Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Do taxis in Paris and Nice take credit cards?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

Old Oct 18, 2016, 1:28 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
Taxis in Paris accept credit cards; I assume Nice is the same. Taxis are required to post a sign, visible from outside of the taxi, if for any reason they are unable to accept a card for payment. That´s the rule anyway, the practice may be different.

In a practical sense, I would simply ask before I got into any cab if my only means of payment were by credit card. If you are unsure about communicating, before getting in a taxi, you could simply display your card and the driver should understand you are paying with it.

A friend was recently charged 80€ by a taxi driver on a trip from CDG to the Left Bank. In case you are not yet familiar with recent changes (as he wasn´t), taxi fares from CDG, and from ORY, into Paris are now fixed at 50€/55 and 35€/30€ respectively for the Right/Left Bank.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 11:47 pm

In practice, acceptance of credit cards is hit and miss. Whatever the rules are, I've found about half who either say they don't accept cards, or who say thier machines aren't working.

Good advice to ask first.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 12:00 am

Yes but be warned they try to scam you and charge your cc as a debit transaction, and it will decline, and tel you your card doesn't work when it clearly does, or the reception on their card reader doesn't work. Bring cash or Uber, south of France is very Uber friendly, Paris is also, but lots of scams. Most of the cars are Mercedes vans
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Taxi drivers in Nice are far less customer oriented than in the rest of France, to put it nicely. So while I have never had a credit card issue with G7 taxis in Paris (I now use the app that automatically charges my credit card), I would definitely ask each taxi driver in Nice before boarding the cab.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 5:41 pm

I hated using taxis in Nice (they weren't very friendly and I think a bit of a scam) and ended up relying on Uber, which in Nice had very nice vehicles and drivers.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Use Uber.
Taxi drivers in many places in the world, and prominently in France, have created the market conditions where Uber thrives.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Mostly yes. Just ask before you get in. You're from Ottawa so language should not be a barrier.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
Use Uber.
Taxi drivers in many places in the world, and prominently in France, have created the market conditions where Uber thrives.
I use taxis far more often than I use Uber and I vehemently disagree. What evidence do you offer for such a statement? Most taxi drivers in France are hardworking, independent businessmen who own or lease their own cabs and are only rather loosely affiliated with a dispatch service, predominately Taxi G7.

Specifically, what market conditions have these people created? Only taxis give fixed rate fares from the airports into Paris, and they do it with no surge pricing.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Originally Posted by Tamino
I use taxis far more often than I use Uber and I vehemently disagree. What evidence do you offer for such a statement? Most taxi drivers in France are hardworking, independent businessmen who own or lease their own cabs and are only rather loosely affiliated with a dispatch service, predominately Taxi G7.

Specifically, what market conditions have these people created? Only taxis give fixed rate fares from the airports into Paris, and they do it with no surge pricing.
Happy to hear you have a different experience.
I have taken numerous taxis in France over the years. Unfriendly, trying to rip you off, aggressive driving. Nothing like that since I started using Uber.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:26 am

I find the statement that taxis in France are all fine as silly as ones that say they are all lazy, etc. etc, and that Uber fixed all that. All vast generalizations.

The arrival of Uber did coincide with and, in my view cause, the fixed fares to and from the airports, elimination of baggage fees and using a fixed price for a cab appointment. No more cabs arriving with 15€ on the meter.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 4:58 am

The plans for fixed rate fares from either of the airports into Paris had been going on long before Uber arrived. The stumbling point was the taxi drivers´ insistence that HOV lanes be made available for them if they would agreed to a fixed rate plan. Paris was very late the to airport fixed fare solution. Other European cities have had airport fixed fares for some time, but I believe Uber had little to do with it. Particularly because Uber even now does not have access to easy, close-in airport passenger pickup.

I use all modes of transportation depending upon my specific need. From the airports I use either taxi or train, I wouldn´t even consider using Uber. I typically use Uber late at night, primarily to avoid the taxi dispatch fee of 4€ or any potential approach fee.

