Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Frontier 2016 Summer Schedule

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Frontier 2016 Summer Schedule

I noticed that Frontier has added several less than dailies this summer, going back to a model from couple of years ago.
Some new routes:
PHL-IND (3x weekly) Sun, Tue, Thurs
PHL-CLE (4x weekly), M W F Sat
PHL-CVG (4x weekly) M W F Sat
PHL-BNA (4x weekly) M W F Sat
PHL-MKE (3x weekly). Sun, Tue, Thurs
PHL-MSY (3x weekly) Sun, Tue, Thurs
PHL-AUS (3x weekly). Sun, Tue, Thurs. Suprised to see this one, as AA even suspended this route for some time because of it's length.

I think this 3-4x weekly model out of PHL should work out somewhat better than from TTN, as atleast pax can fly back on AA if not on F9 if return flight doesn't work out or vice versa. But, it might be still less obvious when F9 is flying the route.

From last year, most of these get restored
CLE-ATL (daily)
PHL-CLT (4x weekly)
PHL-ORD (3x weekly)
TTN-ORD (4x weekly)
IAD-ORD (3x weekly)
PHL-ATL (missing in action, but a bloodbath currently even with F9 bowing out)
TTN-ATL (daily)
TTN-DTW (daily)
TTN-RDU (4x weekly)
TTN-CLT (3x weekly)

Certain routes like PHL-DTW, and PHL-MSP have been added recently by Spirit, and Frontier did not add them back. I'm surprised TTN-MSP wasn't added back.

The DEN hub also is connected well to most of it's stations as well this summer.
CLE-DEN returns, RDU-DEN returns as well, with CLT-DEN, GSO-DEN (4x weekly) and PHL-DEN.

I also see that CLE-IAH is being offered as a nonstop on certain dates. However, Frontier's website also sells a circuitous CLE-DEN-IAH that is showing up making it difficult to see when CLE-IAH actually operates as a nonstop. Frontier's site is even selling a CLE-DEN-CLT, ATL-DEN-DTW which clutters it's site.

There are also some less than dailies out of ATL as well:
ATL-IAH (3x weekly)
ATL-CVG (4x weekly)
ATL-IND (3x weekly)

CLE-LAX is also being sold, at 3 or 4x weekly, along with CLE-SEA at 3 or 4x weekly.

I suspect F9 will rely alot on third party sites to expand visibility for these less than daily offerings, but I suppose most already check kayak to see what's the lowest price offered.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jan 6, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:55 pm

There is an interesting change at UST - St. Augustine.

Instead of TTN-UST, they're showing PHL-UST 4 x weekly and ORD-UST 3 x weekly.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 1:06 am
Original Poster

It should be interesting how AA will fare match F9 with so many markets out of PHL and less than daily. It will certainly be keeping AA on it's toes, also with the NK markets on it's plate. However, I wonder if a route like PHL-MCI at 3x weekly for half of the year will gain enough buzz. Certainly there might be people who were going between these markets on leisure (maybe visiting family), but Philly or Kansas City isn't all that destinational. Also given that it's over 600 miles, it will have to compete against connection flights such as DL selling a connection through JFK, ATL, DTW or UA or WN selling one through Chicago.

One route that I'd love to see Spirit or Frontier take on is PHX-LAS. For such a short route, Southwest charges near $100 fares for their lowest advance purchase. I'd guess Spirit or Frontier could offer below $50 fares as a baseline.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jan 7, 2016 at 1:37 am
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist -> AA Executive Platinum, BAEC Gold, Spirit Lifetime Somebody
Other notable additions include ATL-SFO (a market Southwest abandoned last year) and ATL-IAH.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 5:47 am

MKE-DFW is in the new schedule as well -- wish I had time to dig further!
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:23 am

PHL-IAH is back, didn't confirm the weekly frequencies
Added:
PHL-RDU
PHL-MCI

Looks like PHL-RSW is suspended after April
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
All the new routes here:

PDX gains 3 new routes to CLE, PHX, ORD

http://m.digitaljournal.com/pr/2794638
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by davywavy
There is an interesting change at UST - St. Augustine.

Instead of TTN-UST, they're showing PHL-UST 4 x weekly and ORD-UST 3 x weekly.
Yup, sure is. Awesome news!! I hoped that routes will be good. Didn't they tried UST-IAD? I am pretty sure my friends will be very happy.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yup, sure is. Awesome news!! I hoped that routes will be good. Didn't they tried UST-IAD? I am pretty sure my friends will be very happy.
They did try UST-IAD. I think PHL and ORD will do better, because atleast in the local markets, people use PHL and ORD for Florida, where in Washington DC there is an aversion to use IAD for short flights.

Kayak might be help bring exposure to UST fares when users select the "Include nearby" checkbox when searching for ORD-JAX/DAB and PHL-JAX/DAB.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they still have PHX-ORD? Do you think I can connecting the flight to St Augustine?
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's official!!

Here's the press release from Frontier:

http://www.flyfrontier.com/news/posts/2016/january/frontier-airlines-adds-42-new-routes-throughout-united-states/
Old Jan 7, 2016, 12:09 pm

Three new nonstops from MKE:

http://www.biztimes.com/2016/01/07/f...rom-milwaukee/

The Dallas and Philadelphia flights will operate on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays while the Atlanta flights will take place Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The Dallas routes will start April 14, Atlanta starts on April 15 and Philadelphia starts June 2.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Gutsy move taking on what's left of UA at CLE and even NK on the LAX and ATL routes.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Looks like ATL did well. ^^ Frontier seems fine with going against DL or WN but seems more skittish about NK with only a few overlaps.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RustyC
Looks like ATL did well. ^^ Frontier seems fine with going against DL or WN but seems more skittish about NK with only a few overlaps.
Well, F9 didn't keep ATL-IAD or ATL-MCO.

I was looking at ATL-MCO on NK next week. NK flies the route 2x daily and the fares were $34.10 for both flights on Tuesday. One can save $17.99 buying at a Spirit counter also, so that fare can even be cheaper.

In general, NK on the route is s a good cheap option, especially for those going for day trips or one night trips and not needing to pay for bags or seat selection. Southwest's fares were $164 ,but Southwest has a high frequency service targeting business passengers possibly. So, it's one route that WN is not fare matching NK. F9 served the route but chose to not keep it.

Personally, I chose to rent a one-way car and a SUV from Alamo will be under $60. The early AM flight on Spirit is too early. I would need to stay at an airport hotel and use a shuttle that would drop me in ATL by 5am or so. Since I need to carry a suitcase, it would be cost on NK, I figured the drive might be more relaxing. I need to stay in a hotel anyways, so I'll stay half way in Valdosta. Plus, I didn't want to deal with the security and airport process, having gone through a huge one last time in ATL. NK and F9 still lack TSA PreCheck which would be really useful at airports like ATL.

Anyways, with the drive being somewhat ok and Spirit already covering the route and maybe just marginally turning a profit, I see why F9 forgo the route.

However, it's a missing network link that F9 won't have an ATL-DC flight, atleast for it's ATL pax. I'd think F9 could challenge WN on ATL-IAD but maybe it feels differently. IAD isn't all that of a preferred airport for in perimeter flights which is another challenge.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jan 9, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.