Wiki Posts
Search

transportation out of DUS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton

Does anyone have the name of a taxi or limousine service that could take me from DID to Datteln? My brother is in bad health and if I have to go over on an emergency basis, I may be upset so I want to preplan a trip as well as possible . I can fly to DUS which is about an hour and 15 minutes from Datteln so that is the best airport. I do know there are trains that come near but I speak little German and might get confused with train connections. So I thought a taxi or limousine might be better. Opinions welcome experience more than welcome
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Blacklane is OK, also Sixt Limousine. But both are expensive (150 € up). A taxi woudn`t be much cheaper. A rental car would be an option
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't be too concerned about using public transport even with limited German. You can plan your journey online with the local transit authority (VRR) or on the German Rail (DB) website. The VRR site gives street-level views for connections and specific track (Gleis) and bus bay numbers for all your connections so you know exactly where to go.

A zone D ticket, which is indicated as the appropriate fare on the website, is only €13.70, and can be bought from multi-lingual ticket machines when you arrive at the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 4:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't be too concerned about using public transport even with limited German. You can plan your journey online with the local transit authority (VRR) or on the German Rail (DB) website. The VRR site gives street-level views for connections and specific track (Gleis) and bus bay numbers for all your connections so you know exactly where to go.

A zone D ticket, which is indicated as the appropriate fare on the website, is only €13.70, and can be bought from multi-lingual ticket machines when you arrive at the airport.
This is a very good point, and I have seen many people with no German language skills at all manage the process. There are a few points to be aware of...the ticket machines at DUS for the regional trains don't take credit cards and I believe EUR20 is the greatest denomination they accept. Also, the information desk (where they do speak English) is small and often has a massive queue outside it.
Old Dec 20, 2014, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by linglingfool
I know it doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't be too concerned about using public transport even with limited German.
If someone can handle public Transportation in Rome or Paris without Italian or Frensh language skills, DUS will be easy Itīs over all well organized, many information in English - so don`t worry
Old Dec 29, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Agree with the train recommendations. Its easy, ecen with littlw to no German skills. There is a train station is attached to DUS airport.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Take the train or rent a car. I don't speak German at all and have no issues with either mode of transportation.

The kiosks at the airport regional station have English mode.

You can look up the schedule in advance at bahn.de as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.