Wiki Posts
Search

Paris in March, hotel advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K

Hoping this is the right forum.....if not please either move or let me know where
Traveling to Paris March 4-5 nights mid March
Have travelled lots in UK..... Italy and carribean South America, not much in Europe. Have looked a fair bit but honestly find Paris and its hotels overwhelming. Ideally want to walk to main areas (I assume are in 1st district) museums et al. Looking for clean quiet roomy if possible but not mandatory. Clean value more than cost. Not too worried about cost. Ideally less than €200/night. Breakfast and food not a requirement at all.....
If anyone has a consistently good favourite please let me know. If it's way too open a question I apologize in advance. Doesn't have to be touristy - boutique over big chain is fine !!
Many thanks
ACS and Mrs. ACS
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suggest you go to the nearest bookstore and get a good guidebook. Paris offers nearly limitless possibilities, and you really owe it to yourself to get an orderly and comprehensive overview of them. You won't get that here.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Hi aircrashsurvivor.

Moderator action: I think you might get more input over in the Europe travel forum. I'm going to move this thread over there.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold

I like Hotel Atmosphere walking to Notre Dane and they have single rooms. I've stayed there twice in the past two years (review on my website - same as user name). I like the location and its served by a few metro lines - Sorbonne is nearby.

I've stayed in other hotels too and usually look at Hotel Tonight to learn more about small boutique properties to research.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
The 1st arrondissement can be sterile. It would not really be my first choice but it is a good choice. Consider some of the hotels on the Left Bank along rue Jacob in the 6th. It´s a charming area, relatively quiet yet remains very close to many of the city´s most popular destinations.

Hotel des 2 Continents
Hotel d´Angelterre
Hotel des Marronniers
Millesime Hotel
Hotel Danube
Hotel Saint Germain
Old Jan 23, 2016, 11:04 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
personally I'd look at the 3rd or 4th, a very interesting area that wasn't demolished by Haussmann and is very central. Just north of the river is far more interesting and authentic than south of the river, imho.

On the other hand, the metro system is arguably the best in the world, so find a hotel that you like, make sure it's not too far from a metro station and just go for it. You likely won't be more than fifteen minutes from wherever you want to be. Paris is compact and efficient.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 4:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
I had relatives stay recently at the Hotel Caron in the 4th. It was very nice, and amazing location.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Paris arrondissements are small. Indeed, the whole city intra muros ("within the walls", though the walls were demolished in the late 19th century and replaced in the early sixties by the périphérique ring road) is small enough that a vigorous walker can cross it in a couple of hours.

Nevertheless, and despite the excellent metro system, the inner arrondissements usually have more to offer the visitor than the outer ones. The arrondissements start with number 1 in the center and spiral clockwise from there.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
personally I'd look at the 3rd or 4th, a very interesting area that wasn't demolished by Haussmann and is very central. Just north of the river is far more interesting and authentic than south of the river, imho.

On the other hand, the metro system is arguably the best in the world, so find a hotel that you like, make sure it's not too far from a metro station and just go for it. You likely won't be more than fifteen minutes from wherever you want to be. Paris is compact and efficient.
I second the advice to look outside the 1st. The Metro is incredibly easy, convenient, and affordable. And if you stay in any of the arrondissements surrounding the 1st, you can still walk to quite a few of the tourist sites.
Old Jan 24, 2016, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Hotel La Manufacture is one of my favorites. "European sized" rooms, but close to transit, and incredibly nice staff.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Thank you all

Thank you all for the advice. Lots to digest. From getting the book to reviewing the suggestions. Seems like the left bank maybe the place to narrow in on
Many thanks
Old Jan 25, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Thank you all for the advice. Lots to digest. From getting the book to reviewing the suggestions. Seems like the left bank maybe the place to narrow in on
Many thanks
Keep us posted on your decision. And particularly let us know of any finds you make with restaurants or other secrets you come across. Sorry I couldn't advise on hotels, but if you decide an apartment is an option PM me and I'll let you know about the great guys who have looked after me for the last few years.

One area maybe to avoid on the left bank is around Invalides. I have friends who stayed in a beautiful little hotel there, but the area was desolate. And wherever you choose, the rooms might be tiny (ref Doc Savage's post). Gorgeous and charming, but tiny
Old Feb 22, 2016, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Way too much choice here but....

Going to give the hotel Madison in the 6th a go. Lots of similar all,with in short distances. Seems reasonable and basically it seems it's pick your price point for most. At €175 seems reasonable for a few nights. Close to metro. Walking distance to many places to eat for breakfast. Hard to go wrong I think ..... Reviews seem consistent. Small rooms - pleasant staff - close to stuff (sounds like 200 other hotels in the area
I'll,let you know
Haven't booked yet but will soon
PS if anyone is traveling on BA I'm going to be able to guest 2 into the CCR both ends of the trip. Will be up in the BA wiki soon or PM for dates.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Looks like a fantastic location. I don't know the hotel but it seems reasonable.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
Going to give the hotel Madison in the 6th a go. Lots of similar all,with in short distances. Seems reasonable and basically it seems it's pick your price point for most. At €175 seems reasonable for a few nights. Close to metro. Walking distance to many places to eat for breakfast. Hard to go wrong I think ..... Reviews seem consistent. Small rooms - pleasant staff - close to stuff (sounds like 200 other hotels in the area
I'll,let you know
Haven't booked yet but will soon
PS if anyone is traveling on BA I'm going to be able to guest 2 into the CCR both ends of the trip. Will be up in the BA wiki soon or PM for dates.
I know the hotel, if you don't have any expectations then you'll like it. The location is great, right smack on Bllvd St Germain. You can't beat the location.

Make sure you get an inside room. The blvd can get very noisy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.