Wiki Posts
Search

Caen to CDG

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Caen to CDG

I'm planning on a few days in Normandy, using Caen as my base. I then plan to fly from CDG to CPH.

When looking at train timetables (on SNCF.com), it gives me some pretty wacky connections to get to CDG. I'm wondering, is it easier if I just take one of the many trains from Caen to St. Lazare and walk over to Opera, where I can pick up the Roissy bus?

I've used Roissy bus on prior trips and am comfortable with that process. I kind of like the idea of multiple frequencies with the bus and train versus a more obscure connection somewhere else in France that the website is suggesting. Or is this a bad idea?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Your idea is not bad, but it all depends at what time you plan to take the Roissybus. I'm saying that because of heavy traffic on A1 expressway to reach CDG from 5 pm.
Alternatively, take the train to St Lazare, then RER E to Magenta (connected to Gare du nord) where you take RER B to CDG.
A last solution : rent a car !
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
I´m not sure exactly what connections you might have been offered but it´s a long walk from St Lazare to Opéra, particularly with luggage. It is possible to do however.

Consider from St Lazare, taking the RER E to Magenta, connecting (via a short walk to Gare du Nord) to the RER B to CDG. It should take about 40 minutes, cost is 10€.

The Roissybus is slower and costs 11€.

When boarding the RER B at Gare du Nord, be careful and confirm the trains destination as there are northbound trains that do not go to CDG. The stations served by each train are clearly indicated at departure platform.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
To minimise changes and walking, I think about your only pure-train option is Caen to Le Mans, then TGV to CDG. There are several options a day, pricing doesn't look too bad (I'm seeing about €40 one-way for next week, should be less further in advance). Looks to be about 4 hours door-to-door

Otherwise, as others have said, your best bet is probably to take a Corail service from Caen to Paris St Lazare (€25-€30 for a ticket for next week), RER to Magenta, walk between the bits of the station, then RER Gare du Nord to CDG.

If you know Paris and/or are confident in cities with public transport, do the latter. Especially if you want to stop off along the way and see some of the city. For an easy life, I'd suggest going via Le Mans
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: Many
I do not know when you plan to come but bear in mind that COP21 in Le Bourget will very likely cause additional traffic jam on the A1 between Paris and CDG.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by bodory
I do not know when you plan to come but bear in mind that COP21 in Le Bourget will very likely cause additional traffic jam on the A1 between Paris and CDG.
Oh please do not remind me this madness on the road I take every day to work
Old Nov 13, 2015, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice. I've decided to change it around a bit so I'm not transiting from Caen to CDG. Instead, I'll do the Caen days first then come back to Paris and just head out to CDG at the end of the visit.
Old Nov 13, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
When I was in France a few years ago, I took the train from Paris to Caen, spent a few days (seeing the WWII memorial sites) and took the train directly back to CDG (where I flew to FCO). Do they not offer the direct train to CDG anymore? It was very convenient.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would plan to use the RER from Paris to CDG, but I'd look at a subway map and try to avoid the Gare du Nord connection if possible, even if this is probably the shortest/quickest route.

@OskiBear: You seem to be in Paris now. Pleas reassure us that you're OK.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would plan to use the RER from Paris to CDG, but I'd look at a subway map and try to avoid the Gare du Nord connection if possible, even if this is probably the shortest/quickest route.

@OskiBear: You seem to be in Paris now. Pleas reassure us that you're OK.
Still at home. Trip is in a few months. Thanks much for the concern!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.