Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Onward flight at Dusseldorf can anyone help please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Hi

Please can anyone help? We are flying American Airlines from Chicago into Dusseldorf and on the same ticket have a connecting Flybe flight back to Manchester (3 hour`ish stopover).

I am really struggling to find any information or advice on what will happen in Dusseldorf to get us onto the Flybe flight (usually we do interconnecting flights with the same airline and it is so easy).

My questions relate the the Flybe flight and no one including Flybe, Expedia etc seem to be able to help.

We are hoping to check in for our return flight with American Airlines on-line. Please would anyone know if we can check in for the Flybe flight at the same time. I am being told we can....then we can`t check in on line must do it at Chicago at American Airlines check in desk...I have also been told we have to check in for Flybe at Dusseldorf as American Airlines can`t do it as it is a different airline. Yet everything was booked at the same time on the same ticket.

As you can imagine I am really confused and no one can clarify anything for me. I am also unsure if our baggage will go Chicago to Manchester or if we have to retrieve it at Dusseldorf.

If anyone can help any advice would be really appreciated as you can imagine I seem to be going round in circles. Thank you.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by d1191
Hi

Please can anyone help? We are flying American Airlines from Chicago into Dusseldorf and on the same ticket have a connecting Flybe flight back to Manchester (3 hour`ish stopover).

I am really struggling to find any information or advice on what will happen in Dusseldorf to get us onto the Flybe flight (usually we do interconnecting flights with the same airline and it is so easy).

My questions relate the the Flybe flight and no one including Flybe, Expedia etc seem to be able to help.

We are hoping to check in for our return flight with American Airlines on-line. Please would anyone know if we can check in for the Flybe flight at the same time. I am being told we can....then we can`t check in on line must do it at Chicago at American Airlines check in desk...I have also been told we have to check in for Flybe at Dusseldorf as American Airlines can`t do it as it is a different airline. Yet everything was booked at the same time on the same ticket.

As you can imagine I am really confused and no one can clarify anything for me. I am also unsure if our baggage will go Chicago to Manchester or if we have to retrieve it at Dusseldorf.

If anyone can help any advice would be really appreciated as you can imagine I seem to be going round in circles. Thank you.
Do you have a 6 digit confirmation number(Record locator) for both flights? It sounds like it is all one e-ticket. You can use the Flybe locator to simply do a web-checkin at flybe.com. Is that your question?

Your luggage should be sent all the way to Manchester. Make sure when you check it that the tag lists Manchester as the final destination.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Thank you for replying.

On the confirmation from Expedia I have an Expedia itinerary number, an Expedia booking ID (flight) and confirmation codes from Finnair / US Airways our outbound flight and confirmation codes from American Airlines and Flybe that are both 6 digits long All this information is one one ticket.

I have been able to log onto every flight we have apart from Flybe to assign seats etc I just keep getting an error code, Flybe have confirmed over the phone we do have 3 seats on the flight but were no help when I asked how I check in.

My question is: please do you know if we should be able to check in online 24 hours before or if we will have to check in at Dusseldorf? I assumed, maybe wrongly that when we logged into American Airlines to come home that both flights would come up as they are connecting flights.

Sorry if I am confusing, but everyone seems to be telling me something different and after an 8+ hour night overnight flight want the least amount of hassle at the other end.

Thank you
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:45 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT d1191!

I must admit that I have never connected from AA to Flybe, so my information may not be 100% accurate, but bear with me, as this is all not too complicated.

1. I am fairly certain that AA and Flybe interline. That means your luggage will go straight to its final destination, and you will not see it in DUS.

2. You will be able to check in for you AA flights online, either through the app or through the usual website. You should be able to do the same with Flybe.

3. If you choose to checkin at the airport, I believe (but this is where I'm not 100% certain) that AA can give you the DUS-MAN boarding passes. If you have previously printed them out when you checked in (within 24 hrs) this point is obviously moot.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Many thanks, that sounds good.

I`m not sure if this will work but if we check in online we could try Flybe first and if it works then do the AA flight, if it doesn`t then wait until the airport and keep our fingers crossed. I have seats on the AA flight so assume they will still be there for us wherever we check in, Flybe I`m sure the seats could be anywhere but at least its only a very short flight.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:13 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
When you say Flybe were no help, what do you mean? Did they say you can't checkin online, or did they say you can only do it the day before, or what?

I think you're panicking unnecessarily. If you can't check in online with Flybe, I would suggest that when you get to ORD you go to the AA counter and ask if they can print your boarding passes for DUS-MAN.

Even if they can't, you have 3 hours in DUS. That should be plenty of time to get to Flybe and checkin at the airport if you need to. Or even, worst case scenario, if you had to get your bags and re-check them, you should still have enough time.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:54 am
Suspended

Indeed. It doesn't matter what sequence you do the online checkin, and with all that time in DUS it won't be a problem. Here is what will happen:
- get off the plane
- walk through to transit area
- sit around for ages with nothing to do
- get the desk to print you BPs if you don't have them
- sit around a bit more and probably doze off
- get on plane again.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:19 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
When is your ORD-DUS?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...r-10-24-a.html
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I always recommend looking at the airport's website.
http://www.dus.com/dus_en/transferring/
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply, I`m feeling a little better now.

When i spoke to Flybe they checked we were on the flight and said we had 3 bags checked, but could offer no information whatsoever about whether we could check-in online, at the AA desk or if we had to do it in Dusseldorf!

Our flights are AA Chicago to Dusseldorf on the 28 August and then Flybe on the 29th August to Manchester.

I did have a look at the airports website and connections seemed straight forward according to that, but I was worried what to do if we didn`t actually have the boarding passes, wondering if there was a desk in the arrivals/transit area or if we would have to go in search of departures area.

Am I right in thinking that our hold baggage should go straight through, as we have 23kg each according to Expedia, but of course Flybe being budget airline seem to differ! I really am so cross with myself for booking such stupid flights.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:11 am
Suspended

I've checked with Flybe for you...

1. You can check in online or by app 36 hours before your flight. There are several options.

http://www.flybe.com/checkin/airport-availability.htm

2. Whilst Flybe has different luggage policies, you are not subject to these as you are coming from an international flight on the same ticket.

http://www.flybe.com/baggage/baggage-terms.htm
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:25 am
Original Poster

Thank you LondonElite, really appreciate that info. Pheww..baggage sorted! just assuming it will not make a guest appearance at Dusseldorf and it will go straight through. I will try and check-in online and if not will try AA at Chicago and if all that fails will sort at Dusseldorf..think I am making things a lot harder than they are by worrying (the other half has less of a clue than me so at least of us needs a bit of a plan).

Think I have looked at so many websites and spoke to so many people I have missed stuff, I didn`t see that on the Flybe site. Thanks again.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:40 am
Suspended

Right now just relax and enjoy it! DUS is one of the easiest airports to transit through!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
This seems to reinforce my belief that if you use Expedia, Travelocity, et al. it should only be for simple, domestic flights. I find the service extraordinary for tickets purchased directly from the air carrier, even if the cost is a few bucks more. And I didn't even mention seat selection headaches....

And yes, Dusseldorf is a helpful, manageable airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.