Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day in Munich?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, AirTran Elite, Hertz PC

I'd love to hear some ideas of things to do in Munich on Christmas Eve and Day. Our transatlantic flight lands in Munich early on Dec. 24. I know the Christmas markets shut down around 2 p.m., so that will be the first thing on our agenda. After that, I imagine we will just wander around, since most everything will be closed - unless anyone has other suggestions of things we could do that day/night.

As for Christmas Day, we're considering visiting Dachau. (We have heard it is open that day.) Can anyone suggest other activities for that day?

And finally, any input on restaurants for Christmas Eve and/or Christmas Day? I'd really like to make a reservation at a nice place with local fare. Any suggestions on restaurants that will be open?

Thanks
Old Dec 6, 2008, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You might wish to attend a Christmas night service in one of the churches. Otherwise there will be not a lot left to do. Several restaurants will be closed either on 24th or 25th, I would contact the concierge of my hotel for a reservation.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Also don't forget to buy anything you need right on the 24th before noon. After that stores will start to close and after 4pm everything will be shut down and since the 25th and 26th are holidays no store will be open.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice.

Anyone have any restaurant suggestions for Dinner on the 25th?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
Originally Posted by slowingdog
Thanks for your advice.

I would get myself a rental car, drive into the rural areas at the feet of the alps and try to find a traditional hotel/restaurant...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by slowingdog
Thanks for your advice.

The advise given by Flying Lawyer & caspritz78 is correct...mostly everything will be closed on 12/24 in the evening and on 12/25.
You may try this:

Zum Franziskaner
Brauerei-Restaurant
München, Perusastr. 5, Residenzstr. 9
Telefon: (0 89) 2 31 81 20, Fax: (0 89) 23 18 12 44

or another restaurant in that area or near the dome or in the area of Victualien Markt ... all in walking distance .... all in the city center.

This one should be open ... it's in a hotel near Hauptbahnhof:

Königshof im Hotel Königshof
Neue internationale Küche
München, Karlsplatz 25
Telefon: (0 89) 55 13 60, Fax: (0 89) 55 13 71 73

It's very good, but expensive

Don't go here:
ZUM DÜRNBRÄU, Dürnbräugasse 2

It's very old, very famous. Was there in October ... easily the worst food I ever had.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0
I would get myself a rental car, drive into the rural areas at the feet of the alps and try to find a traditional hotel/restaurant...
Are you sure they'll get a table if they just turn up?

My brother is organising a Christmas Day family meal out in rural Schleswig-Holstein this year, and he was told that he should definitely pre-book. Do you think rural Bavaria would be different from rural Schleswig-Holstein in that respect?
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by mamb0
Good idea. Also Salzburg would be nice.

Or this, when it's open:

"Ein herzliches Grüß Gott! In traumhafter Lage mit Blick auf den Starnberger See und die gesamte bayerische Alpenkette finden Sie unser Restaurant Forsthaus Ilkahöhe" It's on top of a hill .... I could see the Alpine Mountains.

Ilkahöhe, Forsthaus
Neue deutsche Küche
Tutzing, Oberzeismering
Telefon: (0 81 58) 82 42, Fax: (0 81 58) 28 66

Pittoreske Aussichten. Der "sagenhafte" Blick vom Restaurant oder von der Terrasse auf den Starnberger See und die Alpenkette "inspiriert".
http://www.ilkahoehe.de/
Old Dec 8, 2008, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Aviatrix

My brother is organising a Christmas Day family meal out in rural Schleswig-Holstein this year, and he was told that he should definitely pre-book. Do you think rural Bavaria would be different from rural Schleswig-Holstein in that respect?
It's also a problem in Bavaria!

OT: Here is my tip for rural Schleswig-Holstein - one of the best restaurants in S-H:

SEEHOTEL TÖPFERHAUS
Am See
24791 Alt Duvenstedt

ALT-DUVENSTEDT: Rendsburg 11 km- Flensburg 60km

Telefon: +49 (0) 4338 / 99 71-0
Telefax: +49 (0) 4338 / 99 71-71

Am einfachsten ist die Email. Klicken Sie einfach auf diese Adresse.
Wir sind 24 Stunden für Sie online!
E-mail: [email protected]

http://www.toepferhaus.com/intro.htm

Last edited by USAFAN; Dec 9, 2008 at 12:33 pm Reason: Added OT:
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold

It will either be fully booked or closed....
Old Dec 8, 2008, 2:30 pm

Well yes, booking it in advance is a prerequisite...
On 25th even the restaurants of large hotels are overcrowded with externals for breakfast, brunch or dinner...

For a stay in Munich I can recommend the Charles Hotel, Sophienstr.

For something in the rural regions my top recommendation is Interconti Berchtesgaden

In the Zugspitz Area it is Hotel Reindl´s Partenkirchner Hof and Hotel Zugspitze, both in Garmisch Partenkirchen.

For the Bad Tölz area check out Resort Hotel Jodquellen Hof

Last edited by mamb0; Dec 8, 2008 at 2:50 pm
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by USAFAN
Here is my tip for rural Schleswig-Holstein - one of the best restaurants in S-H:
I thought this thread was about Bavaria...

But - let me just mention that my brother is all sorted for Christmas Day... some restaurant somewhere near Lensahn which came recommended by friends. Rendsburg would probably have been a bit far. Thanks for the tip, though - may come in useful some other time, who knows.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 5:18 am

Programs: UA1K, Star Alliance Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, and others...
Christmas in Bavaria

If Munich is closed down you'll be better suited to head out of town. I'd recommend Neuberg, famous for its Christmas market, and when I'm there I always stay at the Romatik Hotel Zum Klosterbrau Kirchplatz 1 86633 Neuberg Germany.

A delightful tradtional barvarin inn staffed by the Bohm family. Great food, beer, and award winning wine. Wish I was there... ^^^^

Here's a clip:
The Böhm family been delighting guests for ten generations in the idyllic monastery village of Bergen in the Altmühltal Nature Park. Fresh regional specialities are served in the cosy traditional Bavarian inn that dates back to 1565. The hotel and its rooms provide an atmosphere of rural tranquillity and a wonderful view of the monastery garden and park with cattle and horses grazing on the meadow. New: Historical malting floor with an open fire and a vaulted ceiling dating from the late Mediaeval period.

Merry Christmas and Happy Travels!
Old Dec 13, 2008, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by prefer_2_fly
If Munich is closed down you'll be better suited to head out of town.
Well on a second note. Munich will not close down. Enough students and young urbans who party hard after exhausting dinner with their families.
So if you are into partying, Munich is the treat in southeast .de

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.