Search

Bringing Fruit In To Germany from USA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by seawolf
DUS customs/baggage claim has always been empty for me especially around hours of 11a-12p.
Arriving directly from the US?
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:24 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by offerendum
Arriving directly from the US?
AB runs a late evening JFK-DUS in the summer which arrives around 11A.

Also been doing (AA) JFK-ZRH, (AB) ZRH-DUS, that gets in around noon.

Been doing this around a dozen times in the past two years. I would say I've only seen customs agents 2 out of 12 times.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
If you check the Customs rules, also available in plain English, you will see that they require that all food items must be declared, even if they are admissible.

This is no different than the US. The standard CBP paper declaration (as well as GE electronic declaration) simply asks about "food". Once one answers "yes", it is either off to Ag or at least a stop to answer the "what food" question.

Just for better understanding if we have the same topi:

By travelling to Europe its not a problem with fruits, food (except animal ones origin) and some exceptions

http://www.zoll.de/EN/Private-indivi...feed_node.html

-> in plain english

You can enter the green channel. Of course if somebody is asking you might reply immediately with YES, but have fruits like Mango etc to avoid further delay and detailed questioning.

If we talk about entering US I agree that there is a form where u are asked about food anbd you have to go to the red one (As Iam always bringing German bred with me into US of course Iam declaring it.)

By entering Europe I have to confess as a European I dont know about a form to fill in as never needed or not available. Never took attention on it.

+
+
By the way - the Mango and Pineapples here aree awfull...unless they are flight in. Buying seafreight Mangos etc is wasted money.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:49 am

Been doing this around a dozen times in the past two years. I would say I've only seen customs agents 2 out of 12 times.

They are hanging around in civil and not in uniform. The baggage will be X-rayed and also checked by the dog before it will be released to the belt. Once they have suspicious ones those ones will be informed respective those ones will arrive late. In the meantime these civil dressed gents will arrive the arrival hall and look like tourists but they keep an eye on the suspicious baggage.

Ive seen the procedure by myself after watching a documentation on the tv and kept aware about it. So its true what Ive seen on the TV and how these guys came from a special door behind the baggage belt...

If you then enter the green door you are lost.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 8:04 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by honk20
They are hanging around in civil and not in uniform. The baggage will be X-rayed and also checked by the dog before it will be released to the belt. Once they have suspicious ones those ones will be informed respective those ones will arrive late. In the meantime these civil dressed gents will arrive the arrival hall and look like tourists but they keep an eye on the suspicious baggage.

Ive seen the procedure by myself after watching a documentation on the tv and kept aware about it. So its true what Ive seen on the TV and how these guys came from a special door behind the baggage belt...

If you then enter the green door you are lost.
Doesn't do traveller any good if they are dress as plain clothes and traveller walk thru red channel and no one is there.

I did attempt to declare some hot sauce from Asia last October. Wasn't sure if hot sauce required declaration as I never carry food with me so I figure safer to go to declare then not declare. Arrived in DUS, walk to RED channel. Nobody. Yell, "hello, anybody here?" several times. Waited about 30 more seconds, nobody. Walked out.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 9:12 am

Sure, if nobody is there why to wait....
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

OK. If I arrive via LHR I never had issues. Flight is not on their Radar I guess, especially if you arive same time as Emirates from DXB. So doesn´t wonder about ZRH. Interesting with AB, perhaps I was only unfortunate so far or on the wrong flights.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.