Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

England or France for 3-4 days stopover ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

(This question is England & France, so please feel free to move if there is other more appropriate forum)
We will be flying from Los Angeles to Bangalore (India) on mid October. We have sufficient time, so we are wishing to take 3 or 4 days stopover at Paris or London. We are confused, which one should we choose ?
Our interest - Usually we are not much into city life or architectures, but definitely would like to see iconic ones. We are more of nature lover, scenic places and roads. I never visited any of European country, but I did many long road trips in US (8-10 hours a day).
Would somebody like to comment and help us to decide on one of place ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Last edited by abhisheks77; May 23, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Old May 23, 2015, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by abhisheks77
Hi,

(This question is England & France, so please feel free to move if there is other more appropriate forum)
We will be flying from Los Angeles to Bangalore (India) on mid October. We have sufficient time, so we are wishing to take 3 or 4 days stopover at Zurich or London. We are confused, which one should we choose ?
Our interest - Usually we are not much into city life or architectures, but definitely would like to see iconic ones. We are more of nature lover, scenic places and roads. I never visited any of European country, but I did many long road trips in US (8-10 hours a day).
Would somebody like to comment and help us to decide on one of place ?
Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
You might want your thread moved, as neither London (UK) nor Zurich (Switzerland) is in France.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajGoes
You might want your thread moved, as neither London (UK) nor Zurich (Switzerland) is in France.
Sorry, my bad. I meant Paris instead of Zurich. I have corrected it in my original post.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: United, TAP Victoria, AVIOS
If you have never been to either location, London or Paris would both offer a great deal. If you do decide on Paris, mid October is still high season for hotels so I would arrange for accommodations quickly if Paris is your choice.
Old May 24, 2015, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Yes, this would be out first time.
As I mentioned earlier, we are more of nature and scenic lover, we will look more out of London or Paris. May be extend our days and make it 4-5 days to see places around.
Old May 25, 2015, 3:19 am

Originally Posted by abhisheks77
As I mentioned earlier, we are more of nature and scenic lover <...>
In that case, forget about London or Paris. Fly into Paris CDG and take the first TGV train to the south of France. Rent a car there and drive around for 4 days.
Old May 25, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Both Paris and London have great iconic sites.
I prefer Paris but that is a personal choice/taste.
If you like nature and outdoors then neither are good for you. Apart from a few parks none will provide you the "nature" experience.

I agree with the south of France. I would take a train to Lyon and rent a car to drive around Provence and the French Riviera.
You could also head towards the north and enjoy parts of Belgium

If you want something closer to nature then maybe fly to Zurich/Geneve and visit Switzerland. You could also try Munich and enjoy the south of Germany. Flying to Vienna and visiting Austria and Slovenia may be nice.

On the other hand if you have never been to Europe, how about just staying in Paris and take a day trip to Versailles (beautiful gardens and forests around it), visit Giverny (Monet's place) and maybe even a day trip to the region of champagne. Paris is a great place to make your first stop in Europe.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

It seems like, I should visit Paris for famous sites and then take train for Switzerland to get maximum from my limited time. That will give me most scenic places. Am I thinking correctly ?
Old May 27, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: TK M&S Elite, AF FB Jeune, AMEX AF Gold, Hhonors Silver
I would recommand you to have a stop in Paris, take a TGV to Nice; You have many possibilities, such as "Gorges du Verdon" in the "Parc du Verdon", the "Camargue", or the "Vallée de la Roya" in the "Parc du Mercantour" (the last one is my favorite).

If they are all located in the south, one of them is enough for three or four days. You will have to rent a car to go there easily.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Thanks much. I will look to this possibility
Old May 27, 2015, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

As suggested, I read about lot of places in South France. I will be travelling in October month. If I have to compare amazing sceneries and stunning beauty, is it a fair comparison between South France and Switzerland ?
While in South France, if I get a bit of Geneva, will it be good enough ?
Or there is nothing comparable to Lucerne/Interlaken and surrounding areas ?
Old Jun 4, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
We were just in both London and Paris (eight days each); we'd been to London once before for ten days.

If I had to choose between these two cities I'd pick London without hesitation, but it is a very subjective thing. You could easily prefer either one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.