Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Yet another FRA layover question—Hauptbahnhof vs. Hauptwache?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2009, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

First, thanks to everyone who has posted on the FRA layover topics…I tried to read each and every one of the previous diaries (there are so many), and found them *very* helpful. I will try not to repeat any questions from those asked previously, but if I do, please forgive me…

My girlfriend and I have a 9-hour layover in FRA on our return trip from Italy in a few weeks. We fly into Frankfurt on Lufthansa at 8:30 am, depart to U.S. on United Airlines at 5:30p the same day. I believe this means we will be in T1 for both flights.

Rather than spend 9 hours in the airport, we would like to see a little bit of Germany. We considered Mainz but ultimately we are worry-warts who have trouble relaxing during layovers (get everywhere early, etc.), so we are going to spend a few hours in Frankfurt.

We love to eat and shop, and based on people’s recommendations we are considering spending most of our time in the Zeilgalerie and Freßgass areas (we heard there are delicious sausages in Freßgass). We also wish to see Paulskirche and Romer, as well as other things that people here would recommend for us. (I am a hobbyist photographer and love hearing about wonderful photo-ops, in particular.)

My questions are about the trip. I have seen many comments on how easy the S-bahn trip (S8 or S9) is to Hauptbahnhof, but little mention about Hauptwache station? From the maps, it seems to me that Hauptwache would be closer to the “downtown” area and also the food that we’d like to see. Also, I have seen comments that HBF area is seedy and run-down, so avoiding that could be beneficial as well, although we are young-ish and do not scare easily.

Will it be easier for us to go to Hauptwache, or am I mistaken? If it is desirable to go to Hauptwache directly, we would appreciate any details on how to make that trip. Also, we would like to know whether one person’s suggestion about purchasing a day card rather than individual tickets is sensible.

Finally, what time would people recommend returning from Frankfurt? Since our flight is at 5:30p, I was planning to leave downtown Frankfurt by 2:30p at the latest to give ourselves plenty of time to clear customs and security. Am I being too conservative or is this the right amount of time?

Oh, and one last question for everyone, since people are reading this far…any specific suggestions for bars/restaurants in Freßgass would be very very welcome!

Again, thanks to everyone who posted on previous questions, and thanks in advance for any help on our trip! We are looking forward to our “bonus” vacation in Frankfurt!!
Old Aug 21, 2009, 10:36 pm

Programs: SAS
You are completely right about Hauptwache . If you get off the S train there, you will be right in the middle of Frankfurt by the pedestrian street Ziel, and you avoid the lesser interesting hike from the HbH.

And a little tip here:
At the Hauptwache you´ll find the department store Kaufhof. At the top floor they have a selfservice restaurant along with an outdoor viewing terrasse . Good place to start a visit to Frankfurt - get a snack and coffee and a great view/overview of downtown .

And welcome to FlyerTalk Foodiesf

Last edited by cph_flyer; Aug 21, 2009 at 10:40 pm Reason: first post - added welcome
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:56 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The S-Bahn which goes to Hauptbahnhof also goes to Hauptwache. If I'm right it is one station after Hauptbahnhof. Ticket price is the same.

You should be back at the airport by 3:30pm. So you should be at the S-Bahn Station Hauptwache around 3pm. The S-Bahn needs about 20 minutes max to the airport. Since you are already checked in and you have no luggage to drop off you can go directly to security.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 6:53 am

Programs: SAS
Originally Posted by foodiesf
Also, we would like to know whether one person’s suggestion about purchasing a day card rather than individual tickets is sensible.
I don´t think you really need a daycard. From the Hauptwache most of the attractions can be reached within 5-10 minutes on foot.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: BahnCard Comfort, Bahn Bonus, Enrich Blue
Hauptwache is two stops further from Hauptbahnhof (there is Taunusanlage in between).

Hauptwache is IN downtown, at the meeting point of Zeil and Fressgass. If anything makes sense for your plan it is going to Hauptwache and getting off there.

For photo options: there is a viewpoint on top of a skyscraper (Main Tower/Helaba Tower) close to Hauptwache.
The best panorama of downtown Frankfurt can be caught from the opposite river bank, a short walk from Römerberg over one of the bridges.

Frankfurt's city centre is easily walkable, I do not think you will need any further public transport than from the airport to Hauptwache and back. There is no need for a day ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by caspritz78
The S-Bahn which goes to Hauptbahnhof also goes to Hauptwache. If I'm right it is one station after Hauptbahnhof. Ticket price is the same.
Two stations (Taunusanlage is in-between).

