Euro 2016 Soccer--Location recommendation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2015, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR

The European Soccer Cup is in France in June 2016. The games will be in 9 cities, but I don't where my team will play until the final draw is in December 2015. I don't want to wait that long to book a house. Even if I knew, my team would play in 3 cities, so some travel is required regardless.

The host cities are:

Lille, Lens, Paris, St. Ettienne, Lyon, Toulouse, Marseille, Bordeaux and Nice. Basically a cluster up North and one down South.

I am travelling with friends and family and not all are soccer fans, so I am looking for a recommendation on a quaint, cute location that is somewhat central in France (no coastal location) that makes it somewhat easy to get to the stadiums by train but also offers regional beauty, architecture and sites to see. I don't know the difference between Burgundy, Provence or Bordeaux.

When I look at airbnb for example, I get a ton of cool houses but I know nothing about the regions. If this were Italy, I would like to stay in the Tuscany region.

Any recommendations?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
IMHO the best choice would be Lyon. That's where a lot of good matches should be and it is very close to Saint Etienne. Lyon is getting a posh new stadium for next year. Also Lyon has direct train service to all those cities except Lens and Bordeaux and those you can reach via Paris (or Bordeaux via Toulouse). If you chose Paris you'd be spending a lot more time on trains and probably paying more. Of course the final will be in Paris, but Lyon-Paris is 2 hours by TGV.

You could also choose Saint Etienne which should be even cheaper, as well as closer to the southern cities, but Lyon is a much nicer city to spend time in.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Thank you... I'll start looking into that region.

We may also take some cooking lessons while there. Any suggestions on ENGLISH speaking classes that are short, fun and enjoyable?
Old Apr 8, 2015, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Thank you... I'll start looking into that region.

We may also take some cooking lessons while there. Any suggestions on ENGLISH speaking classes that are short, fun and enjoyable?
Sorry as I speak French and don't cook much I can't be of much help here. Maybe call up a concierge at one of the 5 star hotels and ask? There are some lovely castles just outside of Lyon and up here in Burgundy that host plenty of foreign visitors. I would expect that some of them might have cooking classes in English. Google around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.