Wiki Posts
Search

Munich Hotel Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Munich Hotel Advice

Traveling to Munich 2nd week in October with Mrs WCF and mom for 3 nights. Don't mind sharing the same hotel room to with mom but a number of searches result in 2 twin beds and that's not going to work. I do know that European hotel rooms tend to be smaller.

Though about VRBO or Airbnb but saw one post that recommended against Airbnb in Munich but they didn't explain why and honestly I don't know enough about the area to make sure I'm in a good location.

Mom is adventurous but not good with having to walk long distances to public transportation or restaurants.

Suggestions for good area to stay in and or hotels that might have 2 queen beds would be appreciated.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
To start the discussion: The Munich City Hilton sits literally on top of an S-Bahn station - the line runs to the airport terminal in one direction and to the central square and shopping area (Marienplatz) in the other direction. This might lessen your mom's walking burden.

Not sure what bedding options are offered.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
That was at the top of my list Non-NonRev, and I have diamond status with Hilton. However their doubles are twins and that would require 2 rooms. If they had a cash and points option I would be all over 2 rooms - sadly they don't right now.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I stayed in an airbnb in Munich a few years ago and had no problems with it.

Check out the Hotel am Vikutalienmarkt. I'm not sure what your distance limit is to public transit, but it's a five minute walk to the Marienplatz S/U-Bahn station. They have triple (queen + twin) or quad (two queen) rooms. I don't recall if the hotel has an elevator, but I believe it was renovated since I last stayed there.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have no experience with 3 People in one room since aver 20 years, but 2 kings etc. in Germany are very uncommon. Often you get rooms with a roll-away bed or a pull-out-sofa.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by offerendum
Have no experience with 3 People in one room since aver 20 years...
Haha, yes, and in some *hotels* this is a service which comes with an extra charge!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 1:43 pm

We stayed at Louis Hotel in Munich as a party of 3. The room had 1 double bed and a pull out sofa bed. It was plenty comfortable. The shower situation may be a bit awkward though. I'm not sure why, but several hotels we've stayed in over there have a big window looking out from the shower into the bedroom. There are blinds to cover the window, but it still may feel a bit lacking in privacy. YMMV. It's less than a 5 minute walk to the u-bahn station. Nice open air market right outside the door.

Edit: Scratch that. Maybe this was only allowed because the 3rd was a minor?

Last edited by manda99; Jun 6, 2016 at 1:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.