Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

Passport Validity for France Entry - state.gov Says >6 mo Needed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi All,

I am leaving to Berlin in two days (6/7/15) and returning from France on 6/20/15. My passport expires 10/26/15, and I will be taking a train into France on 6/16/15. I didn't think much of it when planning the trip because a lot of websites say you only need 3 months or more passport validity upon exiting France. However, the US government site below also states that you need to have 6 months validity upon entering France!

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/france.html

American Airlines (AA) has confirmed that it's not an issue and will for sure let me board (CSR noted it on my account). Am I screwed? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Do they even check passports intra-Shengen on trains these days?

Here' what a Timatic search came up with based on your passport expiration:

Type: Ok
Summary

Yes, The travel documentations held by the traveler are sufficient!

France - Destination Passport

The following regulations apply to children/minors:

Alien minors up to/including 17 years of age can be included in parent's passport, provided travelling with their parents.
Important:

Passports and/or passport replacing documents issued more than 10 years prior to date of travel are not accepted.

France - Destination Visa

Additional information:

Schengen visa is also valid for French Guiana, French West Indies and Reunion, provided endorsed "Also valid for French territories being in observation of the respective French territories".

Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

France - Destination Health

This information is for guide purposes only. Other health organisations may recommend alternative precautions.

Vaccinations not required.

Modify SearchCountry informationSend to customer

© IATA Netherlands BV 2015 all rights reserved. Usage subject to Terms of use
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by jas0n
Hi All,

I am leaving to Berlin in two days (6/7/15) and returning from France on 6/20/15. My passport expires 10/26/15, and I will be taking a train into France on 6/16/15. I didn't think much of it when planning the trip because a lot of websites say you only need 3 months or more passport validity upon exiting France. However, the US government site below also states that you need to have 6 months validity upon entering France!

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...ry/france.html

American Airlines (AA) has confirmed that it's not an issue and will for sure let me board (CSR noted it on my account). Am I screwed? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't depend on the advice given by a foreign government - the US doesn't decide what rules apply to France, nor would I depend on them to be accurate in their information.

Try this to see what rules apply: it's the database that the airlines use to decide if you can travel legally or not.

If you're still unsure, but feel that you are ok, take a printout of the result when you check in.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I wouldn't depend on the advice given by a foreign government - the US doesn't decide what rules apply to France, nor would I depend on them to be accurate in their information.

Try this to see what rules apply: it's the database that the airlines use to decide if you can travel legally or not.

If you're still unsure, but feel that you are ok, take a printout of the result when you check in.
DocSavage has already cut & pasted the relevant TIMATIC language into the post above yours.

OP is fine. What the USG thinks is irrelevant. All that matters is what France thinks. Not much more to be done here.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
DocSavage has already cut & pasted the relevant TIMATIC language into the post above yours.
Thank you for your valiant attempt at putting me in my place I was making my post at the same time DocSavage was posting. I'm so dreadfully sorry if I've transgressed some obscure FT rule about simultaneous posting, I may well be forced to report myself to the moderators.

OP is fine. What the USG thinks is irrelevant. All that matters is what France thinks. Not much more to be done here.
I have already made that point in the post above yours
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize intra-Shengan trains were typically lax with this stuff -- this was really my only worry. Sigh...I work at a company that supports the USG, and the USG never fails at...failing me.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:57 pm
Suspended

Cool

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize intra-Shengan trains were typically lax with this stuff -- this was really my only worry. Sigh...I work at a company that supports the USG, and the USG never fails at...failing me.
Actually, my question about intra-Shengen checks was an truly a question that I don't know the answer to.

Based on the Timatic info, you should be fine. It's late, but any chance you could call a French consulate and ask them?

If I were traveling, I'd feel safe going. I really doubt you'll have even the slightest question.

Here's another State Department website that shows only a three month requirement for Shengen entry/exit.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...act-sheet.html

Travel to European Countries in the Schengen Area

Check the expiration date on your passport carefully before traveling to Europe. Entry into any of the 26 European countries in the Schengen area for short-term tourism, a business trip, or in transit to a non-Schengen destination, requires that your passport be valid for at least three months beyond your intended date of departure. If your passport does not meet the Schengen requirements, you may be refused boarding by the airline at your point of origin or while transferring planes. You could also be denied entry when you arrive in the Schengen area. For this reason, we recommend that your passport have at least six months’validity remaining whenever you travel abroad. You can find passport validity requirements for your destination country, along with other important information, on our Country Specific Information pages. To ensure that your travel plans are not disrupted, plan ahead to renew your passport before traveling. Visit our passport website for more information on applying for a new or renewal passport.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:58 pm

It's not being lax, it's about being borderless: strictly speaking there is freedom of movement between Schengen countries, and you should not be required to show your passport when traveling from one to another. Once you're in, as long as you don't stray from Schengen, you should be ok as long as you don't overstay and your passport remains valid.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Actually, my question about intra-Shengen checks was an truly a question that I don't know the answer to.
Woops, that makes sense. I won't be expecting them to be lax. We're starting in Berlin and heading to Amsterdam (plane), Brussels (train), and Paris (train) in that order. I called the consulate in Los Angeles, and the first person to pick up assured me I'll be OK. The US passport office, over the phone, suggested I head to Canada instead -_-...
Old Jun 5, 2015, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Sounds like a great trip. Have fun!
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Once you're in, as long as you don't stray from Schengen, you should be ok as long as you don't overstay and your passport remains valid.
Not quite, valid passport is not enough. It has to be valid for at least 3 more months at the time of departing from the Schengen area.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

Just to follow up: we had no passport issues. We traveled via train from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris via Thalys and they never checked our passports. Also, EasyJet employees had no issues with our passport expiration dates when flying from Berlin to Amsterdam.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
Just to follow up: we had no passport issues. We traveled via train from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris via Thalys and they never checked our passports. Also, EasyJet employees had no issues with our passport expiration dates when flying from Berlin to Amsterdam.
That makes sense - those rules quoted (3 months beyond stay) apply when entering the Schengen area, but not when traveling within Schengen.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 5:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Myyra
That makes sense - those rules quoted (3 months beyond stay) apply when entering the Schengen area, but not when traveling within Schengen.
Indeed. For example, non-EU/EEA citizens who are permanent residents of a Schengen country can use their foreign passport as ID and for departure (assuming any transit and destination counties are fine with the foreign passport user using a soon-expiring passport for transit/entry) until and unless the passport expires or is otherwise invalidated by the passport-issuing authority.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
Entering France December 25th / May 3rd expiration

My father has trip planned from NYC to Paris on Christmas. His passport expires on May 3rd, 2016. Will he encounter issues? If so, does anyone know whether it's possible to get this renewed?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.