Wiki Posts
Search

MVV Equivalent of an Oyster Card?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2007, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
MVV Equivalent of an Oyster Card?

I travel to Munich a few times each year. Each time I go, I end up buying Single Tageskarten to get around on the S/U-Bahn. I'm wondering if there is any kind of reloadable card (similar to the London Oyster card) or perhaps a more cost-effective ticket to purchase for this type of travel?

A quick search of the MVV site shows 3 day cards for inner-Munich travel that appear to be an option, though they don't cover travel to/from the airport.

I also saw several mentions of "IsarCard" - can anyone explain these?

FWIW, most of my trips would be either 3 day or 7 day and happen throughout the year.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Sean
Old Feb 16, 2007, 2:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
A "Day ticket for 3-days inner district" might be an option. It just costs 11.80 EUR which is quite okay.

A "Stripe Ticket" is not a real alternativ as it doesn't save that much money. It's only worth it if you have a lot of short trips.

The "Isar Card weekly" is valid from Midnight on sunday to Monday 12 noon of the first working day (normally Monday) of the following week. The price for the ticket is 36.20 EUR if you want to go to the airport as well. It's not of real value if you stay from Friday to Friday as you'd need two of this tickets in such a case, but might be an option if you stay a calendar-week.

Hope that helps
Greetings
totti
Old Feb 16, 2007, 7:05 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Yeah, the ones Totti mentioned are so far the best solutions. What I would like to see is something like the METRO CARD in NYC. You prepay 20 bucks, you get 24 and each time you use a train, the deduct whatever amount it is. Of course two dollars in NYC for each trip is insane...
Old Feb 16, 2007, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks, totti and supermasterphil!

Guess I'll go with a three-day ticket and an airport return ticket (if they have such a thing).

I would love to see them adopt something ala NYC or London - it is extremely convenient for both the frequent and infrequent traveller.

Thanks again and greetings from Arizona!

Sean
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:26 am

Probably won't happen, as the payment structure / infrastructure is completely different. It's all on the honor system, and there are no readers for magnetic strips/chips/etc. Seriously doubt they'll ever install any.

The IsarCard you can also get monthly, and pricing can vary on whether you only use the system after 9AM on weekdays, or on whether you are over 60 (I think it is 60?) or not, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.