Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No-frills gym in Frankfurt

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

No-frills gym in Frankfurt

I will stay in Frankfurt for the next 3 months and I would like to workout at least 3 times a week. My apartment is located at Reuterweg in Westend, across the street from Instituto Cervantes.

This said, I'm looking for a no-frills gym where I can do squats, pull-ups, bench press and work with dumbbells.

I do NOT need fancy machines, classes or background music. It needs to be clean and well maintained, though.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:33 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please follow this thread in the Germany Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Google maps to the rescue, not sure exactly where your apartment is but...

Fitness First - Frankfurt - Westend - Black Label Club
Reuterweg 18
60323 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

or this one which seems a bit farther but still close...

PRIMETIME fitness
Bockenheimer Landstraße 24
60323 Frankfurt
Deutschland
Old Apr 5, 2015, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Google maps to the rescue, not sure exactly where your apartment is but...

Fitness First - Frankfurt - Westend - Black Label Club
Reuterweg 18
60323 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

or this one which seems a bit farther but still close...

PRIMETIME fitness
Bockenheimer Landstraße 24
60323 Frankfurt
Deutschland
Thanks for your reply but did you read my post until the end?

I'm looking for a place where I can do squats, pull-ups, bench press and work with dumbbells. The gyms you mentioned are in fact fitness centers in which I can do none of the above except for the dumbbells part.

As I said, I do not need classes or personal training, I do not need fancy expensive machines and I do not need background music. I need a real gym to workout, which apparently is not easy to find in Frankfurt.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I did read it, but I also assume every gym/fitness center has what you're looking for.

I've been to probably 20 different gyms in Canada/US, every single one no matter how small has had a squat rack, which can double as a bench press (if they don't have a separate unit) and a decent rack of dumbbells.

From what I can see on the Primetime Fitness Frankfurt website...I'm pretty sure they have what you're looking for, have you looked into it? It appears to me that it's a pretty decent gym, it has all the machines AND the regular supplies as well. If you're looking for strictly a powerlifting gym, those are never that easy to find, you'd be better off finding a powerlifting Germany forum and ask there. I'm sure one exists but you'll probably have to go much farther to get to it.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA, LH, AS, AB
Originally Posted by mmff
Thanks for your reply but did you read my post until the end?

I'm looking for a place where I can do squats, pull-ups, bench press and work with dumbbells. The gyms you mentioned are in fact fitness centers in which I can do none of the above except for the dumbbells part.

As I said, I do not need classes or personal training, I do not need fancy expensive machines and I do not need background music. I need a real gym to workout, which apparently is not easy to find in Frankfurt.
I'm not sure why you say you can't do what you want at those gyms. When I lived in Mannheim I was a member of Fitness First and I did everything you described (squats, pull-ups, bench press, dumbbells) without using a machine.

That being said though I would not recommend that particular Fitness First since they seem to be out of your price range. (This Fitness First gives you workout clothes and shoes.)
Old Apr 6, 2015, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

I did read it, but I also assume every gym/fitness center has what you're looking for.

I've been to probably 20 different gyms in Canada/US, every single one no matter how small has had a squat rack, which can double as a bench press (if they don't have a separate unit) and a decent rack of dumbbells.
That is my experience in the US as well but not in Europe. IME there are plenty of places with machines only. No bench press, no decent rack of dumbbells, no bar for pull-ups.

From what I can see on the Primetime Fitness Frankfurt website...I'm pretty sure they have what you're looking for, have you looked into it? It appears to me that it's a pretty decent gym, it has all the machines AND the regular supplies as well.
Originally Posted by WaxComb
I'm not sure why you say you can't do what you want at those gyms. When I lived in Mannheim I was a member of Fitness First and I did everything you described (squats, pull-ups, bench press, dumbbells) without using a machine.
Fair enough, I will pay them a visit and see what they have to offer. Thanks a lot for your input, I will report back.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mmff
That is my experience in the US as well but not in Europe. IME there are plenty of places with machines only. No bench press, no decent rack of dumbbells, no bar for pull-ups.

Fair enough, I will pay them a visit and see what they have to offer. Thanks a lot for your input, I will report back.
I will be interested what you find out. I will be traveling to FRA in the summer and be looking for a gym as well. I too often have problems finding basic non-commercial gyms to do a basic anerobic workout when traveling. Most of the advertised "fitness centers" are really just places for office workers to do a light workout or some yoga an hookup with others. They are usually full of useless weight machines and loud distracting music and wildly overpriced.

Something like a basic YMCA gym would suffice. Maybe in German cities there are gyms sponsored by local government or non-profit fitness organizations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.