Search

Where in Paris? [Lodging]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Where in Paris? [Lodging]

Hello all

I would like to take my wife to Paris for her 50th birthday (in September)

Can anyone suggest a good hotel location in town that would be a good place to be a base for sightseeing and getting around?

I am not familiar with the various districts, so any advice is greatfully appreciated

Many thanks

Steve
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:43 pm

Hotel Kensington Paris

Just to get you started, I can recommend the Hotel Kensington in the Rue Cler area favored by Rick Steves, which is in a good neighborhood and within easy walking distance of the Eiffel Tower. Search under Hotel Kensington Paris to make sure you get the right city. Easy Metro access at Ecole Militaire, plus not far from Bus Route 69 which takes you through the heart of the city to locations such as the Pere LaChaise Cemetery if that should be of interest.

This is a small neighborhood hotel with a tiny elevator and smaller, typical European rooms, but with good ambience. Unless you want something fancier, take a look at this property.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:44 pm
In memoriam

Just back from Paris where I lived many years ago.

IMHO, doesn't much matter. Paris contains multitudes but is quite small--around five miles wide and long. Buy a metro carnet (ten tickets at a discount) and you can be anywhere in a few minutes.

This last trip we stayed at the Marriott on the Champs. Nice hotel, very very touristy area. If not using points, stay elsewhere.

Next time I may look for something in the Marais which is not so very full of tourists--and close to the newly remodeled Picasso Museum.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:29 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
A good central location is the Opera area, although it is very crowded and some might consider it too touristy.

Sounds like this is a special occasion. If money is no object, I would recommend the IC Le Grand and get a Club floor with access to the lounge. The Hotel Scribe which faces the IC is another nice property.

Paris is a very compact city and no matter where you stay, public transportation can get you anywhere efficiently.

You might want to start with this link to get an idea of the different "arrondisements" or districts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrondissements_of_Paris
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ex-Hilton Accor at the Eiffel Tower? http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-...er/index.shtml Nice tower views, catch the bus, metro, water bus etc. onward and great walking.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:17 pm

We are fans of the Marais.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the 6th and 7th, the area that includes Saint Germain des Pres.

If you plan to use public transportation from/to CDG, look at maps showing the airport bus stops as well as the stations on the RER line from CDG. Transferring to the subway system with luggage is a big pain.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
An important question is, how much money are you willing to spend? Paris offers something for (nearly) everyone!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
There are a few small hotels on Rue Saint-Louis, which runs down the middle of Ile Saint-Louis in the Seine near Notre-Dame Cathedral. Not cheap, but if you want romantic atmosphere, that location is hard to beat.

That said, you've gotten several suggestions here. Everyone has a different idea. The good news is that none of us is wrong. You are, after all, asking about Paris.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurobonus
Many thanks everyone. The links and information led me from one place to another, and I came accross this place which seems to tick all my boxes. All booked up and ready to go.

http://www.plazatoureiffel.com/en/

Appreciate all the help - many thanks all
Old Aug 8, 2015, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scrudgy
Some love it. Some hate it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...de_France.html

You had boxes to tick? Who knew?
Old Aug 8, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
see the stickie in the france section

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/franc...need-know.html

lots of info in there and links to info on hotels in paris
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:32 am

Not to hijack the thread, i am staying at the hyatt louvre. Going with 2 toddlers and had to book 2 rooms.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 8:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iridium
Not to hijack the thread, i am staying at the hyatt louvre. Going with 2 toddlers and had to book 2 rooms.
and....?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Scrudgy
Many thanks everyone. The links and information led me from one place to another, and I came accross this place which seems to tick all my boxes. All booked up and ready to go.

http://www.plazatoureiffel.com/en/

Appreciate all the help - many thanks all
You'd be a bit far from the center.

I would suggest a hotel (the name skips me) just next to L'ecole des beaux Arts, a gem of a hotel. Wonderful little bar and great restaurant. Extremely nice. Will try and find the name. Here it is: http://www.l-hotel.com

A special hotel for a special occasion. IMO

Last edited by Yahillwe; Aug 20, 2015 at 4:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.