Search

A Week in Normandy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
A Week in Normandy

I am fortunate enough to have a friend who is giving me the use of his apartment in Bayeux for a week beginning later next week. Our plans (four of us) include visiting the Bayeux Tapestry, D-Day beaches, Giverny, Jumiege, Mont St. Michel and Rouen Cathedral. I have done all these things quite a few years ago, but I will be with three others who have not, so I want to share these things with them. We will be renting a car at CDG and take off from there. We'll probably go to Giverny first or last for logistical reasons.

Does anyone have recommendations of other things to see and do, including restaurants (I'm told Bayeux has some good restaurants and I will be asking my friend for recommendations when I get the keys to his place)? We're up for most anything. I also have an interest in doing some tastings of cider and calvados. Can anyone make any recommendations of places that might have tours and/or tastings? Any great sightseeing to recommend?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 10:37 pm

Earlier this month, we went to La Rapiere and L'Alchimie. Both were excellent, with a small nod to La Rapiere as a bit more elegant.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I have heard nothing but good things about Honfleur (and should not be too out of the way since you mention Rouen). I lived in Caen quite a while ago, and never made it there. Also St. Malo (on the far side of Mont St. Michel) is quite pretty too.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
A Week in Normandy

Thank you both. I went to Honfleur several years ago too. Very pretty as I recall. Thanks for the reminder.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Caen

We did this trip a couple of years ago, and were based in Caen. We cycled on bike paths from Caen to Sword Beach one day, then drove another to Juno and onto the US war cemetery. Visiting the Commonwealth Graves Commission
sites was particularly moving.

Staying in Caen, we made a good contact via airbnb. PM me if you want the contact details for accommodation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.