Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CDC looking for Frontier Passengers flt 1143

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:37 pm

Thanks Carolian. It has been a few years since I posted here. I was just going to ask where else 1143 went after it landed at 530 in DFW, and you answered my question. Many thanks. You FT folks are so smart. I bet the 5 routes will be on news by day end.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Carolinian
The plane utilized by Frontier to transport the Ebola passenger was utilitized for FIVE additional flights that same day ; a return trip to Cleveland from Dallas then flights to Florida and Atlanta. At the end of the day, Frontier says the plane was "CLEANED using NORMAL procedures". Wow. So likely, five more passengers got to sit in an Ebola INFECTED seat. And the plane was cleaned , "normally" ? Like vacuumed ? No bleach on that seat ? No doubt the cleaning crew forgot their "normal" hazmat gear ?
No. Likely, five more passengers got to sit in a seat without Ebola infection. The nurse in question was not symptomatic during her flight, and I mean more symptomatic than the possibility that she might have had a slightly elevated temperature. There hasn't been a single recorded infection from passengers flying on a plane. Not one. Not even from Patrick Sawyer, who flew while symptomatic and vomited on the flight. There is more than enough to worry about Ebola than to worry about whether this seat got cleaned.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Carolinian
The plane utilized by Frontier to transport the Ebola passenger was utilitized for FIVE additional flights that same day ; a return trip to Cleveland from Dallas then flights to Florida and Atlanta. At the end of the day, Frontier says the plane was "CLEANED using NORMAL procedures". Wow. So likely, five more passengers got to sit in an Ebola INFECTED seat. And the plane was cleaned , "normally" ? Like vacuumed ? No bleach on that seat ? No doubt the cleaning crew forgot their "normal" hazmat gear ?
Was not aware that she was having diarrhea on the seat and that 5 other people happily sat in some diarrhea and vomit and blood with their bare skin.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
they talked about Emory being the only hospital that could handle the biohazard level (4?) that Ebola is.
There are four bio-containment units around the country. The U.S. Army facility in Maryland, Emory Hospital in Atlanta, Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha, Nebraska, and St. Patrick’s Hospital in Missoula, Montana.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hot topics can have a tendency to generate heat. Please remember to keep political opinion out of the discussions on an airline forum.

(More untrammeled political discussion can be engaged into in the OMNI/PR forum, assuming you meet the longevity and post requirements for admission.)

Thank you,

JDiver
Senior Moderator
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Since the CDC said the 2nd patient flew with a slight temperature is it possible she could have perspired some, touched airline seats and someone touched the same spot with a cut on their hand. You could see where this could go.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by elkhornne
Since the CDC said the 2nd patient flew with a slight temperature is it possible she could have perspired some, touched airline seats and someone touched the same spot with a cut on their hand. You could see where this could go.
Almost anything is possible. However, while virus has been identified in perspiration, it doesn't seem to be the significant risk that other bodily fluids are. Sweat dries quickly, and Ebola doesn't like dry. Also, people with fevers often don't sweat. I know I don't. That is one of the mechanisms which helps the fever develop. I only sweat when the fever breaks.

I still keep coming back to the Patrick Sawyer case because it is a case where we know someone flew while much more symtomatic than the current case and yet there were no secondary infections from that flight.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:28 pm

My mind is blown from how potentially poorly this situation was handled.

If the report is true where Thomas Eric Duncan sat exposing patients within the hospital. How do we know if these two infected hospital workers didn't get it from other patients rather than Duncan? Arg....
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:33 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
TX

Originally Posted by pduck01
Hopefully many countries will now do the right thing and ban Americans from traveling there.
And since half my fellow citizens in TX don't even have health insurance let alone a regular doctor, and Ebola is here, I am sure the EU is going to ban anyone coming here soon. Wouldn't blame 'em....
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I think that when I board flights to go on vacation at the end of Oct. I'll put on some latex gloves. You never know where your aircraft has been or who has been on it. I'm also going to take alcohol wipes and sanitize my seat armrests and tray table. I'll keep the gloves on the whole time in case I get up to go to the lav. Don't want to touch anything on a plane an infected person might have touched.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by susiesan
I think that when I board flights to go on vacation at the end of Oct. I'll put on some latex gloves. You never know where your aircraft has been or who has been on it. I'm also going to take alcohol wipes and sanitize my seat armrests and tray table. I'll keep the gloves on the whole time in case I get up to go to the lav. Don't want to touch anything on a plane an infected person might have touched.
Better just stay home if you are that concerned. The likelihood of infection on a plane is nil. However, if it were not, wearing latex gloves would do nothing to protect you.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by pduck01
Hopefully many countries will now do the right thing and ban Americans from traveling there.
Out of an abundance of caution, hopefully the rest if the US will now do the right thing and ban everyone traveling from Dallas.

Originally Posted by BearX220
Nancy Snyderman syndrome. "But I'm talent."
LOL. But but but "quarantine" should not mean the talent has to give up cravings for trendy designer soup. That sounds like a hardship.

Sadly, until an airline pax contracts Ebola by sitting in the same seat the Ebola patient sat in last segment, we will not find out just how easily/not easy it can be spread via a common seat. Going to suck to be the first pax who demonstrates this to the rest of the world by catching Ebola.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:52 pm

What boggles me why were these people not under precautionary quarentine for 21 days before they were able to get on an aircraft for Crying out loud!
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
Better just stay home if you are that concerned. The likelihood of infection on a plane is nil.
What if the infected blew her nose - a big old nose blow, lots out output - and the kleenex falls out of her pocket and gets stuffed in the the side of her seat? And then a 2-year-old the next morning find the tissue and chews on it for 30 seconds before mom notices?

So many assurances have been empty, so many nodes have failed that "the likelihood of infection on a plane is nil" doesn't mean much to me. I would have thought that the chances of a nurse who had treated an ebola getting on a plane was nil. Little did I know!

Here is the itinerary of that aircraft Wednesday after the ebola patient flew Tuesday night. Out of an abundance of caution wouldn't you want to know if you shared her seat 12 hours later?

Tuesday, Oct. 14
Tail # N220FR

F92042 DFW-CLE 0811-1114
F91104 CLE-FLL 1224-1500
F91105 FLL-CLE 1602-1816
F91101 CLE-ATL 1924-2103
F91100 ATL-CLE 2212-2319
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by flavorflav
What if the infected blew her nose - a big old nose blow, lots out output - and the kleenex falls out of her pocket and gets stuffed in the the side of her seat? And then a 2-year-old the next morning find the tissue and chews on it for 30 seconds before mom notices?

So many assurances have been empty, so many nodes have failed that "the likelihood of infection on a plane is nil" doesn't mean much to me. I would have thought that the chances of a nurse who had treated an ebola getting on a plane was nil. Little did I know!

Here is the itinerary of that aircraft Wednesday after the ebola patient flew Tuesday night. Out of an abundance of caution wouldn't you want to know if you shared her seat 12 hours later?

Tuesday, Oct. 14
Tail # N220FR

F92042 DFW-CLE 0811-1114
F91104 CLE-FLL 1224-1500
F91105 FLL-CLE 1602-1816
F91101 CLE-ATL 1924-2103
F91100 ATL-CLE 2212-2319
Mom would be totally grossed out and the 2 year old would most likely been fine.

I would have thought that the nurse that cared for "an Ebola" has a incredibly high risk of infection.

Just like a nurse that is caring for a flu patient.

Fyi, coughing and sneezing are usually not associated with Ebola.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.