Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier seat map changes - signs of what they will do to plane layouts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Frontier has changed their seat maps slightly on the website, with the change occurring around January 10, 2015. The change seems to be preparing for some plane layout changes. What I noticed:

Stretch stops at row 3, is not at row 4
The reclining exit row is now row 13 instead of row 12
The final row is one number higher (row 26 instead of 25 on the A319, 29 instead of 28 on the A320)

Based on this, I’m going to guess that two additional rows will be added to the A319 and A320, one ahead of and one behind the emergency exits. They are cutting stretch by a row to get the last several inches needed to add another row without losing window seats at the exit row (like the Southwest 737s). I’m also guessing 2-3” of legroom will be removed each row, although I’m assuming they are adding slimline seats to help soften the legroom blow.

The good news – it appears that you can get stretch seating for the Select price if you are in an aircraft with the old config and select row 4 if that is listed as Select for your flight, although that gamble will become a larger and larger risk over the next 6-8 months.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Silver, Delta Silver, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
Southwest and Delta, here I come

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Frontier has changed their seat maps slightly on the website, with the change occurring around January 10, 2015. The change seems to be preparing for some plane layout changes. What I noticed:

The final row is one number higher (row 26 instead of 25 on the A319, 29 instead of 28 on the A320)

Based on this, I’m going to guess that two additional rows will be added to the A319 and A320, one ahead of and one behind the emergency exits. They are cutting stretch by a row to get the last several inches needed to add another row without losing window seats at the exit row (like the Southwest 737s). I’m also guessing 2-3” of legroom will be removed each row, although I’m assuming they are adding slimline seats to help soften the legroom blow.

The good news – it appears that you can get stretch seating for the Select price if you are in an aircraft with the old config and select row 4 if that is listed as Select for your flight, although that gamble will become a larger and larger risk over the next 6-8 months.
All of these changes have driven this 26 segments in 2014 Summit member to check out other airlines. Have six segments on Delta so far and am impressed. The only drawback - and it is big - is having to connect if you're flying out of Denver.

The other surprise has been Southwest. I am feeling the LUV! Flight crews and gate agents seem to actually like their jobs. Lots of great non-stop options out of Denver with FREQUENCY. Had four segments on them last month and six more over the next four weeks. Signed up for their elite Tier Challenge and will make A+ easily. Plus they support PreCheck, which Frontier does not. Pre-Check is awesome and you are really missing out on a great business traveller benefit by flying Frontier. Between Delta and Southwest, I don't see myself on many F9 birds in the future.

FYI - Have you ever read the Facebook/Frontier Airlines posts by their customers? Wow, it is an eye opener how much they are hated. Never felt all the venom myself, but take a look
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by lowfareair

No additional row is being added just renumbered rows go 1-9 then 13-26 rather than 1-9 then 12-25 on the A319.

Last edited by Jerseyguy; Oct 1, 2014 at 8:17 pm
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA
Yeah, I thought my math was wrong after reading this thread. There are no additional rows -- still 23 on the A319.

So they're removing a row of Stretch seating, okay, but where's that extra seat pitch going if no new rows? Or are they just not making the new rows bookable yet?
Old Oct 1, 2014, 8:16 pm

What's the logic of removing a row they can charge a premium for if not adding more rows?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
No additional row is being added just renumbered rows go 1-9 then 13-26 rather than 1-9 then 12-25 on the A319.
It hasn't been added yet, hence why I ended the thread title with "...signs of what they will do to plane layouts" and said "Based on this, I’m going to guess that two additional rows will be added to the A319 and A320."

The renumbering is preparing for adding an additional 2 rows to the plane.

Edited to add that the A319 matches the row numbers of the A320, which is why the current layout is missing rows 10 and 11 and the new one missing 10-12. The A320 has their 'good' exit row at row 12 now so they skip some rows on the A319 so that the exit row is the same number across all aircraft. Once the extra rows are added row 12 will show up in the A320 seat maps and row 10 will show up in the A319 seat map.

Last edited by lowfareair; Oct 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.