Wiki Posts
Search

2 hours at Dortmund Hbf late on a Saturday evening

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
come on guys, this is Germany... No gangs, but lots of police and security. Also Dortmund Hauptbahnhof between 22:00 and 0:00 hours will be everything but quiet...
Having been around at/near various train stations past midnight many, many times (Frankfurt, Hamburg, Dortmund, Essen, Duisburg, Bochum etc.) I've certainly seen a whole lot of unpleasant people (and very few policemen/security staff), but I agree the train station should still be quite busy around 10p.m. I didn't mean to scare anyone off, but the areas around German train stations aren't the most pleasant or safest places to hang out past midnight IMO.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 3:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Having been around at/near various train stations past midnight many, many times (Frankfurt, Hamburg, Dortmund, Essen, Duisburg, Bochum etc.)
Care to tell us a little more?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I lived in Wales for 3 years so confident I can cope with whatever the station can throw at me.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Care to tell us a little more?
Really nothing too exciting. When I lived in Germany I often took the train to get to various places and I frequently ended up taking the last train of the day, or taking a local train/bus when meeting friends/going out which stop at/near the train station; so I often ended up being at/near various train stations between 12a.m.-2a.m.

Basically plenty of people from the groups mentioned above. Usually the main hall and the area between the main hall and where the taxis wait is safe whereas the side streets and back/side entrances of the train station attract various people I prefer not to interact with:

- prostitutes
- pimps screaming at prostitutes
- drug dealers (it's not uncommon to be actively approached whether you want to buy something if you're under 30)
- drug addicts and homeless people
- groups of Arabs/Turks harassing people, openly playing around with their knives
- gypsies aggressively begging

Except for some policemen attending to a man who had just been stabbed (not fatally) I fortunately never experienced any incidents first-hand, but in many cities the area around the train station isn't necessarily a place you want to hang out at night.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Really nothing too exciting. When I lived in Germany I often took the train to get to various places and I frequently ended up taking the last train of the day, or taking a local train/bus when meeting friends/going out which stop at/near the train station; so I often ended up being at/near various train stations between 12a.m.-2a.m.

Basically plenty of people from the groups mentioned above. Usually the main hall and the area between the main hall and where the taxis wait is safe whereas the side streets and back/side entrances of the train station attract various people I prefer not to interact with:

- prostitutes
- pimps screaming at prostitutes
- drug dealers (it's not uncommon to be actively approached whether you want to buy something if you're under 30)
- drug addicts and homeless people
- groups of Arabs/Turks harassing people, openly playing around with their knives
- gypsies aggressively begging

Except for some policemen attending to a man who had just been stabbed (not fatally) I fortunately never experienced any incidents first-hand, but in many cities the area around the train station isn't necessarily a place you want to hang out at night.
Exactly! Won`t say it`s always dangerous and it`s getting better, but sometimes you have Dealers, drunks and so on. Over all Train stations are often meeting points for riff raff in Germany. In Dortmund you have for example a very strong right-wing Scene which isn`t too funny. Although you have a strong left-wing scene and some nice gangs from forgain countries and a lot of child-crime....

If you understand German this is an interesting article: http://www.derwesten.de/politik/waru...id9724536.html

Last edited by offerendum; Aug 21, 2014 at 6:30 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:31 pm

Having been around at/near various train stations past midnight many, many times (Frankfurt, Hamburg, Dortmund, Essen, Duisburg, Bochum etc.) I've certainly seen a whole lot of unpleasant people (and very few policemen/security staff), but I agree the train station should still be quite busy around 10p.m. I didn't mean to scare anyone off, but the areas around German train stations aren't the most pleasant or safest places to hang out past midnight IMO.
Most Americans will find the train stations in Germany to be quiet and orderly even at these later hours....compared with the scene in many American downtowns in the evenings where it feels downright dangerous to be on the streets. It's all relative.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT
IMO 2h in Dortmund are 2h too many.
Unless BVB are playing ^
Old Aug 22, 2014, 5:50 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
Most Americans will find the train stations in Germany to be quiet and orderly even at these later hours....compared with the scene in many American downtowns in the evenings where it feels downright dangerous to be on the streets. It's all relative.
I think the OP is British - and I certainly find German cities and railway stations to be safer feeling at night than British ones.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 6:29 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
DortmundHbf has Fastfood restuarants (McDonalds, Subways, KfC) some bakeries but it looks like they don't have a typical crappy railwaystation pub (Bahnhofskneipe) with cheap beer. To be honest this would be the place to be from a cultural standpoint.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Unless BVB are playing ^
Avoid Dortmund at this times at all coasts. Fortunally the "Signal Iduna Arena" or "Ort des Schreckens" is quite a distance away from the main Station. But you will see many People in this ugly yellow clothes.

You see, Dortmund is my favourite club

I must double Reindeerflames comment, it`s all relative. Over all it should be safe and no reason to be afraid.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 10:55 am

It's not really dangerous, just not pleasant either. I wouldn't paint horror scenarios but rail stations tend to put you a bit on edge "after hours".
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hovels Hausbrauerei was an excellent place for some delicious dark beer is a very relaxed environment. I liked a lot. ^

The Hbf? It was boisterous and noisy with football fans, people on a night out, a group of girls in bunny rabbit ears dancing and the usual interesting characters. But there were plenty of police and security and it felt much less threatening than Brussels Midi did earlier in the day. Like I generally find in Germany people are pretty courteous and one over excited Bayern fan bumped into me and was very apologetic, in good English too. I have seen far far worse.

The reason for the late visit can be seen in my signature.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 4:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Glad to hear it all worked out...another one for the archives!
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
2 hours at Dortmund Hbf late on a Saturday evening

Glad you had a safe time! I love Dortmund (went annually 1994-2008) and always arrived via HBF albeit during the day/evening. Oh the memories... enjoy the rest of the journey to Hong Kong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.