Wiki Posts
Search

Frankfurt Airport to Cologne Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by goldencondor
If I wanted to go from MAD to MAN, I'd just get one of Iberia's 25 quid tickets in Economy. It's LAN's business class MAD-FRA service I'm interested in. It's one of the cheapest business class tickets available on a long haul plane (the flight starts in South America and Madrid is just a stopover) so I thought it might be fun. I thought I'd integrate it into a trip and maybe spend a short time in Frankfurt into the bargain. Thanks for the suggestions, though.
Ah, OK. That makes sense. It sounded like there were reasons that weren't part of the discussion yet.

Does SQ sell MUC-MAN as a fifth freedom? That might be a fun way to get back to MAN... Or you could take the train and fly Garuda F AMS-LHR for another fifth freedom route intra-Europe...
Old Jan 19, 2016, 1:49 pm

You might also consider taking the ICE train to DUS and then onwards with the DB BUS to Eindhoven where you take a Ryanair flight to Manchester.

Train/Bus combi to Eindhoven only takes 3:35 min for 39 euros (Sparpreis). Ryanair flights Eindhoven-Manchester can be found for 20 euro o/w.

For instance this train bus combination (€39)
Code:
Station/Stop 	Date	Time	Platform	Products	 
Frankfurt(Main)Hbf	We, 24.02.16	dep	11:10 	7	ICE 726	Intercity-Express Direction: Düsseldorf Hbf 
Bordbistro
Düsseldorf Hbf	We, 24.02.16	arr	12:48 	18
walk  12 min. 
walking distance 350 m
Adjust the transfer time
Düsseldorf Hbf ZOB	We, 24.02.16	dep	13:00	 	BUS42250	IC Bus Direction: Antwerpen Centraal (Koningin Astridplein, perron7) 
Eindhoven Stationsweg	We, 24.02.16	arr	14:35
And this flight (€19):
Code:
FR 3235
Eindhoven
16:25
1 uur 15 minuten
Manchester
16:40
€ 19,99
This specific example does not leave much margin for error so you might want to take the train a bit earlier.

Last edited by t0t1t2; Jan 19, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Does SQ sell MUC-MAN as a fifth freedom?
I believe so, but F is not sold.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Ah, OK. That makes sense. It sounded like there were reasons that weren't part of the discussion yet.

Does SQ sell MUC-MAN as a fifth freedom? That might be a fun way to get back to MAN... Or you could take the train and fly Garuda F AMS-LHR for another fifth freedom route intra-Europe...
I found out about these fifth freedom flights recently, and I've never flown in Business or First Class, which I'd like to try sometime if it's affordable. That's why the MAD->FRA flight caught my eye. I'm also interested in the MAD->LHR Iberia A330 flights which operate a long haul business cabin (only Ģ15 plus 12.5k avios). I looked into the MUC-MAN flight separately to this trip (in First, just out of curiosity), either by money or miles. I can't get a straight answer out of their customer service regarding First, but business is available. This is their latest email:

"We have check and would like to inform you that redemption ticket rewards on First Class Saver seat from Munich to Manchester is very limited and once the seat is filled up and waitlist is closed. Member will not be able to redeem the ticket award due no seats available.

Further to your email, we note that you are interested to book a commercial ticket for the mentioned itinerary. We have checked and would like to inform you that passenger will not be able to book on First Class seat for one way ticket as fare is not publish and not eligible for one way ticket on the routing. However, you may make your reservation travelling on Business Class for your preferred flight through our website.

In this instance, you may provide us your preferred date of travel on reservation of redeem award ticket for us to check on the seat availability."

I also looked into the Garuda service. Both First and Business are bookable. The First option sounds fantastic, and is actually a similar price to BA CE I believe. However it ends in March when they reroute flights. I'm seriously tempted to do it before then. For those who think it isn't worth it for a 45 minute flight, it's the treatment you get at either end that makes it worthwhile in addition to the flight itself.

Originally Posted by t0t1t2
You might also consider taking the ICE train to DUS and then onwards with the DB BUS to Eindhoven where you take a Ryanair flight to Manchester.

Train/Bus combi to Eindhoven only takes 3:35 min for 39 euros (Sparpreis). Ryanair flights Eindhoven-Manchester can be found for 20 euro o/w.
Thank you. Food for thought

Last edited by goldencondor; Jan 19, 2016 at 2:49 pm
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes, itīs on sale. Checked it yesterday
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum

Yep, it seems First is the one not bookable on that leg. Business is available.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

OK, itīs available return for 2102 €, one way only Business is available.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Garuda F AMS-LHR for another fifth freedom route intra-Europe...
At the moment I canīt find F-rates on this route
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:26 am
Original Poster

At the moment I canīt find F-rates on this route
That's a typo, he meant LGW, not LHR
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a typo, he meant LGW, not LHR
Correcte, I thought I was wrong before when I checked AMS-LGW Unfortunally I didnīt get any results at the moment as the website-search-modus is down
Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Correcte, I thought I was wrong before when I checked AMS-LGW Unfortunally I didnīt get any results at the moment as the website-search-modus is down
You should find both classes bookable with money. Business is bookable with miles but First isn't.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Both airports have train stations and DB has frequent train service to them. I believe you'll have to make one change in the Cologne/Bonn area. The journey should take just over an hur.
As mentioned before there are also direct trains plying the FRA - CGN route, the shortest connection only taking 1hr3min.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yep, it seems First is the one not bookable on that leg. Business is available.
I flew that last summer in F on an SQ redemption (MUC-MAN).
Old Jan 20, 2016, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by User Name
I flew that last summer in F on an SQ redemption (MUC-MAN).
So First is available on that leg after all. I am getting my fare classes muddled, though Singapore Airlines' customer service is confusing me as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.