All S-Bahn trains from the airport stop at all S-Bahn stops downtown, so if you want to walk in only one direction (instead of back-tracking), you can get off at the Hauptwache, and you could catch the S-Bahn back to the airport one stop farther down, at the Konstablerwache. That is located on the eastern end of the pedestrian portion of the Zeil.

Sometimes in Germany there are "partner-tickets", that will cover a few people traveling together. I'm sure the Frankfurt transit system has them - they may make sense.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much!!

Wonderful information, thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions!!

You all have helped turn this portion of the itinerary from something that we were nervous and unsure about into something that we're looking forward to.

Thanks again!!!

---

Oh, one last question:

It turns out that our FRA layover will be on a Monday during Oktoberfest. Of course we will be in Frankfurt not Munich, so I do not know if there will be anything special going on in Frankfurt for Oktoberfest. Probably not, but does not hurt to ask. We would love hearing if there is perhaps some event or even some special beer/food that we should seek out?

Last edited by foodiesf; Aug 22, 2009 at 11:00 pm Reason: Edit for one last question...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:00 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Oktoberfest in Munich which is in Bavaria, Frankfurt is in Hessen and there is no Oktoberfest. Please don't confuse that weird free state of Bavaria ;-) with Germany. It would be like thinking Texas represents the entire United States and asking a New Yorker where to find Cowboys in Manhattan.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Depending on the timing, you may be able to find some Federweißer around the wine regions. It is certainly worth a try.

Also know that you will be seeing the cosmopolitan, 'pinky-finger-in-the-air' part of Germany in Frankfurt. Freistaat Bayern is actually Germany at its best. It's where the men are men and the sheep are nervous. If you really want to get a taste of Germany, this is where I would recommend going. Alas, you have only a 9 hour layover. Best save your real explorations until you have some time to savor them.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm a bit of a nervous "get there early" type of traveler as well, but I must say I don't understand your concern about Mainz. You get on a train on the same station at FRA, just going in the other direction, and these trains run very much on schedule. Don't get me wrong, Frankfurt is a good place to go as well, I'm just saying that worrying about the train to/from Mainz isn't a good enough reason to scratch Mainz off your list.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:48 am

No beer fest in Frankfurt. However, a very typical Frankfurt beverage is "Apfelwein" ('apple wine'), which you can find everywhere in the city, and which is pretty inexpensive (I think it's subsidized somehow). It's not everyone's favorite drink, though, as it's sour and 'fermented-tasting'. If you have time, there are many traditional Frankfurt pubs that serve it in the Sachsenhausen district, two stops on the U-Bahn/subway from the Hauptwache around the Schweizer Platz.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!

OK, thanks for the information on Oktoberfest everyone! We will try to find the Apfelwein (I think I've had some in the States) and Federweißer, although hopefully not too much, as we do need to keep level heads to find our way back for our return flight!

Caspritz78, sorry if I did not make myself clear earlier--I know better than to confuse Bavaria and the rest of Germany! I was just hoping that there could be some auxilliary festival or event in Frankfurt...and, of course, to your example, there is the famous "Naked Cowboy" in Manhattan's Times Square!

Milepig, I do understand your question about Mainz, and we did consider it but decided to go with Frankfurt for a few reasons, including ease...it just seems that Frankfurt's downtown seems a little more manageable to us...shorter train rides, greater frequencies, and since we have to choose one or the other, we thought to go with Frankfurt...I think we will definitely save Mainz and some of the more rugged parts of Germany for another trip, when we have another chance for a longer visit!

Thanks everyone, and we'll report back with any additional information we learn that may be useful to others who may come across these messages.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 5:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
tI think we will definitely save Mainz and some of the more rugged parts of Germany for another trip.
I have quite a few Mainz photos HERE from my day trip over from Frankfurt in April. I thought it was pretty easy to get around there.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Milepig, I do understand your question about Mainz, and we did consider it but decided to go with Frankfurt for a few reasons, including ease...it just seems that Frankfurt's downtown seems a little more manageable to us...shorter train rides, greater frequencies, and since we have to choose one or the other, we thought to go with Frankfurt...I think we will definitely save Mainz and some of the more rugged parts of Germany for another trip, when we have another chance for a longer visit!
I was only saying that ruling out Mainz due to train schedules wasn't the reason you should be using to make your decision. The trains to Frankfurt take 11-12 minutes, and the trains to Mainz take 20-25, not really a huge difference, and they run fairly frequently. If you prefer Frankfurt for other reasons, that reason enough, but the travel from FRA shouldn't be the deciding point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.