Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Okay, I understand. Yes GPS is a good idea.

My GPS does not need a SIM card, but a good store to buy SIM cards is

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...s/photair.html
Old Dec 26, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by STEPHANKOENIG
Okay, I understand. Yes GPS is a good idea.

My GPS does not need a SIM card, but a good store to buy SIM cards is

http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...s/photair.html
Thanks. Just to make sure, I can get to this store after I get off the flight? I will be flying in from Paris, in the Schengen zone I assume.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by flyhen
Thanks. Just to make sure, I can get to this store after I get off the flight?
Frankfurt is a big Airport, but yes, it should be close. Also, they have more than one location as you can see from the list.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:18 am
Original Poster

So I bought my blau.de sim-card at the Marienplatz. The guy working there wouldn't help me registering it because 'das ist nicht mein Job' but the people at my hotel were very friendly and registered it on my name. 15 minutes later I had a working German phone number and had 3g service wherever I needed.

I bought the card for 10 euro and on the day I left(after 4 days) I had around 1 euro left on it.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Here's a slight variation: I purchased a T-Mobile SIM in 2006, and had used it whenever in Europe over the last few years, adding funds as needed. However, when I went online to load value to the SIM, I discovered that the SIM is no longer active (no longer appears), However, I can still log into the account with the same user name and password.

When I am next in Germany in a couple of week, will I be able to get a new SIM without having to open a new account? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:27 am
Suspended

You can send TMD an E-Mail maybe the reactivate your Simcard.
If you want i can ship you a Austrian Simcard.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 4:19 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Where can I top up my Pay as you Go Vodaphone SIM at FRA?

Any recommendations?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Originally Posted by NYTA
Any recommendations?
Most of the stores that sell magazines, batteries, books, and magazines in the landside, and airport mall part of the FRA airport also sell top ups for cell phones.

Look for a sign at the entrance or by the cash register.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
Where can I top up my Pay as you Go Vodaphone SIM at FRA?
Do it online with CreditCard or paypal. Let me know if you need help with the language.

https://aufladen.vodafone.de/de/shop...id/vodafone-de
Old Jan 7, 2013, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Thanks all - turns out I lost my Vodafone sim card (I have 11 sims, so this must have fallen out of my bag somehow). I bought a new one from Blau.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
If anyone is looking for a short-term (or long-term even) SIM card solution, I would recommend Lebara Mobile. The SIM card only costs a couple Euro, and you can get "unlimited" 3G data for 9,90 EUR/month. After 500MD of data use, it switched to EDGE-type service. Lebara uses the T-Moblie (Telekom) networks, so service is very reliable. They also have great UK-based customer support in English (among other languages), so getting needed help is easy. You can purchase top-up codes at DM, Edeka, etc...

You can register the SIM online, and you'll have working service in minutes.

Good luck!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:21 pm

Is there a place to buy a SIM card at MUC airport?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:29 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
dm is currently selling the T-mobile Xtra triple for 8.41€ which includes a 15€ deposit, the Xtra card with 10€ on it can be had for 4€. I would assume other drugstores like Rossmann match it.
Old May 21, 2013, 4:42 am

in Hamburg, want ("permanent"?) pre-paid SIM card for Galaxy S3 (Verizon)

Hello all, similar variation ...

I'm currently in Hamburg, Germany and am looking for some advice re prepaid SIM.

I am a US citizen, and I don't have a German/European bank account, though US credit cards. I would like to get a prepaid micro SIM card for my Verizon Galaxy S3(*).

I visit Germany once a year or every 18 months, and I would like to be able to be able to keep the same number if possible (ie. have a card that doesn't expire automatically after 6 months or a year). I don't have a problem adding some nominal amount of money to the card via the internet+credit card every once in a while from the US if that helps keep it alive so that I can use the same number on my Verizon S3 in Hamburg when I come back to Germany. I don't use my phone that often while here, but I do want to be reachable and make calls every once in a while.

I bought a Tchibo card, but it turned out to require a German bank account for the "Freischaltung" of the SIM card :-/ Since I tore open the package I doubt I can return it (?)

Can anyone recommend an easy and hopefully cost-effective solution? I think the going rates per minute are 9 cents. I'd be willing to pay a bit extra (up front?) if it makes the process of getting set up quick and painless.

Thanks!

(*) Note, Verizon's S3 has been "crippled" so that it can't surf the net overseas, but only be used for voice and SMS. (They have disabled the APN menu, so I suppose it makes no sense for me to pay extra for a data packet).
Old May 21, 2013, 6:15 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Every German city has an area that is lined with shops that offer quick service in such situations. In Munich its around the Haubtbahnhof, in Hamburg it seems to be a number of turkish shops in the side alley of the Reeperbahn. More here: http://www.telefon-treff.de

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.