Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Is FRA the worst major airport in the developed world?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: Demoted to gold, Cats protection
Can I just pop in a vote for BOS ?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by pinkcat
Can I just pop in a vote for BOS ?
Every airport in the USA gets a nomination.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I arrived from NYC on LH
Based on your criteria, I'm pretty sure NYC would win the race. Currently JFK is the only airport in the whole world, where I've been screamed at by an IO.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mre5765
Every airport in the USA gets a nomination.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
FRA can be unwieldy in terms of size, but agree that LHR T5 is, on the whole, far worse.
Bingo.

I was just there yesterday. It might be basically brand new, but god damn is it a .... show of a maze. I don't recommend trying to connect to a T3 international flight from T5. What an ordeal.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Or ORD T5.
This would get my vote.

FRA can be difficult though. MUC is my favorite major transfer point in Europe.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I got lost in FRA once.
I was in transfer and fancied one of these nice sandwiches from Caviar House & Prunier to bring onboard my next flight.
Very difficult finding the shop and it turned out that I somehow went landside and/or to another terminal along the way - no signage/warning or I didn't see any at least.
Had to go through security again and fight for my sandwich.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
LHR and CDG are terrible. FRA isn't bad, MUC is better. VIE and ZRH aren't too bad either. Given the choice between connecting in LHR or CDG vs. walking swimming to Germany, I'd walk/swim.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Cargojon
LHR and CDG are terrible. FRA isn't bad, MUC is better. VIE and ZRH aren't too bad either. Given the choice between connecting in LHR or CDG vs. walking swimming to Germany, I'd walk/swim.
Little harsh.... Connected many times at LHR. Had more bad than great experiences (yes, had ONE), but it was never a totally mess.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So has your questioned been answered?

Regards
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:46 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by mre5765
If you want a decent transit experience you need to try an Asian or gulf airport.
You surely must be joking about the gulf airports!? Transit rush hour at AUH or DXB is nothing short of mayhem.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by ritesa
You surely must be joking about the gulf airports!? Transit rush hour at AUH or DXB is nothing short of mayhem.
I transferred in DOH a couple of times earlier this year and given that it is a brand new airport then I thought the transfer centre and process was very much a zoo!

Having a premium ticket then there was a dedicated line for me, but this was not signposted and I only found it (right at the end) because I went looking. If you were not sure then you would be likely to join the normal lines and wait ages to get through security.

But it depends on the airport. Transferring in Singapore is also a dream, although long walks are possible. And I even had good experiences at DFW.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
FRA immigration time is extremely dependent on what other flights are arriving at the same time. When transferring from TATL to Schengen, I've had a grab bag of wait times. I've just learned to pad my transfer time just in case.

CDG gets my vote for worst for immigration lines in Western Europe, taken from my experiences 5/6 years ago: I just recall chaotic masses of passengers and indifferent staff.

LHR T2 (the only place I've transferred there) has been fine since it opened, although the walks can be sometimes hilariously long. Have never had the (dis)pleasure of visiting T5
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
T5 has won awards!

(I tell myself through gritted teeth every time I transfer through there. Possibly an award for employing shouty people who know less about the layout than you do).

If you want the real joyful T5 experience, try getting off a QF/EK at 0530 at T3 or wherever after a long-haul from SYD/MEL/AKL and transferring over on the bus then going through Immi as a non-EU national, then joining the "fast lane" (LOL) at security.

I'd take FRA any day.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by mandolino
know less about the layout than you do
Once asked some member of staff what´s the best way to Concorde-room? Never heared about.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.