Search

Mittenwald or Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:57 pm
mjz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum

If you only had time to do one of these towns, which would you choose and why? I'm open to both, but Rothenburg seems a little Disney like from my research.

We're basing ourselves out of Munich and planning a series of day trips. Rothenburg is pushing it in regards to travel time for one day. We would consider doing a day in Nuremberg, overnighting at Le Meridien or Shearton, and then visiting Rothenburg the next day.

Mittenwald seems to be a reasonable day trip from Munich.

Thank you.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold

Haven't been to Rothenburg, but have been to Mittenwald - once in the winter a few years ago and again about 2 weeks ago.

Mittenwald is a pleasant day trip, although we were staying in Garmisch so it was a shorter trip than from Munich. For the winter trip, we went by train since it was snowing pretty hard. For our recent trip it was a short drive from Garmisch. We only spent a few hours there, mostly strolling the old town area and visiting the violin museum.

For a day trip from Munich you might want to see more of Mittwald - hiking in the local mountains - or add some other stops like Garmisch (highly recommend the Partnachklamm hike), Andechs Monastery for a beer and a meal, or Ettal Monastery and Lindhof Castle.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 5:59 am
mjz
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
Haven't been to Rothenburg, but have been to Mittenwald - once in the winter a few years ago and again about 2 weeks ago.

Mittenwald is a pleasant day trip, although we were staying in Garmisch so it was a shorter trip than from Munich. For the winter trip, we went by train since it was snowing pretty hard. For our recent trip it was a short drive from Garmisch. We only spent a few hours there, mostly strolling the old town area and visiting the violin museum.

For a day trip from Munich you might want to see more of Mittwald - hiking in the local mountains - or add some other stops like Garmisch (highly recommend the Partnachklamm hike), Andechs Monastery for a beer and a meal, or Ettal Monastery and Lindhof Castle.
Thank you for the response and Garmisch tips.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
like LAX2Anywhere, I haven't been to Rothenburg. I went to Mittenwald in the winter on a day trip from Munich and found the scenery stunning, not just in the town but on the train en route. The town was a small, pleasant town - smaller than Rothenburg. It was pleasant to walk around in, and I think a hike in the mountains, weather permitting, or a visit to Garmisch would be a very nice day indeed.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 12:53 pm

I would say Disney is a little Rothenburg-like, rather than the other way around. It is well worth an overnight stay. For example, I stayed in a hotel that has been an inn or hotel continuously since 1380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.