Wiki Posts
Search

Weekend in FRA

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHONORS, AA, Delta, Southwest, Avis, Emerald Club
Weekend in FRA

Im going to have a weekend (partial Friday, full sat and sun) in FRA and I'm looking for suggestions to fill the time. I typically don't have a problem filling my half day visits, but an entire weekend is a little different. Not particularly swayed toward something in particular, just want to be able to take in what Frankfurt has to offer.

I'm interested in a day river cruise, but am a little confused by the offerings. I'm usually quite good at figuring things out, but haven't quite figured out the cruises (from where to embark, of the trips are round trip or one way, and reasonable day trips). Any practical advice is much welcomed.

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by SporkLover
Im going to have a weekend (partial Friday, full sat and sun) in FRA and I'm looking for suggestions to fill the time. I typically don't have a problem filling my half day visits, but an entire weekend is a little different. Not particularly swayed toward something in particular, just want to be able to take in what Frankfurt has to offer.

I'm interested in a day river cruise, but am a little confused by the offerings. I'm usually quite good at figuring things out, but haven't quite figured out the cruises (from where to embark, of the trips are round trip or one way, and reasonable day trips). Any practical advice is much welcomed.

Thanks!
I'd get out of town, unless you are fond of modern German cities.

Personally I would take an ICE to Koln and meander back up the Rhine checking out any of the villages that strike your fancy. Mainz is nice. I also think Heidelberg is a nice day trip from Frankfurt.

This looks like a good option if you want to cruise the Rhine, just need to get over to Mainz, which is easy using public transportation.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:37 pm

Check this:

http://www.primus-linie.de/en/fahrten/alle-fahrten.html

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eiserner_Steg

http://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/cm...s_vessels.html
Old May 28, 2012, 4:55 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
The biggest cruise line on the rhine is KD http://www.k-d.de/english/home/

You need to take the train to Mainz or Rüdesheim to get on board. The boat then goes down river through the most beautiful part of the rhine valley. To get back to Frankfurt you take the train. Alternatively you take the train from Frankfurt to Koblenz and take the 2pm boat to Mainz.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
Originally Posted by SporkLover

If you're into shopping, visit the Zeil shopping street right in the city center.

For the different sights, wikipedia should give you enough ideas for 1-2 days of sightseeing. I don't know if you're into culinary relaxation of partying, so reply here if you want to have tips for that as well.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:56 am

Stop at Bitter & Zart (Braubachstr. 14) after visiting the Dom/Römer area for their amazing Macaroons/chocolates/cakes.
Nice non-chain shopping and lots of local flair along Berger Straße.
Lots of great museums like the Städel, Senckenberg, or Experiminta.
Frankfurt's inner city is very green. If it's nice, visit Palmengarten and then walk through the residential area along Friedrichstraße and Böhmerstraße or maybe along Wolfsgartenstraße. Lots of small parks in that area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.