Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

found almost 620 old Deutsche Marks from 1988, are they worth anything now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

found almost 620 old Deutsche Marks from 1988, are they worth anything now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The places where you can exchange old DMs into Euros are limited and keep limited hours. For example, there's no such office in Bonn, the former capital.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The places where you can exchange old DMs into Euros are limited and keep limited hours. For example, there's no such office in Bonn, the former capital.
There are something like 35 Bundesbank branches in Germany, so finding a place to exchange them isn't too difficult. Bonn is a small city, and there would be no need for a branch there, with the large city of Cologne just up the road/down the river.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Southeastern Railway Gold :-)
Originally Posted by BelgianWaffle
Are they worth anything now? If so, what do I need to do?
At least you didn't find French francs
Old Dec 10, 2015, 5:24 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by dominiquelondon
At least you didn't find French francs
You can still sell these on ebay for 50-75% of their former value
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: no status
I thought all banks in Germany would do the exchange and just send the cash on to the Bundesbank. But I may be wrong ...
Old Feb 6, 2016, 4:20 am

You can find a list of Bundesbank branches that will exchange DM to € here:

https://www.bundesbank.de/Navigation..._filialen.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by Merlin666
I thought all banks in Germany would do the exchange and just send the cash on to the Bundesbank. But I may be wrong ...
Why would, or should, they do this?

AFAIK, no commercial bank in the Eurozone exchanges pre-euro currencies except within the stated period usually between 1-6 months immediately after the introduction of the euro.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 6:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by :D!

AFAIK, no commercial bank in the Eurozone exchanges pre-euro currencies except within the stated period usually between 1-6 months immediately after the introduction of the euro.
As you asking why a commercial bank should provide this service, or why the Bundesbank allows an exchange indefinitely? If the latter, the answer is that it is so enacted.

https://www.bundesbank.de/Redaktion/...o.html?https=1
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:23 pm
qpr

Originally Posted by :D!

Well, no commercial bank is doing the exchange anymore but we still have promotion days where you can buy with DM and some shops accept DM payment the whole year, too.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by qpr
we still have promotion days where you can buy with DM and some shops accept DM payment the whole year, too.
Do you have any examples? Do they accept 1pf coins? I'd like to try it the next time I go to exchange some DM
Old Feb 8, 2016, 2:05 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yes, many stores still accept DM as a advertising gimmick. The exchange rate is mostly 1€:2DM though.

Your local bank will accept DM for exchange as a courtesy for long time customers. Sometimes they charge a fee. Its the same process as for coins. My kids bring their (€) coins to the local sparkasse which is put in bags, sealed and sent to a central service unit who counts/converts and credits the amount to your/their account a few weeks later.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 3:40 am

The most "famous" shop accepting DM all the time would probably be the Spar Supermarkt in Bremen (shopblogger.de) - as others, he accepts it 2:1

I still have some DM coins around at home, definitely not worth the hassle to ever change them, but if I happened to know that I'll go somewhere where I know I can easily pay with DM, I might be inclined to do so..

For the case of the OP and 600 DM+, that's a different story. I would definitely exchange them. Now while the Euro will probably stay around for a while, there might be the day when it will be replaced by a new currency - or just altered into a new currency (think PIGS out, rest remain) but technically new bills etc. - at which time even the Bundesbank might stop cashing in old DM bills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.