However, during the day, Uber drivers do not have legal access to bus lanes and are therefore significantly slower than are taxis which do have bus lane access. If your Uber driver decides to avoid traffic by using the bus lanes, you may want to agree in advance who pays the eventual 135€ fine if you´re caught.

During the day, if I have an appointment or meeting, I only use the métro and I monitor the RATP app for current traffic conditions or operating issues. If I have time, I like to use the bus or taxi but traffic issues, particularly during inclement weather, can cause significant unforeseen delays.

Uber has certainly had an impact in Paris; Taxi G7 has responded with its own app and easy credit card payment option. While they charge both about the same, an interesting blog dated last year found that Uber is typically a bit more expensive than are taxis, a result most likely caused by Uber´s surge pricing.

There has always been a fee structure for reserving a taxi. The difference now is that a taxi reservation will cost 7€ vs the old 5€ fee that was only imposed at busy pickup periods. I haven´t found evidence in the new fee structures that approach fees have been universally eliminated. They have been for fixed price fares but I am not clear on their applicability when calling for pickup. Hopefully they have been eliminated.

I consider the best approach for transportation solutions in Paris to be one of knowing the alternatives and matching the need with a choice of options.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Tamino
The plans for fixed rate fares from either of the airports into Paris had been going on long before Uber arrived. The stumbling point was the taxi drivers´ insistence that HOV lanes be made available for them if they would agreed to a fixed rate plan. Paris was very late the to airport fixed fare solution. Other European cities have had airport fixed fares for some time, but I believe Uber had little to do with it. Particularly because Uber even now does not have access to easy, close-in airport passenger pickup.

I use all modes of transportation depending upon my specific need. From the airports I use either taxi or train, I wouldn´t even consider using Uber. I typically use Uber late at night, primarily to avoid the taxi dispatch fee of 4€ or any potential approach fee.

However, during the day, Uber drivers do not have legal access to bus lanes and are therefore significantly slower than are taxis which do have bus lane access. If your Uber driver decides to avoid traffic by using the bus lanes, you may want to agree in advance who pays the eventual 135€ fine if you´re caught.

During the day, if I have an appointment or meeting, I only use the métro and I monitor the RATP app for current traffic conditions or operating issues. If I have time, I like to use the bus or taxi but traffic issues, particularly during inclement weather, can cause significant unforeseen delays.

Uber has certainly had an impact in Paris; Taxi G7 has responded with its own app and easy credit card payment option. While they charge both about the same, an interesting blog dated last year found that Uber is typically a bit more expensive than are taxis, a result most likely caused by Uber´s surge pricing.

There has always been a fee structure for reserving a taxi. The difference now is that a taxi reservation will cost 7€ vs the old 5€ fee that was only imposed at busy pickup periods. I haven´t found evidence in the new fee structures that approach fees have been universally eliminated. They have been for fixed price fares but I am not clear on their applicability when calling for pickup. Hopefully they have been eliminated.

I consider the best approach for transportation solutions in Paris to be one of knowing the alternatives and matching the need with a choice of options.
There are no more "approach fees", at least with G7. If you call for a taxi for immediate pick-up, the fee is 4€. If you reserve one for a later time, it is 7€. Either way, that's the only fee and the flag doesn't drop until you're in the cab.

You're correct-the advance reservation fee used to be 5€, but the cabbie threw the flag when he took the reservation and the meter ran while he/she drove to the pick-up location and also while the cab waited. When cabs arrived for me, 10€ on the meter was not unusual, and I saw 15€ once (and these amounts were in addition to the 5€ which was paid when the reservation was made). I also several times saw cabs sitting parked with the meter running, I assume waiting to go pick up a fare.

Maybe Uber did not impact the fixed airport fares, as you say. But all these customer-friendly changes happened in Paris (and elsewhere) right about when Uber showed up. Coincidence? I think not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.