Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Visas-help needed

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA, BA, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum, IHG, Hertz 5*
China Visas-help needed

We are completing the Chinese Visa forms for our upcoming trip this spring, and the form asks several questions we all wish were easy to answer, but in this case given that it's China we're talking about, we need some expert advice.

We are US citizens, married in Canada, and traveling with our two adopted sons - all with the same last name. The birth certificates list us both as parents. So, how SHOULD we answer the following questions?:

1. Marital status - we think we should put unmarried/never married/single but anybody suggest differently?
2. The form asks to list "major family members" for which we listed each other and our two kids. For each, it asks about the relationship to the applicant. For my husband, do I put 'husband', 'brother', 'friend' or 'other'??

We have thought that perhaps we shouldn't send them all in together or even list the two kids under one of us and none of the rest under the other one.

Would really like some expert advice on just what to put on these forms so we come across as truthful, yet not raising red flags that would result in a denial of our visas. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
1. You were married in Canada and are therefore married. Why would you list your marital status otherwise? I am going to assume you are a same-sex couple. Even though this is China we're talking about, and I don't have experience directly saying so, I don't think putting anything other than "married" is a good idea as anything else would be lying. If you are _really_ worried, perhaps you should be consulting the embassy since this is a special situation.
2. Answer should follow from #1...
Old Dec 19, 2011, 2:01 am

Tough question...

I'm straight and single.. yet I found the China visa application form more intrusive than most.. certainly much more info required..

(Not complaining, entry to their country is a priviledge etc etc I know.. just stating how I felt)

With your particular situation I'd suggest basing your answers on whether or not same sex marriage is legal or recognised in China...

If it is NOT, then (IMO) you can legitimately omit any reference to your marriage, as they wouldn't recognise it anyway.. (does that make sense?)

I would lean toward the "kids with one" approach... and a separate application by the other partner...

I must admit my view on this is based on a possibly erroneous idea of Chinas views on same sex relationships!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & Board Room, Marriott Silver, Global Entry
China is not likely to recognize a same sex marriage, even though Canada does (even if Oregon doesn't recognize it) and since (assuming) Oregon is where you live go with "single". I guess the kid thing I'd default to the biological parent, or if adopted to one of you.

Not in a relationship nor do I have children, but I'm curious to see how things work out for you. Keep us posted.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 3:17 pm

Yes, please keep us posted. My partner and I would like to take our kids to China in the (hopefully) not too terribly distant future, and I'll be interested to hear the outcome for you guys.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Global Services, UA Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
The scenario is a little like filing out your U.S. Federal Tax return - you can put "married" if you want, but it won't be recognized and will just cause confusion. On the flip side, if you put "single", you wouldn't be lying since, in the eyes of the Federal law, you are not actually married.

This is the same case in China - your marriage is not officially recognized by the Chinese government. While China (and the Chinese) are getting better at these types of things, I would simply suggest that you make things easy on yourself and report as 'single'. I also like the idea of the "one child with each" approach. The less questions that are raised, the better.

After your visa is issued, you'll be fine once you get to passport control. I fly to China every month and can honestly say that I don't think I've seen them pull an American aside for questioning in the last year. Part of the reason is because the China visa app is so comprehensive (intrusive?) that they are merely just making sure that your docs are good and that you match the picture on your passport and visa.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
It may be worthwhile to post this over on the China forum.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
Does anyone have any updated information on this topic? I'm a US citizen married in a US state that recognizes same sex marriage. I know that China will not recognize this but the visa application form wants to know if I'm married. I don't want to lie but I don't think the visa application reviewer wants to hear the truth. There is now a box for "other" but I'm concerned that this will only draw more attention. Any tips?
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:15 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with this issue. Not entirely sure what to indicate on the visa forms since my husband and I are going to China together.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:39 am

Would be keen on any updates from the above people if they have traveled, to know how to fill this out ourselves. Thanks
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver
We're a same-sex couple married in the UK and when I filled up the visa form, I indicated "married" with the name of my husband. Submitted the form in the Chinese visa centre in London and visa was issued in less than a week. Don't think it even mattered to them.
Old May 8, 2018, 5:12 pm

Same Sex Visa

Originally Posted by Dan1113
Would be keen on any updates from the above people if they have traveled, to know how to fill this out ourselves. Thanks
This is now 2018, has any same sex married couple have any more feedback on this issue?
We are a same sex couple, married in the US. However, IF we record single, then each application is based on its own merit. This will present a problem as one of us makes less money than the other. If we look at reasons for denial, here they are....
Not the *** one. Will this be a reason to refuse the one who does not make that much money or a career? We already have a pre-planned tour with Air/hotel and tours/meals.

In most cases, is rejected due to one of the following reasons -
  • In case the applicant has a criminal record in the past, or currently, has an impending case in the court of law.
  • The applicant is unable to state the exact reason to visit China, or hasn’t stated the same in his application.
  • The applicant doesn’t have a good character.
  • The applicant belongs to an unskilled profession and might seek employment in China: *******
  • The applicant has, on a previous occasion, violated the visa rules, either for China or any other foreign nation.
  • The applicant belongs to a field like media, religious or military amongst others, which are considered as sensitive by the local government.
  • There any major typographical errors in the application form.
  • The submitted photograph is not as per the specification.
  • Misrepresentation of the candidate’s identity in the form.
  • The absence of any requisite documents.
In addition to the above-mentioned reasons, applicants who are carriers of contagious diseases, or are financially incapable of bearing their own expenses for the duration of their stay can be also be refused China Visa.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
We just applied, and received, our Chinese visas. We filled out the form as married and listed each other as family members (indicated as spouse) and there did not seem. to be any issues.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:11 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
My husband and I applied and received tourist visas last year through the consulate in Toronto. There were no issues with putting ourselves down as married and listing each other as spouse.
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.