Search

Tell me about the Vexin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 2:26 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Tell me about the Vexin

Not sure how many here are familiar with it, but...

In order to meet up with some friends from the UK, near Paris, etc, and based on some last-minute searching for a decent weekend gite, I'm strapping the bikes to the back of the car, and heading to the Vexin. Looks like a lovely area.

I do know Vernon and Giverny - but can anyone give any recommendations for things to see (by bike) in this area? I see there's an old railway line converted for cycling too. Restaurants/brasseries for lunch and dinner would be appreciated too if you know the area well!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have always cycled through on my way to Paris rather than stopped and stayed so cannot really recommend things to visit as such.

One thing you might give some thought about though, given your interest is cycling, is whether you need a car while there. If not, why not just take the bikes? You could take a Southern train to Newhaven (assuming you do not want to ride the British part of the journey), take the ferry over and cycle the excellent avenue verte from Dieppe to Forges. It is an easy, gentle ride on a converted railway line. An absolute gem and model of what long distance cycling paths can be like.* At that point, you could head towards St Germer de Fly and its abbey and then South towards the Vexin.

On the Western edge of the Vexin, the vallée de l’Epte is supposed to offer a beautiful bike ride (presumably that is the one you are referring to in your post?) although I have not personally ridden it as I have always headed straight towards Paris. You may find this link useful if you have not already come across it. When I first researched it, I recall coming across a number of blogs on London to Paris by bike, which go through the Vexin and make various recommendations of places to visit along the way but I have not kept any of them in my bookmarks. You might want to do an internet search on "London to Paris by bike" or "Paris-Londres a velo" to see if anything of interest comes up.

The whole area has a very pleasant rural feel to it (until you get near to Paris, that is). The main plateau can be a bit boring to ride after a while but the edges and valleys tend to offer more interest.

[*]another one which is also superb but in a totally different area is the one from Chalons to Macon via Givry and Cluny in Southern Burgundy
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:11 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Thanks, NickB! Will try some of those links/searches.

The driving is basically down to a lack of time - this is more about meeting up with friends from Hauts-de-Seine than cycling in itself. The cycling is a pleasant bonus

We will actually be staying right in the Vallée de l'Epte, so I'm really looking forward to cycling there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.