Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Normandy Tours?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
Mike, I did the tour through the Caen Memorial about 20 months ago. It was from 8-1:30 or so. It was on a small van (though they had 2 small vans). The tour guide was extremely informative. We started out at the Sword beach and worked our way down to Omaha/Utah Beaches. We made a stop at the American Military Cemetery. We actually got to walk on Omaha Beach. If I remember correctly, I paid 90 euros or so. My only suggestion is bring along a small snack and drink unless you don't mind waiting until the tour is over. We at in the cafeteria afterwards but some of the group wished they had brought a snack during our tour.

I took the train from Paris to Caen and stayed at a 3-star hotel near the center of town. I got in early enough to walk around the town and the citidel. The next day was my tour with the memorial. I left the following day, returning to Paris (this time to CDG). There is an easy tram that goes through the town of Caen and is easily accessible at the train station. However, I took a bus to the memorial. I bought a 2-day pass for a few Euros that allowed unlimited access to buses/trams.
Thanks for the info; I opted instead for the "Overlord" half-day tour. Me, I'd rather go for the full package, but the half-day will be easier on my wife's feet, and allows us to do an easy day-trip from Paris. I'm sure it will leave me wanting for MORE! Regarding the Caen museum itself, I spent a number of hours there a few years ago, when I was booked for the D-Day beaches tour through them, but my computerized reservation, including email confirmation, wasn't in their system. Not a happy camper, since I'd spent an extra day in France to see the D-Day sights, along with the train fare. They admitted that it was their system that screwed up, but had no way to put us on a tour. Eventually they refunded the money plus the train fare.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Overlord vs. Caen Museum tours?

Has anyone taken both the Overlord and Caen Museum DDay beach tours? I am having difficulty deciding between them. I plan to stay in Normandy for a few days so don't have any day transportation schedule issues.
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.