Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > France and Monaco
Reload this Page >

What to do with 11 hours in Paris (transit between CDG-ORY)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Hello!

I'm returning to London from Delhi with my partner, and we have 11 hours layover in Paris on Sunday April 12, including a transit from CDG to Orly airport.

We arrive at 0600 and need to check in to Orly at 1700, so have quite a bit of time, and will have luggage with us.

How would you recommend we could make the best of this time?

Thank you!

JRM
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Have you been to Paris before? What kind of stuff are you into? And how knackered do you expect to be after an overnight flight in from India?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
To be honest, I'd be tempted to hop on the Eurostar and be back in London in time for lunch. :-)
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

I've been to Paris before, and I live in London so it's not difficult to get to. I'm coming from an overnight flight from Delhi, where I'll be sleeping-ish.

That's why I'm not too bothered about rushing around and seeing the big sights!

Perhaps some food and relaxation options, or people watch at a cafe. Any recommendations?

Eurostar is an option but I shouldn't rush home just for the sake of it, and additional cost. However I can see why some would!
Kamalaasaa likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 12:42 am

My first stop would be the Gare du Nord, to put my luggage in a luggage locker. (Alernatively, you can use the ones at Montparnasse, if you plan on taking the AF bus to Orly from there.)
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by Koby
My first stop would be the Gare du Nord, to put my luggage in a luggage locker. (Alernatively, you can use the ones at Montparnasse, if you plan on taking the AF bus to Orly from there.)
I would do Montparnasse, leave the luggage in the locker. Have lunch at Chez Dumont (a typical french resto, a bit on the higher end in terms of prices) walk to Cafe flor have coffee and people watch then take the 94 (depending how much you want to walk to catch it) or 95 (easier to catch from the cafe) to the gate, pick up the luggage and take the AF bus to ORY.

A nice day.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yahillwe
I would do Montparnasse, leave the luggage in the locker. Have lunch at Chez Dumont (a typical french resto, a bit on the higher end in terms of prices) walk to Cafe flor have coffee and people watch then take the 94 (depending how much you want to walk to catch it) or 95 (easier to catch from the cafe) to the gate, pick up the luggage and take the AF bus to ORY.

A nice day.
That's a great idea, especially regarding the luggage logistics.

This is exactly what I was hoping for

Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Delices Exotiques,Order of the Platinum Hairbrush,Her Royal Diamond
Originally Posted by j_r_m

Thanks!
But reserve at Dumont.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: Whatever fleeces my wallet the least

j_r_m, mini-DO? I have an even longer layover on the same day, arriving 30 minutes after you...
Old Mar 28, 2015, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j_r_m

Thanks!
Oops sunday most places are closed. If you eat meat, then I'd go to L'entrcote on Rue St Benoit, in the 6th, or Marbeuf in the 8th.

So, am redirecting… You take the AF bus to Montparnasse, find a luggage store at the gare. But a few bus/metro tickets FROM the station, those you can use a few times within 1:30 (unless they changed the rules). Take the 92 to to ecole Militaire then take the 80 (direction port de Versaille) stop at La Motte-Picquet-grenelle. Visit the bustling market. Have coffee and le petit dej at one of the cafes. For a real experience, go to Moka cafe corner of grenelle and violet, and stand at the bar while having your croissant and coffee. You'll see lots of the merchants and locals drinking coffee or wine and just get a real authentic Parisian experience. If you are up to it, walk on Le motte picquet back, you'll pass the tour eiffel, you can walk the champs. (be careful of the pickpockets). Keep walking, cross the river at the Alma bridge, go up the GV right on Rue Marbeuf, stand in line for their opening have a great steak/frites with their wine, then a plate of cheese and to finish it off with the best profiterole. You can walk it off by walking toward st germain, or you can go back GV, at the place, cross and find where the 63 bus is, NOT and I repeat NOT towards La Muette, ( you could ask the bus driver). Stop at St Germain and go to Flor, (am a Flor chick and not les deux maggots), sit outside (if you don't mind the cigs) and watch the world go by. You won't be seeing the regulars since most would be away, it is sunday after all. Then take the 95 back.

Now, if you don't eat meat, red meat or any meat, across from L'entrecote there is a famous Brasserie. Forgot the name, but you can find the name using google maps.

A nice typical Parisian experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.