Barcelona and Nice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Barcelona and Nice

Partner and I are going to Barcelona and Nice the end of Oct are there any places we should try and go to in either city, any thing we should watch out for?

TIA
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:49 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Barcelona has a very vivid gay scene, satisfying nearly all different kind of tastes of gays, while Nice seems very quiet with only few bars. Marseille is an alternative and has a variety of bars and clubs
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The only thing to worry about in Barça are the many scams directed at tourists; be aware - the usual, just perhaps denser, like kids mobbing you (distracting you with a "petition" whilst plucking you clean), invitations to an evening encounter on the beach (where you may find someone running off with your wallet, clothes, etc.), the old "let me give you a rose" trick, pickpocketing (distraction usually precedes the snatch) and snatch-and-grab of hanging cameras, bags not carefully watched.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by JDiver
The only thing to worry about in Barça are the many scams directed at tourists; be aware - the usual, just perhaps denser, like kids mobbing you (distracting you with a "petition" whilst plucking you clean), invitations to an evening encounter on the beach (where you may find someone running off with your wallet, clothes, etc.), the old "let me give you a rose" trick, pickpocketing (distraction usually precedes the snatch) and snatch-and-grab of hanging cameras, bags not carefully watched.
Thanks, very aware of these scams...
Old Feb 27, 2014, 3:05 am

Programs: M&M, ROP, KrisFlyer
Originally Posted by JDiver
don't agree...don't be afraid and don't scare others....
I spent a couple of days in BCN again last October....and never (ever before) had to experience such bull....,
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
I spent a couple of days in BCN again last October....and never (ever before) had to experience such bull....,
Gotta be honest, I was in Barcelona in 2010 and noticed no such scams either. Hell, I saw more of that in Rome than Barcelona.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Partner and I are going to Barcelona and Nice the end of Oct are there any places we should try and go to in either city, any thing we should watch out for?

TIA
Spend a night or two in Sitges (don't just go for the day).
It is probably not as vibrant as in the summer, but I have heard it is still nice.

If it was the summer, I would say stay all the time in Sitges and make a day trip to Barcelona (And that advice would still apply if you don't like the beach or the sun).
Old Feb 27, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carlosdca
Spend a night or two in Sitges (don't just go for the day).
It is probably not as vibrant as in the summer, but I have heard it is still nice.

If it was the summer, I would say stay all the time in Sitges and make a day trip to Barcelona (And that advice would still apply if you don't like the beach or the sun).
Interesting, I'll have to look this up.. Thanks..
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Originally Posted by Creole Spirit
I was there in June and had people near the art gallery trying to get you to sign a petition. I kept walking.

When I first went in '92 on the Ramblas, waiters scared away a guy that was trying to steal my friends hand bag as she'd left it on the ground near her chair.

This can happen anyway, not just here. As a tourist unfamiliar with the surroundings, you make an easy mark. Just be aware, that's all.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:32 am

I've not been to Nice so can't offer advice on that. However, I've been to Barcelona a few times and it's a great city to spend a few days in. In terms of scams/crime, it really is no different to any other large city, so nothing other than usual precautions needed.

If you're interested in the gay scene then you're in luck - Barcelona has a really good one! Might be worth selecting your hotel to be walking distance from the gay quarter, which as it happens isn't all that far from the centre of things, so lots of choice. However, one thing you should be aware of is that it's a late scene (true in much of Spain). Places get going after midnight, and don't bother going to a nightclub before 2am as they'll be deserted.

Sitges is a great town and worth a trip - it's about 20 minutes on the train from Barcelona so very do-able. However, it will be low season when you're there, which matters because some places don't open. It definitely feels 'low season' when you're there outside the peak time, but it's a very nice town nevertheless. If you were going at another time of year (i.e. June-Sept) then I'd echo the comment on staying in Sitges, however, go for the day and enjoy the town, then hop on the train back to Barcelona in the evening.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Sitges is a great town and worth a trip - it's about 20 minutes on the train from Barcelona so very do-able. However, it will be low season when you're there, which matters because some places don't open. It definitely feels 'low season' when you're there outside the peak time, but it's a very nice town nevertheless. If you were going at another time of year (i.e. June-Sept) then I'd echo the comment on staying in Sitges, however, go for the day and enjoy the town, then hop on the train back to Barcelona in the evening.
Most things close in Sitges around the end of October, but no matter, it'll still be quieter than the summer. And more and more, people are choosing to live in Sitges all year and commute into the city for work. That means at least some businesses have to stay open.

I've been to BCN many, many times and one of my favorite things to do is go to Sitges for lunch. Some of the restaurants near the beach stay open all year, and if the weather is nice, even the locals from BCN will drive there for lunch. There's a certain appeal to a beach town in the off season... just as long as it's not snowing or something
Old Mar 23, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by wiredboy10003
Most things close in Sitges around the end of October, but no matter, it'll still be quieter than the summer. And more and more, people are choosing to live in Sitges all year and commute into the city for work. That means at least some businesses have to stay open.

I've been to BCN many, many times and one of my favorite things to do is go to Sitges for lunch. Some of the restaurants near the beach stay open all year, and if the weather is nice, even the locals from BCN will drive there for lunch. There's a certain appeal to a beach town in the off season... just as long as it's not snowing or something
So what is the best way to get to Sitges from BCN?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
So what is the best way to get to Sitges from BCN?
Monbus for 4 euros each way.
http://www.monbus.cat/?lang=en
From Barcelona, the most convenient stop is just a couple of blocks from "Plaza Catalunya".
Plaza Catalunya is the epicenter of tourist activity, so you will quickly become familiar with it upon arriving in BCN. Your hotel will hopefully be walking distance from Plaza Catalunya.

In the summer, the Monbus stop near Plaza Catalunya is easy to recognize since you will most likely see a bunch of other cute homos waiting for the bus too

Or by train...
"Passeig de Gracia" is the train station you want to look for if you are close to Plaza Catalunya. The train makes several stops a long the way, but it's quick.

Personally, I prefer the MONBUS.

I would avoid renting a car if the destination is SITGES.

http://www.sitges-tourist-guide.com/...esBarcelonaBus

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.