Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recent BCN updates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Just got back and had a blast. I did have my phone stolen (note to self - do not take the phone to the clubs next time - and good thing that I had insurance) but aside from that I had an amazing time. I do find the Catalanes (Catalonians in English?) to be quite cold at the bars and very clickish, until you break the ice and start chatting. Then you'll be partying with them and their friends all night long. I also met some guys on growler that were visiting from the US too and staying at my hotel and had a great time with them!
I think next time I'll go when it's a little warmer. With the economic downturn, I think you can definitely see a difference in the amount of people that go out.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: M&M, AAdvantage, FlyingBlue
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Guys, guys, gals, Barcelona is a beautiful city, nothing wrong with the city itself. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Now that doesnt mean the gay scene is as good, some will like it and some will not so, lets move on. Madrid is better. lol
In general I prefer MAD too.

BCN is nicer and more relaxed for touring, and overall the average person is more open-minded... but it can get very sketchy and mainstream for gay life.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
I think I will not visit Spain again. I rather go to Montreal or Amsterdam; much more fun.

FYI: I'm Dutch. Maybe Spanish hate Dutch guys...
There are a lot of connections Barcelona-Netherlands... politically (Netherlands is one of the countries that Catalans see as a "model" for an independent Catalonia), cultural (both are very design conscious regions that made of design and architecture a global brand), even personal (some of the most important figures in the Barca soccer team - a true institution there - are Dutch) and there are many Dutch people living and holidaying in BCN (and the other way around). Certainly being Dutch or saying that you are from the Netherlands in BCN would normally be seen as quite "cool" rather than in a negative mood as you suggest.

In fact, Amsterdam is the busiest international route out of Barcelona. Comparatively, AMS is only the 5th busiest international destination out of Madrid... and that's not just by coincidence.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eurekaprice
In general I prefer MAD too.
I probably go to Madrid in April 2014
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I do prefer MAD. And I also think it's a very romantic city.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:05 pm
jg3
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Originally Posted by Juanefny
I do prefer MAD. And I also think it's a very romantic city.
Totally agree. There is something very awesome about strolling through MAD. Dang, now I want to schedule a trip in Feb. Anyone want to go with?
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by jg3
Totally agree. There is something very awesome about strolling through MAD. Dang, now I want to schedule a trip in Feb. Anyone want to go with?
Maybe you should steal a leaf from Russian Guy's playbook and start posting pics...
Old Dec 18, 2012, 1:26 pm
jg3
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Choice PLT, UA Gold.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
Maybe you should steal a leaf from Russian Guy's playbook and start posting pics...
Is this the FT equivalent of pics or it didn't happen? Or maybe pics for science? LOL
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jg3
I'll go!

I agree MAD is romantic - and 'cool'. The scene is fantastic, and I like the late night eating/drinking/club concept. Just stay on US EST!

I have a trip booked in the summer June/July but would love to squeeze in a long weekend in March or April.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Recent BCN updates

We are doing both Madrid and Barcelona as part of a 10 day Spain trip in May 2013. I hate to get this thread too far of the original BCN topic but with all the talk of MAD being nicer maybe someone could post some specific MAD recommendations....or are the comments in the thread on MAD that are not exactly current still valid?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Anymore recent updates on BCN? Booked a last minute trip there next weekend (part of a larger Madrid and Seville trip) and a number of the hotels are already booked up. Dont really want stay at the AXEL again. Has anyone had luck in renting an apartment?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 10:15 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Has anyone had luck in renting an apartment?
Yep, did so last month and it was fine. There are several options, including the usual vrbo, airbnb, homeaway.com but I went with www.apartmentsbcn.com and it worked out fine.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Yup! Also did so last month with www.gowithoh.com. Highly recommend them
Full disclosure: I did work for these people in the past but have booked with them a few times since and always found them to be very good.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:22 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Club Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by EWRTravelers
Anymore recent updates on BCN? Booked a last minute trip there next weekend (part of a larger Madrid and Seville trip) and a number of the hotels are already booked up. Dont really want stay at the AXEL again. Has anyone had luck in renting an apartment?
Was there the beginning of August...what info are you looking for?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I hope you give Barcelona another try and your ankle gets better.
I will, over Thanksgiving.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:05 am

I'm in BCN right now, and have to admit that I'm bored to death. Nightlife sucks, while people are very unfriendly and anglophobe.
It also doesn't help that my wallet got stolen and got hurt when I fell of slippery stairs and snapped my ankle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.