Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ten days in Berlin in August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Ten days in Berlin in August

What would you do?

We will be spending ten days in Berlin next month (ten days total, with a week in the Frankfurt area in between the two stays, so six days in Berlin, a week in Frankfurt, then four days in Berlin, then leave). What would you do in Berlin, if this were your trip? We have visited before, in winter, and enjoyed the Christmas markets (which obviously won't be there), museums, restaurants, and a bit of shopping.

We definitely need to return to Museum Island (that sounds like a bad movie sequel, doesn't it?). Do a lot more strolling, since the weather will be much nicer. Are there events in summer that should be on our radar? Concerts? Is it ballet season? Opera?

Tell me about summer in Berlin.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:51 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Usually in Summer, Opera and concert halls are on their summer break and do not have any operas or concerts (though there might be some events nevertheless).

A trip to Wannsee or Potsdam comes toy my mind, enjoying the sunny weather in one of the restaurants with outdoor seating in Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg in the evening would be a good option, maybe Schloss Charlottenburg.

(you might already know it, but maybe http://www.berlin.de/en/ gives you also some suggestion regarding your interests.

Are you going to Frankfurt (Oder) or Frankfurt (Main) ?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Usually in Summer, Opera and concert halls are on their summer break and do not have any operas or concerts (though there might be some events nevertheless).

A trip to Wannsee or Potsdam comes toy my mind, enjoying the sunny weather in one of the restaurants with outdoor seating in Kreuzberg or Prenzlauer Berg in the evening would be a good option, maybe Schloss Charlottenburg.

(you might already know it, but maybe http://www.berlin.de/en/ gives you also some suggestion regarding your interests.

Hi! Frankfurt (Main), sorry. Actually, we're going to a suburb (Darmstadt), which is a few miles outside of it. Visiting family, so our time there is pretty much pre-planned long before we arrive.

As to Berlin. Potsdam and Charlottenburg sound wonderful (my husband has already put the former on the list, and I have always been tempted by the latter -- it looks so beautiful!).

Thank you for the website. That is perfect!
Old Jul 24, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
It's about an hour by train to Leipzig and two hours to Dresden. Perfect for a day trip.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by FLYGVA

I imagine a week in Frankfurt/Oder would be the sort of thing few foreign visitors would indulge in..
Old Jul 25, 2014, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I imagine a week in Frankfurt/Oder would be the sort of thing few foreign visitors would indulge in..
If foreign visitors have the guts to use trains and busses or had a car, the areas is really nice.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 4:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
OK, so I would rent a car and drive to Dresden. There is so much to see there and the countryside is beautiful. Visit some vineyards. The Spree area also is very nice. The other part of your trip you could drive up to the island of Rügen or Binz for some seaside time. We are having really hot weather in Europe and the Baltic will be nice to cool off in.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We actually are thinking of going up to the Baltic this time. Such a traditional thing to do in summer, and it is a lovely part of the country . . .
Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I was just about to suggest a trip to Usedom or Rügen.
I would second the idea of hiring a car (we pay around €100 for 3 days over the weekend Mercedes E class from Hertz Friedrichstr) and seeing some of the countryside.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:43 pm

one more advice

Hi,
since most concert halls are on summer break, you have to look for the exceptions. One would be "the waldbühne"
http://www.waldbuehne-berlin.de/programm.html
which is an open-air venue built for the olympic games 1936. They have a very mixed program, maybe you could find something which suits your taste.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
I spent a few days in Leipzig. From Berlin, you could do a day trip or even one night in Leipzig--there's enough to do.

Don't know how far you penetrated in Berlin museums and such, but there is much more than Museum Island. For example, there is the Bauhaus museum, and a museum with a lot of Klee works, Kollwitz museum, etc.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Don't forget the DDR museum!
Old Aug 13, 2014, 3:04 pm

Programs: no status
I would have liked to Berlin this summer as well but was over allowable mileage. Anyway, I would have put a river cruise on the itinerary. Did one in the 80s and the guide said that only Venice had more bridges ...

http://www.berlincitytours.rezgo.com/tag/river+cruises

As mentioned above, a trip to Wannsee and that should also include the Pfaueninsel.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Temedar
Don't forget the DDR museum!
Absolutely fascinating.

Originally Posted by AlaninDC
I spent a few days in Leipzig. From Berlin, you could do a day trip or even one night in Leipzig--there's enough to do.
I concur with Alan. Do a day trip to Leipzig!

Don't know how far you penetrated in Berlin museums and such, but there is much more than Museum Island. For example, there is the Bauhaus museum, and a museum with a lot of Klee works, Kollwitz museum, etc.
I loved the Gemäldegalerie.

Originally Posted by ysolde
What would you do?
Are you up to seeing a concentration camp? You can take the S1 to Oranienburg (45 minute ride from Berlin-Friedrichstraße) or the regional train RE 5 (25 minute ride from Berlin-Hauptbahnhof) and walk to Sachsenhausen which was both a Nazi and later a Soviet concentration camp.
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT
If DDR-era history interests you, check out the old Stasi prison in Hohenschönhausen. (If you've seen The Lives of Others, it's where the interrogation scenes are set.) Very creepy and moving, and different from the concentration camps which were focused on labor and death, as it was instead focused on deliberately inflicting both physical and psychological discomfort on enemies of the state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.