Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tight Connection Advice/Experience Munich

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2016, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Tight Connection Advice/Experience Munich

Flying back from South of France we go MRS to MUC 1 hour layover am I clearing immigration/customs again here then we go MUC to DUS and DUS to EWR but the layover in DUS is listed at 35 minutes...I am sure it is a scheduling thing where the flight will likely get there earlier but has anyone done these flights before? Thanks
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:08 pm

No need for immigration in MUC if you come from France. 1 hour connection time is plenty in MUC for a Schengen-Schengen connection. 35 minutes in DUS is doable without a problem for an European connection but seems very tight for a US bound flight. Boarding on that flight will already have started while you deplane your flight from MUC.

In the end you just have to walk down a few meters and clear passport control in DUS but 35 minutes sounds really tight...
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So is this MRS-MUC-DUS-EWR all on 1 ticket/PNR? Which airlines?
Passport of which country?
Class of travel?
Checked luggage or carry on luggage?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by fassy
No need for immigration in MUC if you come from France. 1 hour connection time is plenty in MUC for a Schengen-Schengen connection. 35 minutes in DUS is doable without a problem for an European connection but seems very tight for a US bound flight. Boarding on that flight will already have started while you deplane your flight from MUC.

In the end you just have to walk down a few meters and clear passport control in DUS but 35 minutes sounds really tight...
With current events, there might be some checks in MUC, especially if you're looking Non-European.

That said, 1hr in MUC should be fine, the airport is efficent, and DUS is small and fairly easy to navigate too. However, boarding for a US-bound flight indeed means earlier boarding than for a small city connection within Europe, thus much earlier boarding (and possibly earlier closing) at the gate.

On the other hand, they'll know you're coming (and see from where you're arriving) so there is a good chance they'll wait some time for you.

And if you're missing your connection, they need to cover any meals/hotel costs you're having because of it, including rebooking on the next possible connection. And in case your next connection is 4+ hrs delayed, there is a compensation of 600€ per person to be paid out to you. (Assuming all on one ticket!)
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
If your flights are running late when you get to MUC inquire about getting on a MUC-NYC flight.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm surprised that 35 minutes is DUS would be a legal connection for domestic to longhaul international. Does the OP have a single ticket and single PNR?
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
If your flights are running late when you get to MUC inquire about getting on a MUC-NYC flight.
As long as the MUC-DUS segment won't be heavily delayed, I'm fairly sure all they'll tell him is that "they'll wait for you in DUS"..

I'd make sure to get my flights and IF i miss any, then to make sure to document everything and get compensation etc.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
You guys are MUCH too optimistic that the airline will wait for a late passenger. It certainly almost never happens in my experience.

No way would I risk a 35 min connection to an international flight. Even a few minutes late on arrival to DUS and the OP would be stuck waiting for a later flight.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
You guys are MUCH too optimistic that the airline will wait for a late passenger. It certainly almost never happens in my experience.

No way would I risk a 35 min connection to an international flight. Even a few minutes late on arrival to DUS and the OP would be stuck waiting for a later flight.
And? Maybe OP wouldn't mind an overnight/later flight in DUS in return of 600€?

With 35min in DUS, of course his chance isn't like 95%+ to make the connection, but it's probably well above 80%. If his flight lands on time (and that's very possible) he'll make it - a delay of up to 10min and he still has a good chance.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Or maybe the OP has to be at work the next day.

30 minute delays are pretty common, IME. And the OP would be stuck. Whether or not he could squeeze EU compensation out of the airline is another contentious issue.

OP, I'd REALLY try to get a longer connection time.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that 35 minutes is DUS would be a legal connection for domestic to longhaul international. Does the OP have a single ticket and single PNR?
It shows up as a valid connection on the Lufthansa web site. A delay on either of the first two legs would probably kill it, but it might be possible then to change to MUC-NYC direct or MUC-FRA-NYC.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:59 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Moderator Action: I'm going to move this to the Germany forum, where you may get even more helpful input.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 1:51 am

As long as nobody knows, which airline he takes its risky to say 1 hour in MUC is fine.
If he flies MUC-DUS with AB he has to change Terminals in MUC and DUS
with security checks in MUC
also he has to go through US additional checks in DUS, so I consider 35min in DUS low
LH only states 35min MCT for their own/Star Alliance flights in DUS...
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 hour with a terminal change in MUC seems tight to me. It's what, 15 mins just for the walk?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
1 hour with a terminal change in MUC seems tight to me. It's what, 15 mins just for the walk?
Yes, with a terminal change, any connection <2hrs is rather dangerous.

However, OP here asked for connection on one ticket, all LH, from what I can tell.

And then, MUC isn't a problem to connect even with a very shortish connection time.

For someone that wants to make his flight connection absolutely, I wouldn't suggest any connection, anywhere, below 2hrs at the very least, possibly more.

But if you just want to know if it's possible/good chance to make it, then yes, all what OP asked is entirely possible and will work on a huge majority of days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.