Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Frontier Reward Redemption Fee

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond. National Biz Exec. AMX Plat. CSR. Bonvoy Brilliant. Delta Reserve.
Thumbs down New Frontier Reward Redemption Fee

Just got this in the email....

You’re a valued Frontier Airlines EarlyReturns® member so we want to update you about upcoming changes to the program.

In August, we announced a new award redemption fee. This fee will go into effect for all flights booked on or after October 31, 2014. Check the chart below for details.

Want to avoid the fee? There are several easy ways. Award redemption fees will be waived if you:

--Apply and are approved for the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, and use the card to pay the taxes/fees applicable to your flight award.
--Qualify for Ascent or Summit status in 2014.
--Achieve Frontier Elite status for 2015.
--Book your flight(s) 180 or more days prior to your date of travel.

We’re proud to offer great travel values and thank you for your continued loyalty to Frontier Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a flight soon.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 6:41 pm
btr

Programs: IHG, MP, Enterprise+
Originally Posted by pugsley21
We’re proud to offer great travel values and thank you for your continued loyalty to Frontier Airlines. We look forward to welcoming you onboard a flight soon.
The likelihood of them welcoming me onboard a flight decreases every time they offer another "great travel value".
Old Sep 19, 2014, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Want to avoid the fee?

--Apply and are approved for the Frontier Airlines World MasterCard, and use the card to pay the taxes/fees applicable to your flight award.
--Qualify for Ascent or Summit status in 2014.
--Achieve Frontier Elite status for 2015.
--Book your flight(s) 180 or more days prior to your date of travel.
I fail to see the problem.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by nobodyherebutme
I fail to see the problem.
Welcome to FT!

This is indeed a tiny step back from the brink in the race to the bottom for F9. Nice to know that as an Ascent I won't be charged a fee as I burn my miles on the way out the door.

Given that they have to pay for the new livery somehow, I'm waiting for another shoe to drop.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 5:28 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Frontier is simply emulating their role model - Spirit Airlines.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Frontier is simply emulating their role model - Spirit Airlines.
United charges a fee for mile redemption within a certain date as well.
Booking a MileagePlus award ticket through any channel, less than 21 days before departure: $75.

Delta doesn't, but it charges a mile redeposit and change fee of $150, in case you find out you can't make that flight. That's over twice of Frontier. Plus to redeem Delta miles means transferring in DTW or ATL, which sucks for most markets in the east coast that are not those markets. I've had difficulty redeeming those points and sometimes requires a full day trip with 3 hr. layover in DTW to a place to Chicago just to use the 25k points.

Southwest has no redemption or change fees, but the last minute purchase flights say from it's markets to MCO and MDW are expensive. It depends on the market though and if Southwest chooses to be competitive in the market. In BOS it choose to be competitive to steal pax from JetBlue. It's probably best to use Southwest or another carrier along with Frontier if one wants sometimes low fares.

Obviously, the move by Frontier move encourages the credit card but also encourages those to book in advance. Say a $100 ticket from Trenton to Florida. If the flight is two weeks away, F9 would rather pax pay for ticket than redeem points on it.

I've seen $40 tickets where point redemption is 20,000 points. I'm not sure the threshold that Frontier does that practice - maybe it's tickets under $75. It's another measure to discourage mile redemption for certain flights but encourage purchase.

Last edited by rtalk25; Sep 20, 2014 at 7:27 am
Old Sep 20, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by rtalk25

Delta doesn't, but it charges a mile redeposit and change fee of $150, in case you find out you can't make that flight. That's over twice of Frontier. Plus to redeem Delta miles means transferring in DTW or ATL, which sucks for most markets in the east coast that are not those markets.
Delta's award availability is poor, the award search is maddening, and there is a fee (waived for Platinum and Diamond) for changing or redepositing awards.

Your remarks about routing through Detroit and Atlanta are uninformed, however. DL has about 2500 flights a day that neither end nor start in DTW or ATL.

US charges a fee for any award redemption, no matter how far in advance, and even if done online w/o an agent. Like fees for services, the future of FF programs is redemption with more points/miles and more fees.
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Your remarks about routing through Detroit and Atlanta are uninformed, however. DL has about 2500 flights a day that neither end nor start in DTW or ATL.
True, but not very ideal for most in the Atlantic except if flying truly out west. I've seen ORD-MSP-PHL routing just use to use 25k points which Delta often leaves as the only way to redeem points at the lowest level rather than a more suitable ORD-DTW-PHL. That ensures the pax wastes an entire day flying something that should be 2 hrs.

They make even redeeming points into LGA one of it's east coast hubs very difficult as well. Because LGA is a business market and it doesn't want to have seats I suppose for leisure travel.

Frontier isn't going to please everyone with it's FF reward program the same way Delta can't please everyone with it's FF rewards program.

Last edited by rtalk25; Sep 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.