Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Frontier Airlines | Frontier Miles Program
Reload this Page >

Frontier to charge for storing luggage in overhead bin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 1M

I just flew Spirit recently and was thinking of whether Spirit could do such a thing and lo and behold Frontier does it:

Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Frontier outdoes Spirt: To charge for storing luggage in overhead bin

Spirit does charge for carry-ons just like Frontier.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Yeah, but does not specify that anything in storage bin should be charged.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You boned this. Man-up and offer a corrected title.

From the Spirit's 'optional services' page:

We allow one free personal item per passenger on every flight (e.g. purse, small backpack, etc.), and we charge for carry-ons and checked bags.

Personal item: (e.g. purse, small backpack, etc.) dimensions must not exceed 16 x 14 x 12 inches (40 x 35 x 30 cm) including handles and wheels.

From Frontier's baggage allowance page:

Carry-On Baggage Allowances
Everyone, regardless of your Fare Option, is allowed to carry on one personal item for free.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Spirit charges for storing something in the overhead bin?
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Spirit charges for storing something in the overhead bin?
Yep:

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

It is actually cheaper to pay for (one) checked bag - which is part of the point of the exercise.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davywavy
Yep:

http://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices

It is actually cheaper to pay for (one) checked bag - which is part of the point of the exercise.
Ok, I see the point. Reading the article, I was under the impression that even if you keep the one free personal item in the overhead bin, there would be a charge.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Frontier outdoes Spirt: To charge for storing luggage in overhead bin

That is what Spirit policy is, your allowed 1 personal item that should fit underneath the seat infront of you. Perhaps the FAs only enforce it if it becomes a problem but on Spirit they can require you store it at your feet
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA (ExPlat).DL,UA Hertz (Pres Circle); Avis (First), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Jerseyguy
Actually, Spirit charges more.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:57 pm

Ok, I see the point. Reading the article, I was under the impression that even if you keep the one free personal item in the overhead bin, there would be a charge.
A couple of things. By far the largest number of complaints, by a very wide margin, that Frontier used to have were about the boarding process - people trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink onboard, to try and avoid the checked baggage fees.

So they introduced sizing - which led to an extraordinary number of complaints about "the Sizing Witch".

There also had a fare bracket - "Basic - for third party bookings, online travel websites, and those pax could be charged $100 for carry-ons at the gate. You can imagine the howls of outrage about that, even though it only applied to a very few people.

Now they have eliminated "Basic" and the notorious $100 (last minute ) fee is gone. Spirit still has that fee.

There are now two fare brackets - Economy, which is completely unbundled, and Classic Plus, which is bundled, all the old goodies.

They have also lowered base-line fares (average 12% reduction) but have introduced a charge for carry-ons, in part to try and prevent the problems that boarding used to have. Which is why it is cheaper to check a bag.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Which is why it is cheaper to check a bag.
I noticed that as well with Spirit. Getting overhead space is now easier than with the majors.

Last edited by UA Fan; Apr 28, 2014 at 3:28 pm
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:27 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I noticed that as well with Spirit. Can getting overhead space is easier than with the majors.
Don't worry... majors would introduce similar policies soon
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TPJ
Don't worry... majors would introduce similar policies soon
The spin will be like this: "Considering the many complaints we have received regarding the lack of overhead space and long time to board, we have decided to charge for the second carryon."
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
It's so sad that this is the fate of Midwest Express Airlines!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:01 pm

A couple of things. By far the largest number of complaints, by a very wide margin, that Frontier used to have were about the boarding process - people trying to bring everything but the kitchen sink onboard, to try and avoid the checked baggage fees.

It will also help the TSA process in some of the exclusive Frontier airports. I flew out of ILG and boarded the plane. The FAs were conversing saying "this flight is full, but where is everyone?" It felt like they wanted to close the door. Then another gate personel said about 30 pax are still going thru security. Those carry on bags have to go through security with the pax.

Although in my case, my backpack was pulled and needed to be re-screened twice, and then TSA personnel then used a wand inside and out of it, all for some unknown reason (maybe a pen), and it caused a delay for the people behind me.

Last edited by rtalk25; Apr 28, 2014 at 4:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.