Wiki Posts
Search

Germany Trip Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Germany Trip Suggestions

We have a 10 night vacation planned for mid-September, flying into FRA. When I booked the (good deal) air tickets, I didn't realize the dates included Oktoberfest. So last half of the trip will be in Munich for a few days, then the final 3 nights in Garmisch-Partenkirchen. But for the first 4 nights I've spent months going back & forth on where to visit.

Right now I've got the Hyatt in Mainz booked for some time in that area. Everything I've booked can be cancelled so am still debating if I should chose another area. We enjoy visiting wineries here in California; initially I was thinking Strasbourg but then decided when in Germany for a only a short time why not stay there. Have thought about Gengenbach to visit the Black Forest. Booked and cancelled Heidelberg; ditto Stuttgart.

Plan to travel by train and avoid renting a car if possible. I have a lot of IHG points, some Club Carlson. However, hotels in Germany seem reasonably priced so using points isn't a necessity. My husband and myself--prefer picturesque towns, museums, castles vs. hiking or outdoor sports. My normal MO is trying to cram as many places into a short time; however, trying to avoid that this trip and stay at least 3 nights in each place. I get it now--each time you pack and move takes a lot of hours of my precious vacation time.

Really am having a hard time making a choice at this point. Appreciate suggestions from anyone who's familiar with Germany.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:41 am

For wine tastings the area along the river Mosel is quite famous, plus: the city of Trier might be something for you and there are many vineyards as well.

Around Munich there is Neuschwanstein which was the model for Disney's Cinderella Castle.

Around Frankfurt there is Castle Frankenstein somewhere close by.

Here you can sometimes find cheaper train tickets for last minute deals: http://www.ltur.com/de/bahn.html?omn...i-Bahn-Tickets, unfortunately the page is only in German, feel free to send me a PN if you need help with that
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Germany Trip Suggestions

Since you are already staying in Munich and Garmisch, you are covering my first two recommendations. As far as a first place to spend a few days, Mrs. Anywhere and I would recommend Nuremberg. It has great train access from Frankfurt and to Munich, and is a great city to explore.

Garmisch is kind of an outdoor activity focused town. It needn't be strenuous outdoor activities. There are lots of easy, flat walks in the area, usually with a beer hall at the end! Other things we've done in the area include the Freilicht Glentleiten outdoor museum, Linderhoff Castle, Oberommergau, Andechs Monastery for excellent beer and food. But we've always had a car when we've been there.

From Garmisch, Mittenwald - the epitome of a picturesque town is a short train ride away.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I would suggest the Bavarian-Austrian border areas as well. Beautiful mountainous landscape with much to see and do. Füssen/Plansee/Mittenwald/Grainau/Garmisch, etc will make for a fine alpine drive. Have a look at Neuschwanstein, but don't bother going in or on a tour. What there is to see, you see from the outside. Also suggest the Chiemsee area, where you can visit a version of Versailles palace (though with a slightly larger Hall of Mirrors).

In the Black Forest area there are plenty of scenic drive from Freiburg (stay at the Hotel Colombi), or you can drive the Schwarzwaldhochstrasse, basically a loopy road along the high ridge of the forest.

In the Mosel area there are innumerable wineries with fine tours and tastings, too much to post here.

The Hyatt in Mainz is, um, pretty basic. Try to get a river-view room, but I doubt you'll want to stay there for more than one or two nights, when so much more beautiful scenery awaits you further south.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
For winery I suggest - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhineland-Palatinate
Less than an hour from Frankfurt.
I am staying around that region that is the wine capital of Germany, they have a wine fest soon I think.

Munich - Munich Residenz - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munich_Residenz
Doesn't look much outside but inside looks "different". Was here last week too my nephew. We had lunch at the Hofbräuhaus, great food and beer.

Salzburg, Austria - Is about 1.5hr from Munich the house for from the Sound Music is there.

