Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii recommendation !!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM; Alaska MVP100K; WOH Globalist; Bonvoy LT Platinum; HH Gold
I like staying at the Hyatt Regency. As for bars: Bacchus, Fusion, Hula's and In Between. A special shout out to Wang Chung's. I go there every time I visit.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver (clawing back to Gold!), Honours Gold, IHG Platinum, MLife Gold, Caesars Diamond
Hey All

Snagged a cheap J fare on BA (LCY DUB ORD LAX HNL, HNL PHX, ORD, DUB LCY) at the start of October. Semi mileage/TP run, and booked at the Holiday Inn Resort Waikiki Beachcomber. Travelling with a friend - any must do things? There for 3 nights...

Cheers
Old Sep 3, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold, Accor Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Let us know what you find out Tom Elliott
Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Same here. Haven't been to Oauhu since I was a kid in the early 90s. We always much prefer to go back to Maui or Kona instead. But I'm going to be there for a few days before doing the Island Hopper.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Hubs and I were just in Waikiki a few weeks ago. All bars mentioned above still open, with the exception of Lo Jax Seaside and Kuhio (formerly Angles, for those who remember) is now Amensia trying to cater to more main-stream dance club crowd. We like Bacchus a lot. Laid back friendly. Hula's is iconic, of course. Go-Go boys and lots of events/promotions. A mix of tourists and regulars. In Between is friendly to visitors, but very small.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:15 pm

Ugh!

My husband and I have been around the world and at one time had over 2 million frequent flyer mile. We have seen many wonderful places, and frankly Hawaii wasn't one of them.

We thoroughly enjoyed Volcano National Park and the lava flows as a must see, and some of the views by driving around the islands had some wonderful views. But as a whole were very unimpressed.

Honolulu was like an overpriced, overcrowded American city, and the view to DiamondHead and the walk (hike?) up there very pleasant but can be beat just about anywhere else. What a homogenized, franchised, un-adventuresome over populated type of place. Gay life was like a third rate city. You really like that? Really?

If you are going to the trouble and expense of Hawaii, I can assure you that there are much more spectacular, adventurous, scenic gay places all around the world. Be just a little original. I can name at least a dozen better places all over that are most likely cheaper.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by 82saint
My husband and I have been around the world and at one time had over 2 million frequent flyer mile. We have seen many wonderful places, and frankly Hawaii wasn't one of them.

We thoroughly enjoyed Volcano National Park and the lava flows as a must see, and some of the views by driving around the islands had some wonderful views. But as a whole were very unimpressed.

Honolulu was like an overpriced, overcrowded American city, and the view to DiamondHead and the walk (hike?) up there very pleasant but can be beat just about anywhere else. What a homogenized, franchised, un-adventuresome over populated type of place. Gay life was like a third rate city. You really like that? Really?

If you are going to the trouble and expense of Hawaii, I can assure you that there are much more spectacular, adventurous, scenic gay places all around the world. Be just a little original. I can name at least a dozen better places all over that are most likely cheaper.
If the "gay life" determines whether a place is wonderful, spectacular, adventurous and/or scenic, then yes, you're completely correct. Or, you can be "a little original."

We've had a condo on Kauai for about 10 years. We bring friends along often. We manage.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
I was in Honolulu in August last year (for 2 nights) and January this year (1 night) and had an awesome time! Bacchus and Hula's were the only gay bars I went to whilst there and I enjoyed both of them. For my August trip I was there over Labour Day weekend (I didn't know it was a big weekend when I booked the flights) and there was a gay party weekend there. The bars were absolutely jam packed and had a great atmosphere. It was also a bonus that my Aussie/Scottish accent meant that I didn't have to pay for many drinks myself!
Old Sep 19, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
^
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
If the "gay life" determines whether a place is wonderful, spectacular, adventurous and/or scenic, then yes, you're completely correct. Or, you can be "a little original."

We've had a condo on Kauai for about 10 years. We bring friends along often. We manage.
We love Hawaii and have been visiting for many years. Recently had a wonderful 10 nights on Kauai, before heading to Waikiki. Heavenly. Some friends have done a one time visit to Hawaii and have no desire to go back. We have friends who are regular HI visitors, but won't set foot in Waikiki. We happen to love it and they don't get it. To each his own. "Gay life" isn't a top criteria for vacation planning for us. But, we find the Waikiki bars fun and friendly.

82saint 8.3 million visitors to Hawaii last year. So, there is obviously some appeal. Not to worry they won't miss you.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 11:55 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by davesam12
^

We love Hawaii and have been visiting for many years. Recently had a wonderful 10 nights on Kauai, before heading to Waikiki. Heavenly. Some friends have done a one time visit to Hawaii and have no desire to go back. We have friends who are regular HI visitors, but won't set foot in Waikiki. We happen to love it and they don't get it. To each his own. "Gay life" isn't a top criteria for vacation planning for us. But, we find the Waikiki bars fun and friendly.

82saint 8.3 million visitors to Hawaii last year. So, there is obviously some appeal. Not to worry they won't miss you.
Seriously. Kauai is absolutely amazing for relaxing on the beach or doing a little exploring in green areas without the big city vibe. Waikiki is a great start or end to a vacation if you want to get the bars and/or partying out of your system, but Honolulu just feels like another big dirty city to me so I usually avoid it these days and just stick to Kauai

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.