? I'm genuinely curious.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
Why? Saying that SPG should know without being told - how else are they to know? I'm genuinely curious.
Have you never heard of "Gaydar"?
Old May 25, 2014, 3:50 pm

Have you never heard of "Gaydar"?
Works if the front desk clerk has gaydar also. Othewise, it may not work.
Old May 25, 2014, 3:51 pm

I sense that the problem the other poster had about a "master list" relates more to the idea of drawing up such lists and how they were used to round up Jews, gays, others under the NSDAP regime and elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.