Germany has no short of Castles
Old Aug 20, 2015, 3:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BRAISKI
I am staying around that region that is the wine capital of Germany, they have a wine fest soon I think.
That's an entire state, not a winery!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Regarding the wine fest, perhaps you are referring to Wurstmarkt in Bad Duerkheim? That takes place during our dates and sounds like fun. As we are trying to use trains for transportation, I fear it would be a major adventure/trek getting there? Really would like to experience that but due to our limited number of days, I'm thinking that might be too ambitious.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. LAX2Anywhere I like your suggestion of Nuremberg for a few reasons (easier train access being a big one). Could do a day trip to Bamberg as well as another to Regensburg? I just discovered there's a BMW factory tour in Regensburg. I've read about the one in Munich, but figured that would be sold out during our Oktoberfest dates. A bit of break from palaces and castles!

LondonElite, my intuition already tells me the Bavarian mountains will be my favorite. From Garmisch I hope we can get to (at a minimum) Mittenwald, Linderhof and Chiemsee. Maybe rent a car in Garmisch so we can get to outlying places more easily. Regarding Mainz and the Hyatt, I get what you're saying. Now contemplating upon arrival at FRA (a Sunday morning), stay in an airport hotel. Then take a train to Rudesheim & do the K-D boat/train winery visit. Thinking this will save time and better recovery from jet lag (from California). When we're ready to move on further afield in a day or so, it will be easier train-wise.

After better researching trains, I've eliminated the Black Forest idea. Takes too long to get there & then too long onto Munich.

Really kicking myself for not booking a few more days on this trip. Past experience tells me if I think we can do 4-5 things in a day, in reality it will end up being 2. We just cannot go at breakneck speed day & night any more. As they say, we need to stop to smell the roses!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:22 am
Suspended

If you are arriving from LA into Frankfurt, I would explore taking a high-speed ICE train (directly attached to the airport) to get you on your way to Munich (or at least into Bavaria). What is the point of hanging around Frankfurt airport? Right, there is none. Booked reasonably well in advance, first class seats are not expensive, so let someone else drive while you snooze a little. Depending on how far you want to go, you'll be in your first proper hotel that evening and refreshed, ready to have your first cold beer. Plan your trip from there. There are plenty of beautiful hotels in the countryside (in all price categories) so there's no point in wasting your time in a very unspecial Hyatt!
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
We just came back from a visit in the Rhine/Mosel Valley region. Lots of things to do. But really to appreciate it, you would need a car.
But you could do the Rhine River cruises from Mainz, stopping at cities along the way. There are ones you can book for hop on hop off. Train back.
Since France is right there, there are the options of Strasbourg and Colmar. We liked those cities. Both had train stations, IIRC.
Triar was also nice. You can easily get from Mainz to Heidelburg by train as well.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Agreed, you will need a car at some point, but probably not on day one.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That's an entire state, not a winery!
Its a region with wineries, have you been there?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:20 am
Suspended

Its a region with wineries, have you been there?
Almost weekly. Rheinland-Pfalz is a federal state, with hundreds of wineries; have you specifics in mind?
Old Aug 21, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
What I would do to avoid spending too much time on the roads is to treck southwards from Frankfurt to Munich without any detours further north.

Spend a night in Würzburg, a night in Rothenburg and a night in Nuremberg. Würzburg is a wonderful baroque city, Rothenburg is is well known for its well-preserved medieval old town and Nuremberg is plastered with history (from the massive old castle to the first German railroad and the Nazi period). The entire region is full of wine, beer and good regional food. You will not the see the entire Germany but a good chunk without driving hundreds of miles.

I personally would further devote only two nights to Garmisch, and two nights to Munich and two nights to Salzburg and Berchtesgaden. The drive from Salzburg to Garmisch is an experience and you will see once again wonderful landscapes.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Aug 21, 2015 at 3:13 pm
Old Aug 21, 2015, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The drive from Salzburg to Garmisch is an experience and you will see once again wonderful landscapes.
Agreed. You should drive on the Rossfeld Panaranomastrasse for a truly awesome experience. I posted briefly about a short trip there in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...rary-help.html
Old Aug 25, 2015, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Senator
Originally Posted by Steph58
Could do a day trip to Bamberg as well as another to Regensburg?
Sure. Both are beautiful and interesting cities. I would always recommend Regensburg. (I know for sure because I'm living there ) If interested I would happily give you some tips. Just ask.

Bamberg is a good choice too, of course.

Shortest trip to Bamberg from Nuremberg is about 35 min oneway and to Regensburg it's about 55 min oneway. Another idea would be to go from Nuremberg to Munich via Regensburg, it's not a long detour.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.