Wiki Posts
Search

Russia a big NO GO (imo)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Russia a big NO GO (imo)

Putin just signed this into law.

Gotta wonder what the Olympic committee will have to say.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:22 pm
Suspended

Deja vu Olympics 1936.

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jul 9, 2013 at 6:22 am Reason: Wrong date
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
The Olympic Committee needs to boycoutt the games
Old Jul 4, 2013, 10:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Last edited by anonplz; Jul 4, 2013 at 11:17 pm
Old Jul 5, 2013, 1:15 am

I have been living in Russia for 2 years now, and I confirm homophobia is very common here. Surprisingly enough, last time I went to Moscow with a friend I was asked at the reception of our hotel if we wanted a king bed or twin beds. But it is the only positive example I have in mind.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:06 am

Some things I wouldn't do. Most of these are common sense :

-Carry Gay literature materials, printed or worse distribute them

-Participate in a gay organized group

-Wear a pride t-shirt / pride colors / or gay rights related clothing/expression

-Participate in a pride demonstration (as if there are any)

-Discuss anything "gay' with anyone under the age of 18. This is the key component of the legislation

- Hold hands in the metro / public ( this actually happened : I was showing around some European friends, and forgot they were no longer in London). The young cadets and OMOH (security guards) didn't say anything..…but I wound't do that.

-If you are married, and need to interact with the police, please don't say "my husband" or "my parter". In this case, "Moi Drug" (my friend) a term used and abused by gays for centuries is preferred.

Avoid the above activity and you'll be fine. Everything else perfectly ok and safe to do. Use your best judgement.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
On this topic; I used to protest in front of the Russian Consulate in Houston with friends. We received a large amount of support from passer-bys. Every Wednesday, we'd usually have about a dozen to a dozen and a half, sometimes more.

For those who do not know, Houston is a very diverse city. Our current mayor, Annise Parker, is openly L. We also have an openly G city council-member, Mike Laster.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:21 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Russia will NOT be getting any of my pink dollars. See my signature and please feel free to change your signature so that we can get the word out there!
http://skift.com/2013/07/03/a-warnin...sts-in-russia/
Old Jul 9, 2013, 6:27 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by meFIRST
Some things I wouldn't do. Most of these are common sense :

-Carry Gay literature materials, printed or worse distribute them

-Participate in a gay organized group

-Wear a pride t-shirt / pride colors / or gay rights related clothing/expression

-Participate in a pride demonstration (as if there are any)

-Discuss anything "gay' with anyone under the age of 18. This is the key component of the legislation

- Hold hands in the metro / public ( this actually happened : I was showing around some European friends, and forgot they were no longer in London). The young cadets and OMOH (security guards) didn't say anything..…but I wound't do that.

-If you are married, and need to interact with the police, please don't say "my husband" or "my parter". In this case, "Moi Drug" (my friend) a term used and abused by gays for centuries is preferred.

Avoid the above activity and you'll be fine. Everything else perfectly ok and safe to do. Use your best judgement.
This sort of nonsense might be"common sense"to some but to me it is outrageous to have to hide a big part of who I am. Sorry but I don't play by that antiquated rule book. Better to just boycott them till THEY change-because I am not changing. http://skift.com/2013/07/03/a-warnin...sts-in-russia/

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Jul 9, 2013 at 6:10 pm
Old Jul 9, 2013, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
Better to just boycott them till THEY change
Why do you want them to change? They will be delighted that nobody comes to question their belief. They are so convinced that Russia is a great country protected from the perverted world...
Sometimes I wonder how to help them to change, how to support Russian LGBT community. Because I fear that looking away will not make them more friendly and diversity-conscious.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
IMO, we have more things to worry about here at home.

While the recent Supreme Court's decision is a significant milestone and advancement for all of us, we can't be blind that at the State level, there is still a lot of work to be done. It is not as simple as saying I am leaving Virginia and move to Massachusetts!!! when there are family/friendship/financial/job ties to where one lives.

It's sad what happened in Russia. But FWIW, the article quoted above is very alarmist and exaggerated.

There are so many beautiful places in the world that I can visit, that I will certainly make Russia not a priority. But I won't bother thinking about it when there is lot of dust that I have to clean up in my own house. And that's just me.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
just cancelled a scheduled trip to st. Petersburg...don't intend to visit any part of Russia in the future.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
On the bright side, maybe you can refund plane tickets
Old Jul 11, 2013, 7:17 pm

Finnair

Originally Posted by keitherson
On the bright side, maybe you can refund plane tickets
I am trying to either get a refund or be allowed to fly to another location. I bought a heavily discounted ticket in Business for 1499 r/t and Finnair has said no change allowed regarding fare rules. They have been very by the book on this, I can't even just get off in Helsinki as they said they will cancel my return.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 9:38 pm

I can think of a few FA friends who will have to change their Moscow flying. No matter how hard they try. They just can't "hide" it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.