Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying a prepaid sim-card in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:55 pm

Ok, how about this:

What is the cheapest service to call a US number, per minute? What is the smallest amount you can pay for a Sim?

IE, is there a card we can get for, say, 10E that will have that much credit on it, and will activate within a couple hours?

We actually go through Germany twice. Our first is a 3hr layover in TXL. I imagine it will be hard to find a Sim card for a reasonable price in TXL. Our second time is a week later when we land in Munich for a week. We have a whole day to get it activated. We will have an ipad and will be able to find some wifi to activate it if we need.

So, what are the easy/cheap german options for a Sim, when all we need to do is make/take a few calls from a US number? I already have an unlocked phone.

I have searched and searched and searched, spent probably 10 hrs on this, and get tons of conflicting information, complaints about services, closed stores, ripoffs, etc, etc, etc. Thanks for any help you can give. I try to have every detail planned out before we go, but this is something new to me.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT
I haven't looked at TXL in a while, but as it's a pretty small airport, I don't think you'll have a lot of options that aren't overpriced. €10 is pretty typical for a SIM that comes with €5-€10 of credit, and there are a lot of options to choose from once you get into town from the airport. Calls to the US typically run €0.10/min or so. There is an English-language wiki with some good information available here.

Where are you staying in Munich? We can help narrow down the nearest stores that you'd be able to pick up a SIM at. They usually activate fairly quickly, but it'll be a problem if it doesn't go smoothly, so it would be best if you could buy it from somewhere that has a German speaker to get it set up and do any troubleshooting.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 3:14 pm

Mercure Hotel Orbis Munchen Sud

I see there are 2 ALDI and a Saturn around the stops we can get off at (Neuperlach Zentrum and Quiddestrasse). ALDI has "ALDITalk" and the Saturn has 5 choices according to their website:

blau.de
klarmobil
fonic
saturn

So, which should I get, assuming all are available?

Is there a better store around that area?

Again, I'm only making and receiving a few calls to someone who will be in Munich with us, with his US iphone with his US phone number. I will not be using any data or anything like that.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by miadeals
Mercure Hotel Orbis Munchen Sud

I see there are 2 ALDI and a Saturn around the stops we can get off at (Neuperlach Zentrum and Quiddestrasse). ALDI has "ALDITalk" and the Saturn has 5 choices according to their website:

blau.de
klarmobil
fonic
saturn

So, which should I get, assuming all are available?

Is there a better store around that area?

Again, I'm only making and receiving a few calls to someone who will be in Munich with us, with his US iphone with his US phone number. I will not be using any data or anything like that.
I think Saturn is exactly what you're looking for. Aldi will sell you a SIM, but you're on your own as far as setup goes; Saturn is like Best Buy, they'll have tech-savvy people that can get you up and running -- just make sure they put you on a pre-paid plan, not a post-paid plan. Personally, I'm partial to Fonic, and their rate structure is similar to what I mentioned above (€10 for the SIM + €10 credit, €0.09/min to the US). Plus, if you stick the SIM into your phone and send a text message or make a call at least once a year, the SIM will remain active, and you won't have to worry about buying another on a return trip.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:33 pm

I was thinking one other thing.

I have a layover at TXL from 7am - 11am. I saw there is a Saturn 10 min away, but it won't be open until 10am (too late). However, when I viewed Fonic's website, it said their SIM cards were available at Lidl, which opens at 8am, and is right by the Saturn. Is this true? Can I get a Fonic card at Lidl?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:43 am

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
I used Fonic when I visited in 2012. It had the benefit that it offered free data for the first month (that offer probably not still around).

I now live here and use Lebara. You can get the SIM cards from most corner stores (or delivered to your hotel). Then there are a range of options that include data and calls as well as cheap calls to US.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:57 am

However, when I viewed Fonic's website, it said their SIM cards were available at Lidl, which opens at 8am, and is right by the Saturn. Is this true? Can I get a Fonic card at Lidl?
If you're talking about this page, it says that Fonic top-up cards are available at Lidl, not SIMs, as Fonic also markets a separate Lidl brand. However, the rates are essentially the same, so if you're willing to try activating it on your own (which isn't difficult), that's certainly an option -- just don't expect any help from anyone at Lidl.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
If you're talking about this page, it says that Fonic top-up cards are available at Lidl, not SIMs, as Fonic also markets a separate Lidl brand. However, the rates are essentially the same, so if you're willing to try activating it on your own (which isn't difficult), that's certainly an option -- just don't expect any help from anyone at Lidl.
Well crap.

So, anything open around Tegel at 8am that will have Fonic cards?

Will Lidl cards have the same .09 rate to the US?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:01 pm

Will Lidl cards have the same .09 rate to the US?
Yes. As I mentioned (and you can see even if you can't read German), the Lidl and Fonic price lists are virtually identical; they didn't even bother to change the formatting of the PDFs.

Perhaps others know of a nearby English-speaking electronics store that's open earlier, but if not, Lidl is a decent option.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 2:04 am

Thank you for your help so far.

One more option I think: at the Reisebank in the actual airport, I read they sell blauworld sim cards. This way I won't have to leave the airport and pay bus fares, etc. Is this a viable option or something I should stay away from?
Old Sep 17, 2014, 11:19 am

I'm not familiar with their product, so perhaps others can comment on it, but if the starter kit is priced reasonably and you're able to get it directly at the airport, I think it's certainly worth a try. I honestly haven't bothered looking at SIM cards at the airport in years, since in my experience they've been marked up to €20 or €30 with the same €5 or €10 of credit that you could find once settled in town.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:52 pm

I'm looking to purchase a SIM card for data only for an iPhone 5 (don't need call or sms) in Munich - what's the best place to get one and what's the best plan out there?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by t325
I'm looking to purchase a SIM card for data only for an iPhone 5 (don't need call or sms) in Munich - what's the best place to get one and what's the best plan out there?
Read the last 3-4 pages of the thread, lots of good info.
Old May 2, 2015, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by i2kb2k
I would like to update this thread with my recent experience with blau.de. I bought blau.de card at Bundi market stores. I bought starter pack for Euro 9.98 which gives you SIM card which is regular size & has slots to cut/break it into micro-SIM. It comes with Euro 10 credit with it upon activation. I also bought Euro 15 credit.

Activation was very easy. Kit comes with the instructions in German. You can kind of understand what it says to activate it in 3 steps. Go to activation blau.de website on Chrome browser and let the browser translate it to English for you. After activation, put SIM card in phone after half an hour and do the settings for SMS, MMS & Internet:
For iPhone http://www.blau.de/service/faq?1094_GER_WSS
For Android: http://www.blau.de/service/faq?776_GER_WSS

After activation, you get an email with blau.de phone number and password. You can then enroll for plan.

SIM is active for 1 year. I chose Smartphone L plan which comes with 200 minutes, 200 SMS & 500 mb data. I regretted my decision later because I just wanted to call my family in US. I used Vonage application for android to call my family which just uses data. Data speed is very good, it showed 4G on my phone. Next time when I go, I will choose Euro 9 plan for 1 GB web.

Hope it helps.
Useful post!

Any chance of buying a SIM card (seems like Blau is preferable) at FRA airport? Will have about 2.5 hours at the airport.
(non-schengen to schengen flight transfer);
Old May 2, 2015, 4:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
If you are staying in urban areas, blau should be ok. Outside urban areas, blau is not as good as vodafone and telekom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.