Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > GLBT Travelers
Reload this Page >

Updated London Advice - Neighborhoods, Bars, Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

My friend and I are are younger 40 somethings spending a weekend in London in April.

What are great neighborhoods to stay in that have a gay scene but also have access to other cultural activities?

Hotel recs? (not necessarily gay but nice and in cool neighborhoods)

What are the hot bars and dance clubs?

Thanks so much!
Old May 29, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
This recent thread should be a good place to start:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glbt-...on-london.html

The core of the classic gay scene is in Soho around Old Compton Street, and that's probably the most convenient area to stay in. The area has been gentrified over the years, but I think it's still the place to start.

For a hotel, put a rough circle on a map of London with Leicester Square tube stop in the center and going through the stations of Embankment, Covent Garden, Tottenham Court Road, and Piccadilly Circus. If you pick a hotel in that area, you're probably in a convenient location. That area puts you walking distance to Old Compton Street, and also close to endless restaurants, most of the theaters, several of the top museums, etc., plus easy access to public transit to get further out. The downside is that that's where everyone wants to stay, so hotel prices are pretty pricey. Still, for a short visit I think the convenience is worthwhile.

For dance clubs, my go-to place is G-A-Y, held on most Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at Heaven. It's a little hard to find, but essentially it's under Charring Cross rail station and accessed by a narrow street to the left of the station. It's reasonable walking distance from Soho. There are good clubs in other areas, such as around Vauxhall, but typically not in areas where you want to stay.

BTW, in addition to G-A-Y Club at Heaven, there's also a permanent G-A-Y bar on Old Compton Street, run by the same person. In fact, you can often get fliers or wristbands for discounted admission to the Club if you stop by the Bar first.

Of course, a weekend will only let you sample a fraction of what London has to offer - I think it's a pretty amazing city to visit.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
There are two areas where gay businesses are focused. Soho down to the Embankment has been mentioned? However, Vauxhall is the other area for hard dance clubs, a leather club and cabaret at the Vauxhall Tavern.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I am going to London in July and bought the book "Time out London" Has a lot of great info in it and it is pretty cheap from Amazon.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Come see Gay Soho before it disappears!!

I hadn't been down for a while and was shocked to see the number of chain coffee shops that had taken over the area. Rising rents have forced out the independents and those that regenerated the area and now the corporates are taking over after their hard work and will soon turn it into an identikit street. I hope the sex shops don't move!!!

Some of the bars are, and a very quick potted critique! -

Comptons - muscle clones.
Admiral Duncan - mixed, not necessary a younger crowd, but all feel welcome.
Village Soho - trendy, loud.
Ruperts - not been for a while as I thought it was too pricey.
The Edge Soho, up Soho Square. Bit of Dancing

For food - Balans was a favourite for late late late night dining. They have branches in South Beach Miami and Straftord Westfield Shopping Centre next to the Olympic Park.

My favourite Italian diner/cake shop has gone.

Also there are a lot of pop up dance clubs/events that happen, so it's best checking out what's on in local rags like

http://boyz.co.uk/
and http://www.qxmagazine.com/
Old Jun 4, 2012, 4:09 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dddc
My favourite Italian diner/cake shop has gone.
Oh no - we've usually gone there a few times each time we're in London.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks

Thanks so much for the great advice!

I'll update this thread after my trip!

Kevin
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:02 am

Programs: National ES
If your going to be in London on Saturday night, and you enjoy the company of men and dancing then you must go to http://www.xxl-london.com/. One of my worldwide favorites!
Old Jun 8, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by jakeflynwa
If your going to be in London on Saturday night, and you enjoy the company of men and dancing then you must go to http://www.xxl-london.com/. One of my worldwide favorites!
Originally Posted by twa777
For dance clubs, my go-to place is G-A-Y, held on most Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at Heaven. It's a little hard to find, but essentially it's under Charring Cross rail station and accessed by a narrow street to the left of the station. It's reasonable walking distance from Soho. There are good clubs in other areas, such as around Vauxhall, but typically not in areas where you want to stay.
This topic is almost one year old and the gay scene can change quickly.
What are the most popular gay clubs, with a mixed crowd and the possibility to book a table?
Thanks in advance
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:17 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I've not done the club scene in a while and stick to my regular pub if meeting people for a drink in Soho, but the gaypers will give you a list of what's still running:

http://boyz.co.uk/ and http://www.qxmagazine.com/

Not sure you can book a table somewhere unless it's a big crowd though. Could be wrong as like I said I haven't been out for while. I know at G-A-Y @ Heaven the last time I went for a friends birthday they had our names on a guest list into a "VIP" area. Less crowded, more seats but nothing else iirc.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:13 am

This is the list of clubs/bars I was provided by Amex. Which one is the best?
Unfortunately Heaven does not accept reservation on Staurdays.

Barcode Vauxhall sprang up as the younger brother of Barcode Soho (which has since closed). The venue boasts two bars, a fab sound system and, of course, a dancefloor. The perfect pre-club venue, Barcode Vauxhall attracts a diverse crowd from beefed-up boys to bears and anyone is welcome along for a drink!

Feel the tensions of the week drift away at Blush, Stoke Newington's little secret. This mixed café bar has so much to offer – a huge beer garden, mouth-watering Sunday roasts and great quiz nights. Blush is Stoke Newington's only lesbian bar, but gay and straight customers are just as welcome in its friendly pink surroundings.

Check out this edgy East End venue for a fun and friendly night out. Bring your gay and artsy friends along, and make sure you wear your trendiest outfits to fit in with the cool crowd! Dalston Superstore has two rooms, an extensive cocktail list, and the art on the walls is for sale.

Underneath railway arches in Vauxhall, this burning-hot club hosts some of the biggest and best gay nights in London. With a sound system that will rattle your bones, a laser light show and some of the capital's top groove pushers at the decks, Fire will leave you smoking!

Freedom claims to be the first metro sexual club in London. That means visitors of all persuasions are welcome, as long as you're respectful. If you're after a quiet night, why not enjoy a glass of bubbly in the lounge bar? Or if you're ready to party, head down to the club below which is decked out with pink walls and 200 mirrorballs.

Gay night Popstarz brings you three huge rooms of music at The Den (formerly The End and AKA) in Bloomsbury every Friday. Indie kids can rock out in the Indie Ballroom; pop divas can dance under the colour-changing Pop Arches; and hipsters can groove to R'n'B and Motown in the Lounge.

Lovely ladies can enjoy a mid-weeker at Ku Bar courtesy of Ruby Tuesdays. It's all about relaxing and having fun with free entry and drinks from as little as £1.50. The music policy is pretty wide, from Girls Aloud to The Killers. And there's a chocolate fountain!

In the heart of Soho lies the upmarket Shadow Lounge. It's the perfect place to go for a few cocktails, and to take advantage of the late night bar. The Shadow Lounge is a members-only bar, but if you can't afford the £350 membership fee, you can still visit by registering on the guest list in advance (or take your chances on the door!)

I just realize this information comes from visitlondon.com website!

Last edited by Pierre&Cédric; Jul 3, 2013 at 8:23 am
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Ibotta, Southwest A-List
Where did you guys end up going?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.