Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Single gay male traveling through Iran

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I went, I saw, I conquered! Iran is a fabulous country. I feel that most things we are told about Iran in the American media are lies. The people are nice, warm, friendly, and just overall fantastic! I cannot say enough good things about Iran. It truly was a memorable experience.

I will write a detailed blog post later, but I just wanted to say definitely go if you get the chance.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
It's great to hear you had an amazing experience, as my parents are Iranian and I have always wondered what it would be like to visit.

I think a lot of places that we expect would be hostile to GLBT people aren't as bad as people think. In a lot of places, such as Iran, the average person has no exposure whatsoever to anything remotely GLBT so they have little understanding of what it is to be gay aside from what they hear from the religious leaders. Of course if the only thing they hear is that all gays are child molesters and sexual deviants they aren't going to have a balanced view like we do in the Western world.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 3:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
How would an Iranian person know that a gay tourist is gay? Unless the visitor is planning to engage in gay sex there, I don't see how the experiences of a gay visitor would be any different from that of a non-gay visitor.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by passioninlife77
I went, I saw, I conquered! Iran is a fabulous country. I feel that most things we are told about Iran in the American media are lies. The people are nice, warm, friendly, and just overall fantastic! I cannot say enough good things about Iran. It truly was a memorable experience.

I will write a detailed blog post later, but I just wanted to say definitely go if you get the chance.
This is great, but I agree with the poster above.
In the eyes of the local people, you were just another tourist, not a gay tourist.

I think the cautioness about going to Iran has more to do with being American than with being gay. Most local folks won't care and, quite the oppsite, may show an interest in American culture

But there is always the police, the military and haters which would be unfortunate to come across with. As stated in the "Iran Travel warning" of travel.state.gov:
Iranian authorities also have unjustly detained or imprisoned U.S. citizens on various charges, including espionage and posing a threat to national security.

Going back to being a gay tourist in Iran, unless you go on a rainbow pompom march or pull of a Conchita Wurst, nobody will know one is gay.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 30, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Jul 4, 2014, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
I never claimed that my experience will be different from any other tourist in Iran, just because I am gay. If you read my original post, I asked if anybody has any idea of the gay scene in Iran...I did not say I will have a different experience. I don't understand why you two are saying that my experience will be different from any other tourist...I never denied that.

What I was looking for in my trip is any hint of the gay scene in Iran...and I found some. I met some wonderful LGBT folks in Tehran, Shiraz, and Isfahan. It was interesting to know their perceptions, experiences, and POVs. It made me appreciate freedom even more and reminded me that we should never take freedom for granted.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by passioninlife77
I never claimed that my experience will be different from any other tourist in Iran, just because I am gay. If you read my original post, I asked if anybody has any idea of the gay scene in Iran...I did not say I will have a different experience. I don't understand why you two are saying that my experience will be different from any other tourist...I never denied that.

What I was looking for in my trip is any hint of the gay scene in Iran...and I found some. I met some wonderful LGBT folks in Tehran, Shiraz, and Isfahan. It was interesting to know their perceptions, experiences, and POVs. It made me appreciate freedom even more and reminded me that we should never take freedom for granted.
Did you disclose that you are gay to non gay folks you met?
If so, based on your personal experience in Iran, could you tell what the attitudes and opinions of non-gay folks towards gays are?
Old Jul 9, 2014, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Did you disclose that you are gay to non gay folks you met?
If so, based on your personal experience in Iran, could you tell what the attitudes and opinions of non-gay folks towards gays are?
Yes, I disclose to some folks that I am gay. Two of my tour guides and some folks I met while shopping. However, the total number of people I disclosed is not over 10. My tour guides did not mind. One was even curious about understanding family dynamics in a gay relationship. The other one was interested to know my coming out story. Both guides were pretty open.

Some of the local folks I met were confused when I said "I am in a relationship with a man", some totally ignored it, and some didn't care.
Old Jul 15, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by jphripjah
How would an Iranian person know that a gay tourist is gay? Unless the visitor is planning to engage in gay sex there, I don't see how the experiences of a gay visitor would be any different from that of a non-gay visitor.
Well, when I got dragged to the backroom at Kish by the immigration folks (not knowing it was "just" for fingerprinting) I pretty rapidly started deleting certain apps on my iPhone lol...
Old Aug 2, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Just wondering if you might be able to share the name of your tour guide in Tehran? Looking to go there myself in November and just looking for tips on a guide.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Just wondering if you might be able to share the name of your tour guide in Tehran? Looking to go there myself in November and just looking for tips on a guide.
None of my tour guides were gay. Three males and two females. All but one was married with kids. However, the guides in Tehran and Isfahan were very gay-friendly. Both guides were aware of my sexuality and they were genuinely interested in learning more about the gay culture in America, even though they are not gay.

Having said that, I can give you the contact info of my guide in Tehran if you are still interested. He is a great guy, well-educated and traveled, and a great person overall. PM me for info.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA

Not interested in a gay guide, just looking for a recommendation of any guide - finding it hard to figure out who is good and who isn't. If you could PM me the details, that would be great :-)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question Global Entry

Does traveling to Iran automatically void Global Entry?
Old Jun 8, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Does traveling to Iran automatically void Global Entry?
Absolutely not.

I've visited North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen all since getting Global Entry, and no problems at all.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:50 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Absolutely not.

I've visited North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Yemen all since getting Global Entry, and no problems at all.
Have you renewed your GE? And if you have did you have to go for an interview?
Old Jun 17, 2016, 11:28 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by puddinhead
Have you renewed your GE? And if you have did you have to go for an interview?
Generally no interview for renewal - both my partner and I recently renewed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.